From: James Malone [mailto:james.malone93502@gmail.com]
Subject: Creating a Jaws Keyboard Manager file for specific apps
Date: Monday, December 13, 2021, 8:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Hi guys,
I've been wanting to create custom keyboard manager files for specific
applications, but can't figure out how to do it? In years past, I seem
to recall being able to run keyboard manager from the insert plus f2
menu and then going new keymap and selecting a custom app from there.
I could be totally wrong, but I see no way to create a new keymap file
for a given application outside what is in the new keymap list.
How am I best to go about doing this? I'm sure I'm just missing
something seriously obvious somewhere, this is my first time using
Jaws in probably 12/13 years

.

James Malone

I've tried that, but all I see are a bunch of preset applications that
come with Jaws, I guess? I thought I was supposed to be able to see
all open applications in that list as well? Because I definitely don't
and this is where I'm confused.

On 12/14/21, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
open the keyboard manager and press control+n.

I've been wanting to create custom keyboard manager files for specific
applications, but can't figure out how to do it? In years past, I seem
to recall being able to run keyboard manager from the insert plus f2
menu and then going new keymap and selecting a custom app from there.
I could be totally wrong, but I see no way to create a new keymap file
for a given application outside what is in the new keymap list.
How am I best to go about doing this? I'm sure I'm just missing
something seriously obvious somewhere, this is my first time using
Jaws in probably 12/13 years

.

paul lemm

Hi James,

I'm not sure how to create one using Jaws, but you can always manually create one using notepad and then just pace the file in the correct folder on your PC. If creating it in notepad you just have to remember when saving the file that in the 'save as type' drop down you select 'all files' and then name the file with the name of the application you want to use it with and add the .jkm' extension to the end of the file name. if it helps I'll post a JKM file I have for an audio game called 'A heroes call', you could use this as a template or amend it using notepad to fit your needs, then just rename it with the exact name of the application you want it to work with and place in the correct folder and it should work fine. I'll post a link to the 'A heroes call' file below, and put below some instructions on where to place any JKM files you create. I can't take credit for the file, since it was provided by a user over on the audiogames.net forum in the A heroes call topic, so a shout out to that user for the file and instructions on where to place manually created JKM files.

Instructions:
Go to your user folder and follow this folder path:
AppData
Roaming
Freedom Scientific
JAWS
[Whatever version you have]
Settings
ENU (or whatever language settings you have)
And paste it there.

Dropbox link to 'A heroes Call.jkm' file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xcjepn5d9njhyh/A%20Hero%27s%20Call.jkm?dl=1

Paul

I've been wanting to create custom keyboard manager files for specific applications, but can't figure out how to do it? In years past, I seem to recall being able to run keyboard manager from the insert plus f2 menu and then going new keymap and selecting a custom app from there.
I could be totally wrong, but I see no way to create a new keymap file for a given application outside what is in the new keymap list.
How am I best to go about doing this? I'm sure I'm just missing something seriously obvious somewhere, this is my first time using Jaws in probably 12/13 years

James Malone

Okay! Who has stolen my name on this list? Just joking!

[...]

@Paul:
Wow thanks so much! This is exactly what I've been trying to do, I
can't believe I never even thought to just do it in notepad (this is
coming from someone who's modified scripts and such before). I guess I
just assumed those files weren't supposed to be readable that way at
all. Also now I think about it, I think someone offered the suggestion
to leave the keys unassigned the other day in my other thread and I
just completely forgot until you brought it up.
@James:
Oh god... another me? 😂

On 12/14/21, James Malone <malone_j@comcast.net> wrote:
Okay! Who has stolen my name on this list? Just joking!

I've been wanting to create custom keyboard manager files for specific
applications, but can't figure out how to do it? In years past, I seem
to recall being able to run keyboard manager from the insert plus f2
menu and then going new keymap and selecting a custom app from there.
I could be totally wrong, but I see no way to create a new keymap file
for a given application outside what is in the new keymap list.
How am I best to go about doing this? I'm sure I'm just missing
something seriously obvious somewhere, this is my first time using
Jaws in probably 12/13 years

.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

From the Freedom Scientific website:-

https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Other/ScriptManual/02-1_StartingTheKeyboardManager.htm

2.1 Starting the Keyboard Manager
Press INSERT+F2 to open the Run JAWS Manager dialog, then press K, followed by ENTER.

When you start the Keyboard Manager from within an application, the Keyboard Manager automatically opens the key map file for that application.

When you start the Keyboard Manager from the Utilities menu within the JAWS interface, the Keyboard Manager opens the default key map file.

So you need to start the keyboard manager using Insert F2 then K, making sure the application you want the keymap file for is in focus, rather than from the utilities menu, then it will open a new file with the application name.

If you open it from the Utilities menu, then the default keymap file will be opened.

If, having opened the manager with Insert F2, K, you want to go back to the default keymap file, press Control+Shift+D as in the Settings Center.

All the best

Steve

After you start the Keyboard Manager, JAWS selects the appropriate key map file name in the left hand pane of the manager.

When you open the Keyboard Manager from an application, you can open the default key map file by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+D.

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
[...]

Pleased the information helped

Paul

I've been wanting to create custom keyboard manager files for
specific applications, but can't figure out how to do it? In years
past, I seem to recall being able to run keyboard manager from the
insert plus f2 menu and then going new keymap and selecting a custom app from there.
I could be totally wrong, but I see no way to create a new keymap
file for a given application outside what is in the new keymap list.
How am I best to go about doing this? I'm sure I'm just missing
something seriously obvious somewhere, this is my first time using
Jaws in probably 12/13 years

.

James Malone

Just to show you, it's a small world we live in.

I've been wanting to create custom keyboard manager files for
specific applications, but can't figure out how to do it? In years
past, I seem to recall being able to run keyboard manager from the
insert plus f2 menu and then going new keymap and selecting a custom app from there.
I could be totally wrong, but I see no way to create a new keymap
file for a given application outside what is in the new keymap list.
How am I best to go about doing this? I'm sure I'm just missing
something seriously obvious somewhere, this is my first time using
Jaws in probably 12/13 years

.

Steve Nutt

Hi again,

An even quicker way to get into the keyboard manager is to press Insert 8 when the application you want is in focus.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close