Topics

moderated Database creation

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi,

Does anyone know of an accessible database software.

thx

Depending on what you mean, precisely, by "database software," Excel can be used to create accessible files that are used as databases and can be used in other Office suite programs for doing things such as creating mailing labels.

If you're talking about an accessible full relational database manager (RDBMS), I have no idea.  I have heard it said, repeatedly, that MS-Access is inaccessible, or at very best not accessible anywhere near to the degree needed to use it effectively.  And I have no recommendations regarding any RDBMS that is accessible.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

HH. Smith Jr.

I am looking for a full RDMs.

Depending on what you mean, precisely, by "database software," Excel can be used to create accessible files that are used as databases and can be used in other Office suite programs for doing things such as creating mailing labels.

If you're talking about an accessible full relational database manager (RDBMS), I have no idea.  I have heard it said, repeatedly, that MS-Access is inaccessible, or at very best not accessible anywhere near to the degree needed to use it effectively.  And I have no recommendations regarding any RDBMS that is accessible.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

I have been meaning to ask about this elsewhere, and just did on the NVDA Chat Subgroup (since this is not NVDA related).

If you want to follow whether anyone knows of a 100% accessible or very largely accessible RDBMS keep an eye on:  Accessible Relational Database Management Software (RDBMS) - Anyone know of one?

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

Would Libra Office meet your needs?
It's free and accessible.
Glenn

Does anyone know of an accessible database software.

thx

HH. Smith Jr.

I was informed that MariaDB is accessible, the latest version 10.5xx.

Thx,

I have been meaning to ask about this elsewhere, and just did on the NVDA Chat Subgroup (since this is not NVDA related).

If you want to follow whether anyone knows of a 100% accessible or very largely accessible RDBMS keep an eye on:  Accessible Relational Database Management Software (RDBMS) - Anyone know of one?

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Most RDBMS are accessible through the windows Command prompt.  What do you actually hope to achieve?  If your aim is more clearly stated, it would be easier for me to help.  Cheers!

On 27/10/2020 6:42 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Depending on what you mean, precisely, by "database software," Excel can be used to create accessible files that are used as databases and can be used in other Office suite programs for doing things such as creating mailing labels.

If you're talking about an accessible full relational database manager (RDBMS), I have no idea.  I have heard it said, repeatedly, that MS-Access is inaccessible, or at very best not accessible anywhere near to the degree needed to use it effectively.  And I have no recommendations regarding any RDBMS that is accessible.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

HH. Smith Jr.

I am in a college  course working with databases. In the span of time since this thread has started, I have been able to install MariaDB 10.5.6 and it is accessible from a command line. So, I guess, I am good to go. However, a little off topic, but still in the ballpark, do you know a good tutorial on database normalization.

Thx

Hi.  Most RDBMS are accessible through the windows Command prompt.  What do you actually hope to achieve?  If your aim is more clearly stated, it would be easier for me to help.  Cheers!

On 27/10/2020 6:42 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

Depending on what you mean, precisely, by "database software," Excel can be used to create accessible files that are used as databases and can be used in other Office suite programs for doing things such as creating mailing labels.

If you're talking about an accessible full relational database manager (RDBMS), I have no idea.  I have heard it said, repeatedly, that MS-Access is inaccessible, or at very best not accessible anywhere near to the degree needed to use it effectively.  And I have no recommendations regarding any RDBMS that is accessible.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Jaffar Sidek

Are you wanting to create your own local database or a database for web content?  You could try Sqlite for your own local database.  It is light weight and you can create your database with windows notepad.  go to www.sqlite.org for reference and details.  If you want to create a database for web content, then try Laragon, www.laragon.org.  It is what is known as a WAMP application, a combination of the Apache web server, the MYSQL RDBMS and php for use on windows.  Cheers.

On 27/10/2020 6:47 am, HH. Smith Jr. wrote:

I am looking for a full RDMs.

Depending on what you mean, precisely, by "database software," Excel can be used to create accessible files that are used as databases and can be used in other Office suite programs for doing things such as creating mailing labels.

If you're talking about an accessible full relational database manager (RDBMS), I have no idea.  I have heard it said, repeatedly, that MS-Access is inaccessible, or at very best not accessible anywhere near to the degree needed to use it effectively.  And I have no recommendations regarding any RDBMS that is accessible.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  try this:

www.guru99.com › database-normalization

Good luck for your course, and let me know if i can help.  Cheers!

On 27/10/2020 7:16 am, HH. Smith Jr. wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I’ll go take a look.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 07:17 PM, HH. Smith Jr. wrote:
I have been able to install MariaDB 10.5.6 and it is accessible from a command line.
-
HH, and that's a very important proviso.   I had not even thought about "accessible" in terms of "from the command line only."

I couldn't have helped there, either, but I do think it's important for anyone who doesn't need access via a GUI to mention it, as that opens up all sorts of options that might not otherwise be considered.

As a general statement, I know of few users these days who have any proficiency with command line interfaces (CLIs).  If you (any you) do, that really changes the scope of what could be considered for a number of things.  And if you do, knowing which CLI or CLIs your proficient with would be good to know, too.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

HH. Smith Jr.

Yeah, following my textbook, I am getting what I need done. It works even better, if you write the statements in notepad and paste them into the console window.