moderated Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Mich Verrier

Hi I have triedNVDA but I never got verry far with it. I used Jaws and that is what I have used all the way back to Jaws 3.7 I am now using Jaws 2022 and am having a lot of fun with it. From Mich.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: June 11, 2022 3:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Curiosity: What makes people choose Jaws over NVDA?

Hi. This is such an interesting topic. I rather enjoy discussions like
this. I prefer Jaws over NVDA because Jaws has the Braille math
editor, which I need to use for math class. NVDA is a great screen
reader if you don't need to do math. Also, I love Jaws picture smart,
voice assistant feature, and the convenient OCR. I do use NVDA
occasionally, and I like how there are so many unique NVDA add-ons.
However, my overall preference is Jaws.

On 6/11/22, James Malone <james.malone93502@...> wrote:
Hi all,
inspired from an earlier topic, I got to wondering:
What makes people keep coming back to Jaws over NVDA? I also want to
emphasise that this is not a topic trying to bash one or the other,
I'd really like to hear some opinions from the Jaws side. What do you
think it does better? Where do you think it's weakness's are? I've
been a long time NVDA user and occasionally dabbled in Jaws here and
there over the past year or so. Something I commonly see is that Jaws
still seems to have better braille support. I also don't know how many
organisations would be super happy with the idea of putting NVDA on a
work computer, so there's that. I used Jaws growing up, so I have a
fair amount of experience in both readers. Using Jaws recently also
told me that the overall look and feel hasn't really changed either,
so there was next to no learning curve when it came to reacquainting
myself. I know NV access have been working on this, but to my
understanding Jaws also seems to have better UIA support, something
that can only be a positive!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
James

Don H

Having been a long time Window Eyes user I found the move to NVDA much easier than a move to Jaws. I have NVDA and the latest version of Jaws on my computer and use NVDA 90 percent of the time.

On 6/11/2022 5:04 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
[...]

K0LNY

I've always thought NVDA was more like Window Eyes.
Now, if there was a Jaws add-on for NVDA, that set the keyboard functions to
be like Jaws, I think a lot more people would use it.
I remember when Microsoft Word had a WordPerfect keyboard layout, that made
it a lot easier for WP users.
Glenn

[...]

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I honestly had no idea if this kind
of topic would get any traction, or if it would completely just get
derailed into drama. Thankfully this is not the case at all. :)
Below are just some of my observations with using Jaws recently, so
feel free to chime in with your own tips, opinions etc.
I was really impressed with picture smart myself, considering that was
probably the first big thing I played with when using Jaws earlier
this year.
I think in some cases, the Jaws and NVDA commands are fairly similar,
so there wasn't a huge learning curve for me personally. The biggest
thing would probably have to be the Jaws/touch curser's, compared to
object nav. IF you can use the touch curser, then you're honestly 90
percent of the way to using object nav.
To the people making comments about addons being broken with each
major NVDA release, I do feel you. In a lot of cases you can simply
just update the manifest file for each addon to reflect the current
version and it *should* work, but I'd wager there's a lot of people
who may not know about this. Developers don't want to have to update
their addons with every major release either, especially if it becomes
more of a fix than simply updating their manifest file.
While I liked Jaws OCR, I did find it to be a bit buggy in certain
situations. I'd randomly have it get stuck in certain windows, then
when I'd go to OCR again I'd be informed that an OCR scan was already
in progress. Any time I'd try to OCR after that, I'd just be told that
the OCR component was not installed on my system. I could rectify this
by simply restarting Jaws, but it did get rather annoying. If I can
consistently reproduce this bug, I'll gladly report it. Unless anyone
has any tips on this one?
I've yet more testing to do on the touch curser, though from my
limited experience it wasn't quite as good as object nav. I'm not sure
if that's what it was trying to emulate though? Or if it was more of a
way to interact with newer style apps that can't interface with the
older mirror display drivers. I.E, the thing that makes the Jaws
curser function.
I do also wish that Jaws was better at handling dynamically updating
content too. Spotify, for example. I can scroll through my library
with relative speed using NVDA, but consistently struggled to have
Jaws catch up. I also noticed Jaws seemed to just bounce all over the
place on things like huge Reddit threads. NVDA is definitely guilty of
this one too, though it's not nearly as bad. I don't know if that's
just down to the way each reader renders it's web content though.
I feel like Jaws definitely wins out on legacy support, though I don't
know how much of a fair comparison that is to make, considering ones
had nearly 30 years of development behind it. :P
Apologies if this is a bit of a mess, this has all been a bit
scattered throughout my head and I'm just addressing things as they
come up.
Again it's been really cool to hear your responses, so yeah looking
forward to more discussion!
Cheers,
James

On 6/12/22, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:
[...]

molly the blind tech lover

One thing I've noticed with Jaws 2022 lately is that at least on my
machine, it seems to become completely unresponsive while using the
task manager and device manager, whereas NVDA works perfectly fine. I
don't know if this is just a Windows 11 issue or if it's something
unique to my machine or if it's an issue with Jaws. Either way I
prefer to use NVDA while using both the task manager and device
manager.

On 6/11/22, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:
[...]

Joseph Machise <josephmachise@...>

Don H and Glenn and Mollie no matter how hard freedomscientific tries to fix
something they can't get it right, jaws 2021 the copy command doesn't work,
and my outlook express has trouble with it on my windows7 machine from
Joseph.

[...]

Chris Hill

Hello.
Have not had any trouble with either one of those.  Sounds like a machine-specific problem that might be solvable with a reinstall of jaws or something.

CH

On 6/
1/2022 20:40, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, I never noticed a similarity between nvda and window-eyes. That one puzzles me.

I switched to Jaws back when Window-eyes got scripting, I was much more interested in better web performance so I jumped ship.  I have nvda on my wife's laptop, and it seems okay for basic stuff I might be doing on someone else's machine.  I've donated money on several occasions just to encourage an alternative, choice is what keeps for-profit companies motivated.  My largest problems with using nvda all the time are that I don't think it supports office nearly as well as Jaws, and I find the legacy support frustrating at best.  I just don't think windows and child windows and all that, I guess.

Narrator is definitely up and coming, lots of times I can get by with just that on someone else's machine.  I wish its web support worked better, though; nothing like trying to browse something complex with narrator to make one like Jaws or NVDA.

CH

On 6/11/2022 17:31, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
[...]

Tyler Wood

I can definitely attest that, while there are improvements to NVDA and Office, Jaws still works far nicer.
I'm curious what you mean when you say legacy support?

[...]

Howard Traxler

Well, the folks in power keet lecturing me:  get up-to-date; outlook express is out; get with it; use a modern email client.  So, even if I didn't like it, I moved to thunderbird.  It works for me--after I learnt it.  Time marches on, don't cha know.

Howard

On 6/11/2022 8:45 PM, Joseph Machise wrote:
[...]

Mike Pietruk

James

Some comments to your follow-up comment:

(1) Shutting down a screen reader when something locks up, fails,
whatever is something I've always had to do in the 4 decades of using a
screen reader going back to the old Apple II days.
Luckily, with JAWS, this is simple to do and restart.
And even better, JAWS allows you to have multiple versions of the program
on your system.

(2) As Molly noted: learning what an individual screen reader can and
cannot do is part of the learning curve.
Recognizing this, and using the tool that works best in a situation,
allows one to get the maximum utility.

I realize that this may not be possible in work situations; but certainly
applies for one's own personal use or you are the boss of your own
business.

(3) Sometimes, one gets the initial expression that this or that doesn't
work in JAWS, NVDa, Narrator, whatever.
After a while, you discover that perhaps you missed something, found new
work arounds, read a tip somewhere and then it suddenly clicks.

That's part of the value of lists such as this, 3rd party courses and
tutorials, and even resources of the company producing the program -- in
this case, Vispero.
And, I'm certain, they too learn that way also and it eventually that
shows up in the JAWS program itself.

Screen readers are a continual work in progress. I am amazed how well
they given the moving target and the sharpness of the developers, software
writers and 3rd party supporters
who are a part of our user world.
I could never imagine how these people keep on top of things as they
always have to deal with change -- and a lot of that change forces
them to a continual learning curve.

I am amazed how well screen readers function given the obstacles that live
under -- and I've not even mentioned the differences
of each and every pc folks use or how they have set up or messed up
things.

meow meow

sometime I have hard time with window 11 that when I want to check on battery by instert plus window key plus f10 sometime it will bring up and sometime it won't
that I have to keep trying few time

and someone told me to use control m to bring up decktop but mine would not work my laptop have hard time getting decktop that only I press humm not sure what key was it below power buttone I think it is { button

[...]

Madison Martin

Hi Rosie,
Try using the key combination insert shift b to get the battery level and also try windows key m or windows key d to get to your desktop

[...]

I don't know about 11, but in windows 10, and earlier windows, I press
windows B and arrow to battery in the system tray.
Glenn

[...]

Hi Glenn,
I'm using the latest version of Windows 11 and I just tried that keystroke; you can't arrow down to get to the battery info but if you right arrow right 5 times you'll hear "system power state button," followed by the battery status (don't activate the button).

[...]

Josh Kennedy

I can use decTalk but only with an NVDA addon that breaks once a year. We should all write to freedom scientific, and if they bring back no other vintage classic tts voices, ask them to please bring back decTalk 4.1 through 4.6. I even have the dlls if they need them and I will be happy to share if only the would work with jaws.

Josh Kennedy

I also have to say that decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 works great with NVDA ok well that is if you know how to modify manifest.ini files to keep it running with the latest NVDA that is. But please please let my decTalk dlls work with jaws! It was the most popular synthesizer back in the 80s and 90s. DecTalk was so popular that it even worked with KeySoft, pulsedata's personal informational manager software. decTalk could sing, make touch tone phone sounds, play tones, and play .wav files if you wished. I offer all my decTalk dlls the files and the dtalk-us.dic decTalk dictionary file to freedom scientific for implementation into jaws as a vintage software tts. I hope they take me up on my offer!

Josh Kennedy

I grew up with Keysoft version 1.33F for dos on a grid laptop and keynote gold SA synthesizer box from 1992, then got megaDots and used it with master touch screen reader. Then for the internet the school got me ASAP for dos that I used with a braille lite18 for its speech in 1995. My mom got me windows master screen reader by Blazie Engineering so I could play with windows 3.1 which I used with my braille lite but it froze when trying to use excel for windows3.1 and Blazie never fixed it. Then I got jaws 2.1 or 2.2 for windows95, switch to NVDA for a good while after college because jaws was not affordable. Then went back to jaws as soon as it became affordable for the average home user around 2018 or 2017 or so. And when I had jaws I used everything from decTalk access32, text assist, infovox230, keynote gold multinedia, and a braille lite18 for its speech synthesizers. But please freedom scientific bring back decTalk software 4.1 through 4.6. I offer you dlls if you need them to add them into jaws.

Jeff Christiansen

Try, Insert+Shift+B

[...]

I just use the Jaws voice assistant to ask for the battery level/time
and date. Guess I'm lazy lol.