Topics

moderated Dropbox Help

Les Kriegler

Hi All,

I am assisting a lady with Dropbox. Her life partner set up all of her files in the cloud, but not on her machine. He recently died, and she does not know how to use Dropbox to change its behavior.  when she accesses a .pdf file, of which she has many, it downloads and opens in Edge. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat on to her machine and chose to use Adobe as the default when opening .pdf files, but they always open in Edge. I’m guessing this is because they are always downloading from the cloud. I wish to have her files stored on her machine. As I use OneDrive, I’m not familiar with how to accomplish this task. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Best,

Les

David Griffith

There are a few ways of achieving what you want.
The most important thing is to make sure you have the DropBox Desktop installed as this is not entirely clear from your email.
Depending on how much is in the Cloud and how large her hard disc is the easiest way may be to turn off Smart sync in settings and specify all the folders you want to have definitely available locally to to the lady you are helping.
Another approach is to allow smart sync to continue but to them simply go the the relevant folder and bring up the context menu and find the dropbox options - here you can specify the options for that folder - the options are local and online. This is very similar to the ONeDrive option to “always keep on device” option.
 You of course need to set the folders or files to local to avoid the need to download them. It will take a few minutes to download and catchup.
I am not on a Windows machine at the moment so I cannot give stop by step but if you bring up the context menu in file explorer on your DropBox synched folders you should be able to find the options for local or offline.

David G.

On 3 Sep 2020, at 11:46, Les Kriegler <kriegler01@...> wrote:

Hi All,
I am assisting a lady with Dropbox. Her life partner set up all of her files in the cloud, but not on her machine. He recently died, and she does not know how to use Dropbox to change its behavior.  when she accesses a .pdf file, of which she has many, it downloads and opens in Edge. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat on to her machine and chose to use Adobe as the default when opening .pdf files, but they always open in Edge. I’m guessing this is because they are always downloading from the cloud. I wish to have her files stored on her machine. As I use OneDrive, I’m not familiar with how to accomplish this task. Any assistance will be appreciated.
Best,

Les

Hi Les,

I believe the lady you're assisting needs to install the Dropbox client on her computer. This will install the Dropbox folders containing all of her Dropbox data currently in the cloud provided she signs into it with the same Dropbox account. I would expect that if she executes a pdf file from its local computer location, Adobe Acrobat should open with that file based on how you set the default file program. You can download the Dropbox client here:

https://www.dropbox.com/install

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Les Kriegler
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 5:47 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Dropbox Help

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Les Kriegler

Hi Alan,

I wound up solving the problem. I was able to locate the setting that had all pdf files opening in Edge. I was able to change it to Adobe Acrobat. Now, in the testing I did after doing this, all the pdf’s we tried now open in Acrobat. Thanks for the assist. I had installed the Dropbox app as it turns out. What a relief!

Best,

Les

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2020 12:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Dropbox Help

Hi Les,

I believe the lady you're assisting needs to install the Dropbox client on her computer. This will install the Dropbox folders containing all of her Dropbox data currently in the cloud provided she signs into it with the same Dropbox account. I would expect that if she executes a pdf file from its local computer location, Adobe Acrobat should open with that file based on how you set the default file program. You can download the Dropbox client here:

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Les Kriegler

Hi David,

Thanks. Great information. You will see my reply to Alan’s message. It’s interesting as now, when the files open in Acrobat, they are not being downloaded as before. So we are good for now!

Best,

Les

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2020 11:06 AM
Cc: jfw@groups.io

There are a few ways of achieving what you want.

The most important thing is to make sure you have the DropBox Desktop installed as this is not entirely clear from your email.

Depending on how much is in the Cloud and how large her hard disc is the easiest way may be to turn off Smart sync in settings and specify all the folders you want to have definitely available locally to to the lady you are helping.

Another approach is to allow smart sync to continue but to them simply go the the relevant folder and bring up the context menu and find the dropbox options - here you can specify the options for that folder - the options are local and online. This is very similar to the ONeDrive option to “always keep on device” option.

You of course need to set the folders or files to local to avoid the need to download them. It will take a few minutes to download and catchup.

I am not on a Windows machine at the moment so I cannot give stop by step but if you bring up the context menu in file explorer on your DropBox synched folders you should be able to find the options for local or offline.

David G.

On 3 Sep 2020, at 11:46, Les Kriegler <kriegler01@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Les,

Outstanding. Glad you figured it out. Just out of curiosity, where did you locate the setting that had all PDF files opening in Edge?

Alan

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 11:35 AM

Hi Alan,

I wound up solving the problem. I was able to locate the setting that had all pdf files opening in Edge. I was able to change it to Adobe Acrobat. Now, in the testing I did after doing this, all the pdf’s we tried now open in Acrobat. Thanks for the assist. I had installed the Dropbox app as it turns out. What a relief!

Best,

Les

Hi Les,

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Mike B

Hi Alan,

See if the notes below will help:

Instructions For Choosing Default Reader For PDF Files
1.  Find a PDF file on the system.

2.  Press alt+enter for properties.

3.  Now shift+tab to the Change button and press it.  You will be  asked what program you want to use to open PDF files.  Tab and there will be a list
of proposed programs.

4.  Once you are on your preferred program, select it and you should be good to go.

Tom 

Try the below and see if it solves your problem.

1. Bring up the search box.

2. Type default apps and hit enter.

3. Tab to Set defaults by app Link.

4. Tab again, you should land on a list of apps.

5. Arrow down until you find the desired PDF reader, QRead, Adobe Dc  etc.

6. Hit enter.

7. It should say selected expanded button.

8. Tab to manage button and hit enter.

9. Now it'll read the different file types such as PDF, Epub.

10. Tab to each one and hit enter and make your changes.

Best,

Sadam Ahmed

JAWS & iOS certified
sadam@...

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 9:52 AM

Les,

Outstanding. Glad you figured it out. Just out of curiosity, where did you locate the setting that had all PDF files opening in Edge?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Hi Les,

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Mike,

Thanks very much. That's a much easier way than drilling down into the Windows Explorer settings.

Alan

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 12:04 PM

Hi Alan,

See if the notes below will help:

Instructions For Choosing Default Reader For PDF Files
1.  Find a PDF file on the system.

2.  Press alt+enter for properties.

3.  Now shift+tab to the Change button and press it.  You will be  asked what program you want to use to open PDF files.  Tab and there will be a list
of proposed programs.

4.  Once you are on your preferred program, select it and you should be good to go.

Tom 

Try the below and see if it solves your problem.

1. Bring up the search box.

2. Type default apps and hit enter.

3. Tab to Set defaults by app Link.

4. Tab again, you should land on a list of apps.

5. Arrow down until you find the desired PDF reader, QRead, Adobe Dc  etc.

6. Hit enter.

7. It should say selected expanded button.

8. Tab to manage button and hit enter.

9. Now it'll read the different file types such as PDF, Epub.

10. Tab to each one and hit enter and make your changes.

Best,

Sadam Ahmed

JAWS & iOS certified
sadam@...

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 9:52 AM

Les,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Hi Les,

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Les Kriegler

Hi Alan,

I’d love to tell you this. However, I was signed on to this individual’s computer. I was so excited to locate this, I changed the setting and left that area. I’ve been looking and will continue to look. If I locate the setting, I’ll report back. I didn’t think it would be that hard to find, but it has been.

Best,

Les

Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2020 12:53 PM

Les,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Hi Les,

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Les,

No worries. Mike B. Posted a way to access that setting using the file properties dialog of the file type of interest. Don't spend any more time on this.

Thanks for your efforts.

Alan Lemly 

with Outlook for iOS

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Les Kriegler <kriegler01@...>
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 12:38:05 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

Hi Alan,

I’d love to tell you this. However, I was signed on to this individual’s computer. I was so excited to locate this, I changed the setting and left that area. I’ve been looking and will continue to look. If I locate the setting, I’ll report back. I didn’t think it would be that hard to find, but it has been.

Best,

Les

Les,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Hi Les,

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Les Kriegler

Hi Alan,

Thanks for understanding. I think her setting was different than my Dropbox. I really didn’t want to alter anything on her system. Once I was able to change her setting so that all files opened in Acrobat, that’s the only change I needed to make. I don’t recall if the Dropbox app was running. You know what they say, if it aint broke! Anyway, I have Mike’s message also, I’ll check it out for sure.

Best,

Les

Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 10:03 AM

Les,

No worries. Mike B. Posted a way to access that setting using the file properties dialog of the file type of interest. Don't spend any more time on this.

Thanks for your efforts.

Alan Lemly 

with Outlook for iOS

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Les Kriegler <kriegler01@...>

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Les,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Hi Les,

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

Van Lant, Robin

Le,

Could  it be that  you are referring to the “Default Apps” section?  Someone on this list a while ago taught me to type “default apps” in the Cortana search window and that opens the dialog I now use for adjusting all sorts of default app behavior. 

Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 8:03 AM

Les,

Thanks for your efforts.

Alan Lemly 

with Outlook for iOS

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Les,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Best,

Les

Hi Les,

Alan Lemly

Hi All,

Best,

Les

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.