Topics

moderated Creating a desktop shortcut in Google Chrome

Bill White

Recently, Jessica asked a question about creating a desktop shortcut for a website in Microsoft Edge. There is also a similar tool in Google Chrome. To use it,

1. Open Google Chrome.

2. Open the website for which you want to create a shortcut.

3. Tap the ALT key and arrow up to More Tools, and press ENTER.

4. Arrow up to Create Shortcut.

5. This will place a shortcut on the desktop.

6. It will also place an entry for the site in your Start Menu under Recently-added apps, and possibly in All Apps.

Be aware that, even if you delete the shortcut which was placed on the desktop for the website, this will not delete the entries in the Start menu. If you want to delete these,

1. Press Windows key plus R, and in the "run" dialog, type

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

2. You can either delete the subfolder here called Chrome Apps, or you can open this folder and delete any stored websites individually.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Terrie Terlau

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for sharing this info. I now have shortcuts to my most-used websites on my desktop thanks to you. This will speed up what I do a great deal.

Best,

Terrie Terlau

[...]

Keep in mind that at least with Edge installing a site as an app isn't exactly the same as creating a shortcut to it.

If you install a site as an app and then open it, you don't have access to the address bar in Edge or the menus, you have your site and you can navigate it completely, but if you were to open Edge as well to whatever your home page is, you would see two completely separate entries in your taskbar, each site you install as an app shows up separately.