From: aaron lane
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2021 2:12 PM
Subject: Drag & drop problem - JAWS17

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created using HTML & JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it is a Chrome legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item, then lock the left mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able to navigate to the point in which I need to drop the item. I've tried switching to the PC cursor, but still nothing. I can move with, shift + Alt, then arrow to the spot, but when I then unlock the left mouse button, the item was not moved. I have also written a Script that locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the coordinates that I need, then I unlock the button myself. This script works but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

aaron lane

I figured that might be causing me issues. I'm going to look in to getting an upgrade. I've been reluctant, because I have a lot of Jaws script files that I would need to convert, but it's probably not as complicated as I think it is.

On 5/31/2021 4:49 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Aaron,

I think your biggest issue is the version of Jaws you're running.  J17 doesn't work well with Windows 10.  I could be wrong, but have you tried a newer version of Jaws?  Preferably J19 or up.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created using HTML & JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it is a Chrome legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item, then lock the left mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able to navigate to the point in which I need to drop the item. I've tried switching to the PC cursor, but still nothing. I can move with, shift + Alt, then arrow to the spot, but when I then unlock the left mouse button, the item was not moved. I have also written a Script that locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the coordinates that I need, then I unlock the button myself. This script works but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike B.

Hi Aaron,

J17 was, for lack of a better term, a throw away version.  Vispero was rewriting Jaws coding and J17 was minus some of the regular little features that were present in all other Jaws versions.  I won't go into all the details because I'm a dipshit when it comes to the computer lingo crap, but more knowledgeable members of the list might elaborate more.  So, as Randy suggested try J19, J20 or J21 as a demo and see how it goes.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created using HTML & JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it is a Chrome legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item, then lock the left mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able to navigate to the point in which I need to drop the item. I've tried switching to the PC cursor, but still nothing. I can move with, shift + Alt, then arrow to the spot, but when I then unlock the left mouse button, the item was not moved. I have also written a Script that locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the coordinates that I need, then I unlock the button myself. This script works but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

aaron lane

OK. So I'm just now looking in to upgrading. I see that now JAWS is a subscription service for home use. I'm trying to decide how I feel about that. My initial reaction is that I would really like to just purchase once and own it. what are your thoughts about that?

On 5/31/2021 11:20 PM, Mike B wrote:
Hi Aaron,

J17 was, for lack of a better term, a throw away version. Vispero was
rewriting Jaws coding and J17 was minus some of the regular little features
that were present in all other Jaws versions. I won't go into all the
details because I'm a dipshit when it comes to the computer lingo crap, but
more knowledgeable members of the list might elaborate more. So, as Randy
suggested try J19, J20 or J21 as a demo and see how it goes.

Stay safe & take care. Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say: "Close Enough!"

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created using HTML
& JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it is a Chrome
legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item, then lock the left
mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able to navigate to the point
in which I need to drop the item. I've tried switching to the PC cursor, but
still nothing. I can move with, shift + Alt, then arrow to the spot, but
when I then unlock the left mouse button, the item was not moved. I have
also written a Script that locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the
coordinates that I need, then I unlock the button myself. This script works
but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Aaron,

If you are in the US and have the option to buy Jaws via the subscription model this would be the way to go. I have been a Jaws user since the days of DOS in 1989 and in my over 30 years of using computers I rarely find it pays to not upgrade to whatever is the latest version of a program. If you would like to upgrade from Jaws 17 and you really should, in fact, I think with any of the latest Windows 10 versions it's a must, then it would probably cost a lot of money to do so in the conventional way. Then you really should buy your SMA every two years because once again I just don't think it's worth falling behind with Jaws given how quickly things change on the web and with Windows these days, and in the end the difference between your SMA price every two years and the annual subscription is quite minor.
The best thing to do here would be to simply call Vispero and tell them your situation and ask for what it would cost to upgrade the old way and then also discuss the subscription. Keep in mind that subscriptions is where things are going with many programs/applications and you can't necessary expect things to be the way they were 10 or 20 years ago; it's a different world.

Best regards,
Sieghard

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created
using HTML & JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it
is a Chrome legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item,
then lock the left mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able
to navigate to the point in which I need to drop the item. I've tried
switching to the PC cursor, but still nothing. I can move with, shift
+ Alt, then arrow to the spot, but when I then unlock the left mouse
button, the item was not moved. I have also written a Script that
locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the coordinates that I need,
then I unlock the button myself. This script works but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill White

Hi, Aaron. I feel the same way. If you buy the $90 per year JAWS subscription, and are unable to pay for your next year, within about a month, you will see your JAWS program revert to 40-minute mode. For this reason, I continue to by the 2-year SMA. This way, even if my JAWS is out of date, I still have a functioning license for it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created using HTML
& JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it is a Chrome
legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item, then lock the left
mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able to navigate to the point
in which I need to drop the item. I've tried switching to the PC cursor, but
still nothing. I can move with, shift + Alt, then arrow to the spot, but
when I then unlock the left mouse button, the item was not moved. I have
also written a Script that locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the
coordinates that I need, then I unlock the button myself. This script works
but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Weiss

I can see both sides of the coin for subscription versus SMA. If you can hold off for just a bit you may have the chance to save some money. Convention season is upon us and the NFB is going virtual again this year. Last year Vispero Gabe a 20% discount to everyone since they couldn’t hand out discount cards at convention. Since the NFB is virtual this year as well Vispero may again offer a discount to everyone again. This is 100% speculation on my part, but you might get the chance to save some money. Last year Eric was telling people during the convention that if they needed to bring their SMA current to call customer service the week of convention and they may offer the discount since the discount was only intended for the subscription. If you are going to stay with SMA it may be worth your time to see if Vispero offers a discount on the subscription and then try to work with customer service.

Jim Weiss
jimweiss72@icloud.com

On Jun 1, 2021, at 1:02 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

[...]

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Aaron,

beside your decision to update JAWS here are two things about Drag & Drop and scripting.

To my opinion Drag & Drop is sometimes hard to handle especially by using scripting. Sometimes it's necessary to drag the object right onto another object, sometimes you need to drag the object slightly before or slightly after an object. Sometimes it's possible to release the mouse and the object gets dropped and sometimes you need to press enter key to end the drop. So to find out what to do with drag & drop you need sometimes sighted help who described exactly where the cursor should be placed. In writing a JAWS script to do this work for you sometimes you need to add some extra pixels before or after or press enter key to finish the drop down.

Speaking of scripting in different JAWS versions: I'm using JAWS a long time and did a lot of scripting and I've never discovered problems in using my old scripts in new versions. All the old scripting key words still exists in newer JAWS versions and to verify this you can look up the JAWS functions you are using in your scripts in FSDN.chm, the help file from FS with all available JAWS functions (except UIA stuff).

All the best
Udo

Am 31.05.2021 um 23:12 schrieb aaron lane <ajbd777@...>:

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created using HTML & JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it is a Chrome legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item, then lock the left mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able to navigate to the point in which I need to drop the item. I've tried switching to the PC cursor, but still nothing. I can move with, shift + Alt, then arrow to the spot, but when I then unlock the left mouse button, the item was not moved. I have also written a Script that locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the coordinates that I need, then I unlock the button myself. This script works but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

aaron lane

Sounds great. Thanks much.

On 6/1/2021 12:23 PM, Jim Weiss via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Good point. I've noticed that lately. It will just have to be something new to get used to. Thanks.

[...]

Good idea.

I just got approval at work to purchase the commercial license, so I won't have to deal with the subscription for now. Thanks.

On 6/1/2021 12:05 PM, Bill White wrote:
[...]

Thanks Udo. I have noticed what you mean. Sometimes it will work, and then the very next time it won't. I've even checked the drop location, and it will still be correct. Other times the drop location has moved a bit in the APP.

I finally found the correct JAWS key combinations to accomplish the task, and it seems to be working consistently. So hopefully it will continue to work. Thanks for the info.

Am 31.05.2021 um 23:12 schrieb aaron lane <ajbd777@gmail.com>:

Hello. I'm using JAWS17 in Windows10, in a game that is created using HTML & JavaScript, and the game doesn't run in a browser, but it is a Chrome legacy window. When I place my Jaws cursor on an item, then lock the left mouse button with, Jaws Key + slash, I am not able to navigate to the point in which I need to drop the item. I've tried switching to the PC cursor, but still nothing. I can move with, shift + Alt, then arrow to the spot, but when I then unlock the left mouse button, the item was not moved. I have also written a Script that locks the left mouse button, and jumps to the coordinates that I need, then I unlock the button myself. This script works but not very often. Any help would be appreciated.

Angel

Can’t one pay a thousand  dollars and own the product?  Has Freedom Scientific done away with the perpetual license  option altogether?  I thought the upgrading fee was only for upgrades of the product.  Not for the original product which was purchased.

If one can still purchase a perpetual license, one need never revert to demo mode at all.  Sent from Mail for Windows 10

OK. So I'm just now looking in to upgrading. I see that now JAWS is a

subscription service for home use. I'm trying to decide how I feel about

that. My initial reaction is that I would really like to just purchase

once and own it. what are your thoughts about that?

On 5/31/2021 11:20 PM, Mike B wrote:

> Hi Aaron,

> J17 was, for lack of a better term, a throw away version.  Vispero was

> rewriting Jaws coding and J17 was minus some of the regular little features

> that were present in all other Jaws versions.  I won't go into all the

> details because I'm a dipshit when it comes to the computer lingo crap, but

> more knowledgeable members of the list might elaborate more.  So, as Randy

> suggested try J19, J20 or J21 as a demo and see how it goes.

> Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

> Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

Avast logo

Richard Turner

He does not need to buy it all over again, and he can stay with his Jaws 17 but it won’t serve him well if he is going to use Windows 10.

He has a perpetual license now.

But, he did not keep up with the Software Maintenance Agreements, SMA.

So, he would have to pay for the licenses to bring him current; which could be several hundred dollars, then he could stop with 2021 until it became out of date in a few years and then catch up again; or buy the licenses and the SMA and keep updating each year at the license renewal price.

Or, plan on just starting the annual subscription now at around $100 per year.

It all dpeneds on whether he really needs Jaws in its full capacity.

He might find that NVDA would be enough for him if he has been limping along with Jaws 17 all this time.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

Can’t one pay a thousand  dollars and own the product?  Has Freedom Scientific done away with the perpetual license  option altogether?  I thought the upgrading fee was only for upgrades of the product.  Not for the original product which was purchased.

If one can still purchase a perpetual license, one need never revert to demo mode at all.  Sent from Mail for Windows 10

OK. So I'm just now looking in to upgrading. I see that now JAWS is a

subscription service for home use. I'm trying to decide how I feel about

that. My initial reaction is that I would really like to just purchase

once and own it. what are your thoughts about that?

On 5/31/2021 11:20 PM, Mike B wrote:

> Hi Aaron,

> J17 was, for lack of a better term, a throw away version.  Vispero was

> rewriting Jaws coding and J17 was minus some of the regular little features

> that were present in all other Jaws versions.  I won't go into all the

> details because I'm a dipshit when it comes to the computer lingo crap, but

> more knowledgeable members of the list might elaborate more.  So, as Randy

> suggested try J19, J20 or J21 as a demo and see how it goes.

> Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

> Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

Hi, Angel. Yes, you can still buy an SMA, even if your current version of JAWS is far in arears. This would cost approximately $700, not a thousand dollars. This is what I said in a previous message. As long as I can keep up with my SMA's, I'll never change to a prescription from owning the current version.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Can’t one pay a thousand  dollars and own the product?  Has Freedom Scientific done away with the perpetual license  option altogether?  I thought the upgrading fee was only for upgrades of the product.  Not for the original product which was purchased.

If one can still purchase a perpetual license, one need never revert to demo mode at all.  Sent from Mail for Windows 10

OK. So I'm just now looking in to upgrading. I see that now JAWS is a

subscription service for home use. I'm trying to decide how I feel about

that. My initial reaction is that I would really like to just purchase

once and own it. what are your thoughts about that?

On 5/31/2021 11:20 PM, Mike B wrote:

> Hi Aaron,

> J17 was, for lack of a better term, a throw away version.  Vispero was

> rewriting Jaws coding and J17 was minus some of the regular little features

> that were present in all other Jaws versions.  I won't go into all the

> details because I'm a dipshit when it comes to the computer lingo crap, but

> more knowledgeable members of the list might elaborate more.  So, as Randy

> suggested try J19, J20 or J21 as a demo and see how it goes.

> Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

> Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

Vispero is willing to make deals with people that have fallen behind on their SMA's.  I recently upgraded someone from Jaws 15 to Jaws 2020 for around $250, but you have to call and ask for help with the upgrade.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Hi, Angel. Yes, you can still buy an SMA, even if your current version of JAWS is far in arears. This would cost approximately $700, not a thousand dollars. This is what I said in a previous message. As long as I can keep up with my SMA's, I'll never change to a prescription from owning the current version.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Can’t one pay a thousand  dollars and own the product?  Has Freedom Scientific done away with the perpetual license  option altogether?  I thought the upgrading fee was only for upgrades of the product.  Not for the original product which was purchased.

If one can still purchase a perpetual license, one need never revert to demo mode at all.  Sent from Mail for Windows 10

OK. So I'm just now looking in to upgrading. I see that now JAWS is a

subscription service for home use. I'm trying to decide how I feel about

that. My initial reaction is that I would really like to just purchase

once and own it. what are your thoughts about that?

On 5/31/2021 11:20 PM, Mike B wrote:

> Hi Aaron,

> J17 was, for lack of a better term, a throw away version.  Vispero was

> rewriting Jaws coding and J17 was minus some of the regular little features

> that were present in all other Jaws versions.  I won't go into all the

> details because I'm a dipshit when it comes to the computer lingo crap, but

> more knowledgeable members of the list might elaborate more.  So, as Randy

> suggested try J19, J20 or J21 as a demo and see how it goes.

> Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

> Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

My employer purchased a commercial license, and since I work at home as well, I have 2021 on both PCs. I'm glad to be done with all the little issues I was having. There are a lot of things I will have to learn on this new version though, since I was so far behind. Thanks all.