Topics

moderated Creating a group in outlook

Justin Mcdevitt

Hello Group,

Up until recently, I had no real reason to create groups from my Contacts using Outlook. However, at this point, I’m involved with a number of activities within my community where this feature is something that would be convenient as a contact option.

I had spoken with Bill White about this and rather to use the ribbon commands, he suggested using Control/Shift/L where I create a group name. After identifying a group name, I tabbed one time  to the Members Table field, arrowing down to identify contacts to fill the group. At this point, I received a message that “Members list table is unavailable.”

Am I on the right track, or it there another way to build  a group?

Best, Justin  

Andrew J. LaPointe

Hi Justin, please, can you keep me in this loop as I had the same problem.  I used control shift with the letter b but I still can’t select any members.  I know that I did have a chance to select a member but instead it used the email of that person as the group name.  So please, let me know what you get for suggestions.  Thanks so much.

I have 2 groups that I frequently send messages and they are always the same message so as you know, it makes it so much easier.  Andy and  Shubert rip

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Mcdevitt
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 9:16 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Creating a group in outlook

Hello Group,

Up until recently, I had no real reason to create groups from my Contacts using Outlook. However, at this point, I’m involved with a number of activities within my community where this feature is something that would be convenient as a contact option.

I had spoken with Bill White about this and rather to use the ribbon commands, he suggested using Control/Shift/L where I create a group name. After identifying a group name, I tabbed one time  to the Members Table field, arrowing down to identify contacts to fill the group. At this point, I received a message that “Members list table is unavailable.”

Best, Justin  

Richard Turner

I think you need to tab to the ad members button I'll look up the keystrokes when I'm back on my computer.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Oct 22, 2020, at 6:16 AM, Justin Mcdevitt <jhmcdev@...> wrote:

Hello Group,

Best, Justin  

Richard Turner

After you give the group a name, try alt+h, then m.

You will be in a search box.

Or, tab to where you can just type in their email address.

It is clunky at best.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Live long and prosper 🖖

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew J. LaPointe
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 7:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Creating a group in outlook

Hi Justin, please, can you keep me in this loop as I had the same problem.  I used control shift with the letter b but I still can’t select any members.  I know that I did have a chance to select a member but instead it used the email of that person as the group name.  So please, let me know what you get for suggestions.  Thanks so much.

I have 2 groups that I frequently send messages and they are always the same message so as you know, it makes it so much easier.  Andy and  Shubert rip

Hello Group,

Best, Justin  

See if this message, part of a conversation on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group, helps:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/message/441 

There has not been a ton of change in creation and editing of email groups in recent versions of Outlook.

Office Accessibility Discussion Group Addresses:
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Van Lant, Robin

I create groups just fine. Thankfully, JAWS now reads the group members list for me as I arrow up and down.  As others have said, you do need to go to the ribbon to hit the add members button. A submenu opens where  you choose where you want to search for members. You’ll be looking in Outlook contacts, if  this is a personal email account.  If you are at a company, you’d likely be adding from the Address Book. The only real downside to creating groups in outlook is that a person in your group has to  be a contact. In other words, you cannot just type a bunch of email addresses into the group.  

Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 7:16 AM

Hello Group,

Best, Justin  

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
The only real downside to creating groups in outlook is that a person in your group has to  be a contact. In other words, you cannot just type a bunch of email addresses into the group.
-
Robin,

Actually, the addresses can be added without being in either Contacts or Address book.  In the instructions for creating a Contact Group that I referenced earlier, I omitted that option since it's not often used.  At Step number three, you actually have three different options, and I only discussed two.  All three start with the keyboard sequence ALT+H,M followed by:

A - If you wish to add an existing Address Book entry to the group
C - If you wish to add an existing Contact to the group
E - If you wish to add a random email address that's in neither of the above to the group (New email contact in the submenu).

If you do an ALT+H,M,E you are presented with a dialog box containing the following, in order:

Display Name edit box
email address edit box
email type box, defaults to SMTP, almost never changed
Custom type button, affiliated with the email type edit box, almost never activated
Internet Format dropdown box, which defaults to, Let Outlook decide the best sending format, but which also has the options, Send plain text only, and, Send using Outlook rich text format
Checkbox, Add to contacts, which is checked by default
The typical OK and Cancel button pair at the bottom

Admittedly, you can't enter a long string of comma or semicolon separated "unknown" email addresses this way, but you can add each one by one and decide whether or not you want what you enter added to contacts or not as part of that process.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

And for those that may want the updated and comprehensive step-by-step instructions for 
Creating a Contact Group in Outlook 2016 and Later
just activate that link and it will take you to the instruction set I posted on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Andrew J. LaPointe

Hi Richard, if you can get  the key strokes to select the contact that would be great.  This is just driving many of us crazy.  Thanks so much andy and Shubert rip

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 10:04 AM

I think you need to tab to the ad members button I'll look up the keystrokes when I'm back on my computer.

Richard

Hello Group,

Best, Justin  

Ron Pelletier

Justin,

After you enter the group name you should be presented with your list of contacts so you can highlight the ones you want in the group. The e-mail addresses must be in your contact list before you can create a group.

Ron & Danvers

Hello Group,

Best, Justin  

Richard Turner

Actually, you have a choice of adding a new email address to the group and then also add it to your contacts.

Richard

Live long and prosper 🖖

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Pelletier
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 9:44 AM

Justin,

After you enter the group name you should be presented with your list of contacts so you can highlight the ones you want in the group. The e-mail addresses must be in your contact list before you can create a group.

Ron & Danvers

Hello Group,

Best, Justin  

Richard Turner

I already posted them, but I’d also check out Brian Vogel’s link.

What I do after creating the group name, is press alt+h, then m.

That activates the add members.

Unlike others, I have little success arrowing up and down through the list of contacts, but you can search for contacts and add them.

I’m sure results will vary as not everyone has the same outlook configuration.

Richard

Live long and prosper 🖖

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew J. LaPointe
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 9:41 AM

Hi Richard, if you can get  the key strokes to select the contact that would be great.  This is just driving many of us crazy.  Thanks so much andy and Shubert rip

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 10:04 AM

Richard

Hello Group,

Best, Justin  

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM, Ron Pelletier wrote:
The e-mail addresses must be in your contact list before you can create a group.
-
This is incorrect and needs to stop being repeated.  You can put entries from Address Book, Contacts, or New Email Addresses into any contact group.

I honestly think I must be talking to the air most of the time when I post step-by-step instructions that cover exactly what to do and they're ignored, and the same things that have been discussed or corrected are brought up again, hours to days later, because reading through an entire topic before adding to it is not being done.

Members, please read through a topic to determine what's been said by everyone before you add your own next message to it.  It prevents repetition, for one thing.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

Yes Brian,

I agree with you.

I’ve tried using your keystrokes and I just get the default beep after alt+h.

I’m using Office 365 Outlook 2016 and after creating the name of the group, after alt+h no matter what letter I press, I get the sound that says “sorry, you cannot do that,” i.e. the default beep.

I must have something set up oddly, which will not surprise me.

I have to just tap the alt key and arrow or tab to get to the add members button, which gives the shortcut you list, but I cannot do it just using the keys…

Very odd.

I’m fine with the way I do it as it works, it ends up just being different.

Richard

Live long and prosper 🖖

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 10:10 AM

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM, Ron Pelletier wrote:

The e-mail addresses must be in your contact list before you can create a group.

-
This is incorrect and needs to stop being repeated.  You can put entries from Address Book, Contacts, or New Email Addresses into any contact group.

I honestly think I must be talking to the air most of the time when I post step-by-step instructions that cover exactly what to do and they're ignored, and the same things that have been discussed or corrected are brought up again, hours to days later, because reading through an entire topic before adding to it is not being done.

Members, please read through a topic to determine what's been said by everyone before you add your own next message to it.  It prevents repetition, for one thing.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 01:26 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
-
Richard,

And bless you for knowing and identifying this situation as something idiosyncratic to your setup, because it has to be.  You could try running a repair install on Office 365 and see if that fixes the issue.  It often will.

Far too many insist when "something odd" is happening that it must be a bug or otherwise due to external causes.  In the computing world when you get "odd man out" behaviors like this they are almost always due to something idiosyncratic to the computer on which they're occurring.  Real bugs hit a huge number of users in the same way.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

Sadly, I know that far too well, grin.

Richard

Live long and prosper 🖖

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 10:41 AM

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 01:26 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

-
Richard,

And bless you for knowing and identifying this situation as something idiosyncratic to your setup, because it has to be.  You could try running a repair install on Office 365 and see if that fixes the issue.  It often will.

Far too many insist when "something odd" is happening that it must be a bug or otherwise due to external causes.  In the computing world when you get "odd man out" behaviors like this they are almost always due to something idiosyncratic to the computer on which they're occurring.  Real bugs hit a huge number of users in the same way.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Andrew J. LaPointe

Hi All, just in case you haven't done this yet, what I did for a
group list is open word and on each line, insert an email address hit enter
then add another email from the group you want to send messages to until you
have inserted all the email addresses for your group, organization or
company ect. Save it in word and name it for that group. I same mine on
the desk top. When I need to send to the group, I open the word file then
select each line and copy it to the clipboard. When I create a new message,
I paste all the list to (to) field. Then tab to the subject and finally,
create the body of the message. I don't know if that would be easier for
you but, creating a group and adding email addresses is not working for me.
Hope this helps some of you. Andy and Shubert R.I.P

Andrew J. LaPointe, President
Friends of the Salem Council on Aging
34 Raymond Ave.
Salem, MA. 01970
Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Editor, Commission Commuter Update and the Safe Disabled Traveler Notebook
Talking Information Center