Topics

moderated downloads view is now separated by file type

Don & Cher

Suddenly, after my folder list under downloads, the files are being listed by extension, i.e. .exe, .pdf or .zip. This is reeking havoc with alphabetical order. Any ideas as to the problem? Using Win 10, 1909. Thanks.

Cher

You've almost certainly accidentally clicked on (or the screen reader equivalent thereof) the column header for file type, and that's now what's being sorted on.

Get yourself focused on the Name column header and hit spacebar.  If the sort order is in the reverse of what you want, gain focus on it again and hit spacebar again, which will toggle the sort order from ascending to descending or vice versa.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Don & Cher

Thanks so much. I changed “group by” to none- and that seems to have fixed it. Have never seen this before- but my daughter is using my system now… so will likely see more new and amazing things 😊

Cher

You've almost certainly accidentally clicked on (or the screen reader equivalent thereof) the column header for file type, and that's now what's being sorted on.

Get yourself focused on the Name column header and hit spacebar.  If the sort order is in the reverse of what you want, gain focus on it again and hit spacebar again, which will toggle the sort order from ascending to descending or vice versa.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

How odd.

The "new" default Group by on the Downloads folder is by date, not file type.  I actually like it and have retained it as I'm generally looking for something more recent before I'm looking for something older, and when I am I can just search for the old stuff.  But I also clean out my Downloads folder pretty frequently and for anything I wish to keep long term I move it out of Downloads and into whatever folder I wish to archive it in almost immediately.  In most of my browsers I make them ask me where I want to save whatever I'm downloading rather than using the Downloads folder to begin with.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss