Topics

moderated Desktop short cut hot keys

Marty Hutchings

I am using JAWS 2020 with Windows 7 and have several hot keys set up to quickly open applications like JAWS, but they have stopped working.  I noticed this when I had shut down JAWS and tried to restart it with Alt + CTRL + J and nothing happened.  I later discovered that none of my hot key short cuts were working.  What would cause them to stop working?

Richard Turner

Apparently, some systems, mine included, and I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit; Jaws 2020 blocks the desktop hotkeys.
I worked with Eric Damery last fall after Jaws 2020 came out.
They thought the November or maybe the December update had fixed it, but they stopped working.
They work with other screen readers.

Later,

Richard

On Jun 10, 2020, at 9:50 PM, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:

I am using JAWS 2020 with Windows 7 and have several hot keys set up to quickly open applications like JAWS, but they have stopped working.  I noticed this when I had shut down JAWS and tried to restart it with Alt + CTRL + J and nothing happened.  I later discovered that none of my hot key short cuts were working.  What would cause them to stop working?

Adrian Spratt

Once you’ve created a desktop shortcut to a specific version of JAWS, try renaming it. for example, I’ve renamed JAWS 2020 as “JAWS 2020 shortcut.” This method was recommended by an FS tech support guy, and it has worked for me for several versions. Don’t ask me why.

To rename a file, place focus on the filename, then press F2 to bring up an edit field. Make the changes, then press enter.

Apparently, some systems, mine included, and I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit; Jaws 2020 blocks the desktop hotkeys.

I worked with Eric Damery last fall after Jaws 2020 came out.

They thought the November or maybe the December update had fixed it, but they stopped working.

They work with other screen readers.

Later,

Richard

On Jun 10, 2020, at 9:50 PM, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:

I am using JAWS 2020 with Windows 7 and have several hot keys set up to quickly open applications like JAWS, but they have stopped working.  I noticed this when I had shut down JAWS and tried to restart it with Alt + CTRL + J and nothing happened.  I later discovered that none of my hot key short cuts were working.  What would cause them to stop working?

Mike B

Pinning the shortcut icons to the task bar never fails for me, but the drawback is that you're limited to how many you can pin to the taskbar.  These shortcuts can be accessed from anywhere on the computer.

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:05 AM

[...]

Yes Mike, that is what I had to do.

It works great and since I don’t use more than 10 shortcuts really it is enough.

Anything else I can just run from the search box after tapping the windows key.  Or, of course, go to the desktop and use first letter navigation.

Its just bloody strange that Freedom Scientific nor Microsoft have an explanation for why on some systems the standard desktop shortcuts don’t work and yet on other, seemingly very similar setups they do.

Got to love those gremlins.

Richard

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:05 AM

[...]

That has never worked for me.

Been there, done that.

I’m glad it works for you.

The pinning to the task bar works flawlessly, so long as I remember which number is which program, grin.

Richard