Topics

moderated Cross posting here

Michael Munn

hi all, this is michael. I'm cross posting this time. Do any of you know how to configure your computer to turn your external keyboard off while the computer is off?
I'm asking question like this is because Ever Since I got a new computer in January I begin to experience this issue. My Braille display won't turn off on my new computer  when I put my  computer to sleep while the Braille display is on USB connection. My Braille display turn itself off on my old computer while it's on USB Connection  when I put my old machine to sleep. I want to know what settings in the new computer that I need to adjust?
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
Michael Munn

Richard Turner

Which braille display?

Richard

On Jul 24, 2020, at 8:53 PM, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@...> wrote:

hi all, this is michael. I'm cross posting this time. Do any of you know how to configure your computer to turn your external keyboard off while the computer is off?
I'm asking question like this is because Ever Since I got a new computer in January I begin to experience this issue. My Braille display won't turn off on my new computer  when I put my  computer to sleep while the Braille display is on USB connection. My Braille display turn itself off on my old computer while it's on USB Connection  when I put my old machine to sleep. I want to know what settings in the new computer that I need to adjust?
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
Michael Munn

Bill White

Hi, Michael.

Enable / Disable Power Saving on USB Ports

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. When the Device Manager window opens, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch, then right-click the USB Root Hub device and select Properties.

3. Click the Power Management tab. If you want USB ports to keep supplying power in sleep mode, just uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power“. Or check it to let Windows turn off USB ports to save power.

4. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all of the USB Root Hubs on the computer.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

hi all, this is michael. I'm cross posting this time. Do any of you know how to configure your computer to turn your external keyboard off while the computer is off?

I'm asking question like this is because Ever Since I got a new computer in January I begin to experience this issue. My Braille display won't turn off on my new computer  when I put my  computer to sleep while the Braille display is on USB connection. My Braille display turn itself off on my old computer while it's on USB Connection  when I put my old machine to sleep. I want to know what settings in the new computer that I need to adjust?

Hope to hear from you.

Best regards

Michael Munn

Michael Munn

Ok thanks so much.
Best regards
Michael Munn.
P.S I never anticipate that new computer can have configuration like this enabled that i never knew.
Thanks again Bill for your kind  help.
Best regards
Michael munn

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Virginia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

www.nfbv.org

www.hadley.edu

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 11:59 PM Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:
Which braille display?

Richard

On Jul 24, 2020, at 8:53 PM, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@...> wrote:

hi all, this is michael. I'm cross posting this time. Do any of you know how to configure your computer to turn your external keyboard off while the computer is off?
I'm asking question like this is because Ever Since I got a new computer in January I begin to experience this issue. My Braille display won't turn off on my new computer  when I put my  computer to sleep while the Braille display is on USB connection. My Braille display turn itself off on my old computer while it's on USB Connection  when I put my old machine to sleep. I want to know what settings in the new computer that I need to adjust?
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
Michael Munn

David Ingram

Did you check the settings on your old computer and then check the settings on the new computer to see whether they match or here's another question, is the operating system the same or different?

hi all, this is michael. I'm cross posting this time. Do any of you know how to configure your computer to turn your external keyboard off while the computer is off?
I'm asking question like this is because Ever Since I got a new computer in January I begin to experience this issue. My Braille display won't turn off on my new computer  when I put my  computer to sleep while the Braille display is on USB connection. My Braille display turn itself off on my old computer while it's on USB Connection  when I put my old machine to sleep. I want to know what settings in the new computer that I need to adjust?
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
Michael Munn

netbat66

i think this setting is in the computer bios.
on my gigabyte desktop its called on/off charge. this is a feature. grin this is so you can charge your smart phone etc. when the computer is off from the u s b ports.