Topics

moderated Desktop short cut hot keys

Marty Hutchings

I am using JAWS 2020 with Windows 7 and have several hot keys set up to quickly open applications like JAWS, but they have stopped working.  I noticed this when I had shut down JAWS and tried to restart it with Alt + CTRL + J and nothing happened.  I later discovered that none of my hot key short cuts were working.  What would cause them to stop working?

Richard Turner

Apparently, some systems, mine included, and I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit; Jaws 2020 blocks the desktop hotkeys.
I worked with Eric Damery last fall after Jaws 2020 came out.
They thought the November or maybe the December update had fixed it, but they stopped working.
They work with other screen readers.

Later,

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Jun 10, 2020, at 9:50 PM, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:

I am using JAWS 2020 with Windows 7 and have several hot keys set up to quickly open applications like JAWS, but they have stopped working.  I noticed this when I had shut down JAWS and tried to restart it with Alt + CTRL + J and nothing happened.  I later discovered that none of my hot key short cuts were working.  What would cause them to stop working?

Adrian Spratt

Once you’ve created a desktop shortcut to a specific version of JAWS, try renaming it. for example, I’ve renamed JAWS 2020 as “JAWS 2020 shortcut.” This method was recommended by an FS tech support guy, and it has worked for me for several versions. Don’t ask me why.

To rename a file, place focus on the filename, then press F2 to bring up an edit field. Make the changes, then press enter.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 1:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Desktop short cut hot keys

Apparently, some systems, mine included, and I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit; Jaws 2020 blocks the desktop hotkeys.

They thought the November or maybe the December update had fixed it, but they stopped working.

Later,

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Mike B

Pinning the shortcut icons to the task bar never fails for me, but the drawback is that you're limited to how many you can pin to the taskbar.  These shortcuts can be accessed from anywhere on the computer.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:05 AM

Once you’ve created a desktop shortcut to a specific version of JAWS, try renaming it. for example, I’ve renamed JAWS 2020 as “JAWS 2020 shortcut.” This method was recommended by an FS tech support guy, and it has worked for me for several versions. Don’t ask me why.

To rename a file, place focus on the filename, then press F2 to bring up an edit field. Make the changes, then press enter.

Later,

Richard

Richard Turner

Yes Mike, that is what I had to do.

It works great and since I don’t use more than 10 shortcuts really it is enough.

Anything else I can just run from the search box after tapping the windows key.  Or, of course, go to the desktop and use first letter navigation.

Its just bloody strange that Freedom Scientific nor Microsoft have an explanation for why on some systems the standard desktop shortcuts don’t work and yet on other, seemingly very similar setups they do.

Got to love those gremlins.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:54 AM

Pinning the shortcut icons to the task bar never fails for me, but the drawback is that you're limited to how many you can pin to the taskbar.  These shortcuts can be accessed from anywhere on the computer.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:05 AM

Later,

Richard

Richard Turner

That has never worked for me.

Been there, done that.

I’m glad it works for you.

The pinning to the task bar works flawlessly, so long as I remember which number is which program, grin.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:06 AM

Later,

Richard