Topics

moderated drag and drop on a laptop

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

I am using JAWS 2020, and I am doing research ethics modules through the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. In the first quiz, and undoubtedly in others, it listed 3 possible responses that it wanted me to rank using drag and drop to reorder them.

When I look up the key strokes for that, it uses the num pad key, but I don’t have that on a laptop. Any advice about how to accomplish this? It seems I now also need that key to turn on the JAWS curser.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

             Take a look at the Quick Commands Reference (or whatever JAWS calls it, and it will be obvious) in the JAWS Help menu.  I don't know of a single JAWS command that does not have both a desktop (or laptop that has a number pad, which one generally uses desktop keyboard layout with) and a laptop layout command.

              If you intend to use this laptop in "full portable" mode you'll want to be using the laptop keyboard layout and the corresponding keystrokes for that layout.  You can also, of course, plug in an external full keyboard and use typical desktop keyboard layout with JAWS as well, but if you don't have it handy you'll need to know the laptop layout specific sequences.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Hi Cynthia,

The laptop keystroke for Drag and Drop is, Caps Lock, Shift + 8 on the number row.

Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 12:13 PM
Subject: drag and drop on a laptop

Hi All,

I am using JAWS 2020, and I am doing research ethics modules through the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. In the first quiz, and undoubtedly in others, it listed 3 possible responses that it wanted me to rank using drag and drop to reorder them.

When I look up the key strokes for that, it uses the num pad key, but I don’t have that on a laptop. Any advice about how to accomplish this? It seems I now also need that key to turn on the JAWS curser.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Cynthia

Mark

Earlier this year, I created an alternative format version for the module, in Word. Let me know if you want it.