Topics

moderated Downloading and using Kindle books with JAWS

Gezim Rexha

Hi list,

Someone sent me some Kindle books, but I can’t open them, probably because Kindle is not installed on my PC. I would appreciate if you could instruct me ho to download  and how to use it with JAWS 19.

Cheers,

Gezim

Richard Turner

If you have a smart phone, the Kindle app works fine with either Talkback on Android, or VoiceOver on an iPhone.
Or, search for Accessible Kindle for PC, and install it.
You will need to login with your Amazon account, or create one.
Sighted assistance is helpful for that login screen, as it does not read right with JAWS.
HTH,

Richard
"There's a nap for that." 

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

On Mar 19, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

Someone sent me some Kindle books, but I can’t open them, probably because Kindle is not installed on my PC. I would appreciate if you could instruct me ho to download  and how to use it with JAWS 19.

Cheers,

Gezim

Gezim Rexha

I installed it both on my iPhone and PC, but I don’t know how to read books at any.

Any suggestions?

Gezim

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 12:39 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Downloading and using Kindle books with JAWS

If you have a smart phone, the Kindle app works fine with either Talkback on Android, or VoiceOver on an iPhone.

Sighted assistance is helpful for that login screen, as it does not read right with JAWS.

HTH,

Richard

Hi list,

Cheers,

Gezim

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Gezim/all,

If installed, then just go to your download link and press it for the book to download. Then find the kindle icon on your desktop or whatever and press it. You should ideally land on your title, which you can press on. Tabbing once, you will get to the table of contents from where you can select the part, chapter you need. Once you get more books, these will appear and I have found that right-arrowing is more handy then down-arrowing if you have many book, as I do have.

Hope this helps,

Takis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 2:32 AM

I installed it both on my iPhone and PC, but I don’t know how to read books at any.

Any suggestions?

Gezim

HTH,

Richard

Hi list,

Cheers,

Gezim

Abraham Sweiss

You will need to register all the devices where the Kindle reader is installed with your Amazon account. Once that is done the books should be automatically downloaded to those devices. There should be instructions on Amazon.com and how to register these devices.

Thanks,abraham 

On Mar 21, 2020, at 3:17 AM, Panagiotis Antonopoulos <pantonop2856@...> wrote:

Hi Gezim/all,

If installed, then just go to your download link and press it for the book to download. Then find the kindle icon on your desktop or whatever and press it. You should ideally land on your title, which you can press on. Tabbing once, you will get to the table of contents from where you can select the part, chapter you need. Once you get more books, these will appear and I have found that right-arrowing is more handy then down-arrowing if you have many book, as I do have.

Hope this helps,

Takis

Any suggestions?

Gezim

HTH,

Richard

Hi list,

Cheers,

Gezim

Gezim Rexha

Hi Takis,

Please excuse my ignorance, but once I get to the book title and its chapters, how can I read the book? Should I read it with JAWS, or are they audiobooks? I simply don’t know how to use it.

Best wishes,

Gezim

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Panagiotis Antonopoulos
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 8:17 AM

Hi Gezim/all,

Hope this helps,

Takis

Any suggestions?

Gezim

HTH,

Richard

Hi list,

Cheers,

Gezim

Richard Turner

For what it is worth.

Using NVDA is much easier.

Control+t is suppose to toggle the text to speech reading.

Spacebar is supposed to start and stop playback.

With Jaws, it appears that you have to use control+t to also start and stop playback.

If you have Kindle on your iPhone, you can use regular VoiceOver gestures to read the book.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 3:18 PM

Hi Takis,

Please excuse my ignorance, but once I get to the book title and its chapters, how can I read the book? Should I read it with JAWS, or are they audiobooks? I simply don’t know how to use it.

Best wishes,

Gezim

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Gezim/all,

Hope this helps,

Takis

Any suggestions?

Gezim

HTH,

Richard

Hi list,

Cheers,

Gezim

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Jesim/all,

I use a braille display, which might have made matters easier. What I do is tab to table of contents, see if there are items I want to skip such as acknowledgments etc., and I choose by arrowing down, the chapter I want to read, or say, the introduction. By hitting enter once highlighted, I am brought to that section and start reading.

Hope this helps,

Takis

Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 12:18 AM

Hi Takis,

Best wishes,

Gezim

Hi Gezim/all,

Hope this helps,

Takis

Any suggestions?

Gezim

HTH,

Richard

Hi list,

Cheers,

Gezim

Gezim Rexha

Thank you. control+t Worked.

Best wishes,

Gezim

Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 11:29 PM

For what it is worth.

Using NVDA is much easier.

Control+t is suppose to toggle the text to speech reading.

Spacebar is supposed to start and stop playback.

With Jaws, it appears that you have to use control+t to also start and stop playback.

If you have Kindle on your iPhone, you can use regular VoiceOver gestures to read the book.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 3:18 PM

Hi Takis,

Best wishes,

Gezim

Hi Gezim/all,

Hope this helps,

Takis

Any suggestions?

Gezim

HTH,

Richard

Hi list,

Cheers,

Gezim

Steve Matzura

I have probably twenty Kindle books, and if it weren't for Codex, I couldn't read any of them. All I can make my Kindle software do is read with the default Microsoft Core voice when I pres CTRL/T. If I choose to read in this way, I can't pause and restart the reading. It always starts from the beginning again. Using my braille display is also useless. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Richard Turner

Frankly, the last thing I would want to do is read Kindle books on my computer using Jaws.
I bought a new book recently that would not allow download; so I couldn't use Codex, but because I bought the Kindle book I could get the Audible version for about half price, so I did.
Otherwise, I only use Codex and then read it on my iPhone with Voice Dream Reader.

For me, when I thought I was stuck using the computer, control+t worked well enough. It would start over a sentence or two before the place I stopped, but not much more than that.

I bailed on that as soon as I found the deal on the audible version though.

Just my 2¢ Worth.

Richard
"There's a nap for that." - an anonymous cat in a window in Portland, Oregon.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 6:49 AM

I have probably twenty Kindle books, and if it weren't for Codex, I couldn't read any of them. All I can make my Kindle software do is read with the default Microsoft Core voice when I pres CTRL/T. If I choose to read in this way, I can't pause and restart the reading. It always starts from the beginning again. Using my braille display is also useless. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Jim Fettgather

Using the latest Jaws, and the latest version of Kindle for PC, I am
able to use standard Jaws reading commands just like reading a Word
document.
Of course, the book will read with whatever Jaws voice you like to
use, no propritary reading commands or strange voices.

On 3/23/20, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:
Frankly, the last thing I would want to do is read Kindle books on my
computer using Jaws.
I bought a new book recently that would not allow download; so I couldn't
use Codex, but because I bought the Kindle book I could get the Audible
version for about half price, so I did.
Otherwise, I only use Codex and then read it on my iPhone with Voice Dream
Reader.

For me, when I thought I was stuck using the computer, control+t worked well
enough. It would start over a sentence or two before the place I stopped,
but not much more than that.

I bailed on that as soon as I found the deal on the audible version though.

Just my 2¢ Worth.

Richard
"There's a nap for that." - an anonymous cat in a window in Portland,
Oregon.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 6:49 AM

I have probably twenty Kindle books, and if it weren't for Codex, I couldn't
read any of them. All I can make my Kindle software do is read with the
default Microsoft Core voice when I pres CTRL/T. If I choose to read in this