From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: create a system image.

One option, and there are others:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

            ~Brian Vogel

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
I did need a bit of sighted help to restore
-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

Randy Barnett

Will it run within Win PE?

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
I did need a bit of sighted help to restore
-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

Glenn / Lenny

If you can run Win PE, just use 7Zip for the image.
The system I am using now was zipped and unzipped onto a new drive with 7Zip and Win PE.
Note, you don't need to zip up pagefile.sys and hyberfil.sys in the root of C:, as windows makes those fresh when they are not there, they are just temp files, and each one equals the amount of RAM your computer uses.
Glenn

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
I did need a bit of sighted help to restore
-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

Randy Barnett

Then this sounds like the best solution for blind people. unless you want automatic incremental backups that is.

On 4/13/2021 7:59 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

[...]

Justin Williams

What is win PE?

I have bee able to back up systems before, but for some reason, I can't find the back up.

Justin

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

I did need a bit of sighted help to restore

-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

Justin Williams

I did hit enter on windows 7 back up, but couldn't get to the create image to do so.

Justin

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

I did need a bit of sighted help to restore

-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 05:16 PM, Justin Williams wrote:
What is win PE?
-
Windows Pre-installation Environment.  It's best described as a tiny subset of actual Windows that can run independently.  It serves as the core of the recovery features of many backup and recovery suites.

Do not use Backup & Restore (Windows 7) as it was deprecated quite a while back (2017) and could be pulled without notice.  Microsoft recommends a third-party utility of your choosing.  Microsoft Announcement of Deprecated Features, including SIB [Backup and Restore (Windows 7), V1709]

            ~Brian Vogel

Randy Barnett

Win PE in the context I am using is as Brian said a Pre-install environment with the addition of NVDA and some extra apps like paswword resetting your windows password and backing up your PC,put together by a blind person. I cant remember his name but this was invaluable before win10 introduced narrator in the setup side of windows. It appears it is still a good tool for backup'ing your PC since all backup solutions I know of are not accessible during a restore.

Here is a link to my copy of the win10 version.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArI9mdteFUZIgcZomOWSEWupSBeZEQ?e=7wWp5W

On 4/14/2021 2:16 PM, Justin Williams wrote:

[...]

Jason White

I’ve used CloneZilla successfully. The restoration process should be accessible, is it’s all done from a Linux console (e.g., obtained via a bootable USB drive). As I recall, CloneZilla itself offers a menu-based interface.

I’m with Brian. Macrium Reflect is a great program for making images of your entire system. I did need a bit of sighted help to restore one of those images but when the hard disk on my Windows 7 box died the other day, I was able to purchase a replacement from Amazon for about $50, restore the backed up image from my external USB drive and be back in business after a few hours. Here is the download link to Macrium Reflect for anyone who is interested:

https://www.filehorse.com/download-macrium-reflect-64/download/

Alan Lemly

One option, and there are others:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

            ~Brian Vogel

Mike B

Hi Randy,

His name was, Carlos Nazario, and he left us way too soon.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

I did need a bit of sighted help to restore

-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

Randy Barnett

I am sorry to hear that.

On 4/14/2021 4:17 PM, Mike B wrote:

[...]

I'm just trying to get the image ot the tosheba usb hard drie I have.

I've done it before, but I'll attempt it again tonight.

I used to be able to just find the link, create system image.

Justin

[...]

Dave Durber

Randy:

I use Image for Windows, produced by Terabyte. You get a 30 day trial, then you need to purchase a license, to go on using the program. I do not think the purchase price is that expensive, probably about 50 dollars, US.

As far as I know, there are 2 versions of a Talking Windoes Preinstall Environment (TWPE). One produced by Brian Smart for Windows 7 and another by someone by the name of Carlos, sorry I do not know his last name, for Windows 10. Once you  boot into either TWPE, hopefully You should be able to run Macrium Reflect Free, to restore a previously created image to your system drive, using NVDA to speak the prompts and menues.

I use Brian Smart's Windows 7 TWPE and the Image for Windows  restore utility, to restore images. I use this TWPE because, I find that it boots faster, an it definitely shuts down the computer correctly, when you have finished restoring an image or, when you have finished using the TWPE for any other reason.

When I have used Carlos's TWPE, I have found that when you shut down the computer, it occasionally hangs, and you need to press and hold the power button, until the system switches off.

HTH

Dave

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
I did need a bit of sighted help to restore
-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

Dave Durber

Justin:

It is short for "Windows Preinstall Environment".

What program are you using to backup your system drive?

Dave

[...]

James Bentley

Hi Dave,

Assuming that you are using a newer version of Image For Windows, does IFW still incorporate the Narrator Screen reader on its recovery disk?

My version of Image for Windows is around 6years old.  My version of IFW itself will make you a recovery disk that includes the Microsoft screen reader, Narrator.   So a blind person can use speech during a recovery.

However, one would still have to memorize the steps to get their particular PC to boot off of that bootable USB   recovery disk.  It is also possible to get a sighted person to make a one time change in the boot sequence in the BIOS so the computer will always boot from any USB device that may be inserted during PC start up.

I have needed to make several emergency recovery’s over the years because Windows was too corrupted to even boot.  One  time I restored my complete system on to a brand new drive with no problems.  IFW never let me down.

I paid around $40.00, around 6 years ago for my copy.  The do have a 30 day trial version.

I just wonder if Narrator still comes with IFW.

James B

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

I did need a bit of sighted help to restore

-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

Dave Durber

James:

In order to use the I F W recovery utility, you need to run it within one of the 2 TWPE, I mentioned in my previous email. Although, there is a way to include NVDA in the I F W PE building utility itself but, I have no idea how to do that.

Dave

On 4/13/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

I did need a bit of sighted help to restore

-
Which is true of the vast majority of backup/restore software because the restore process takes place without Windows itself actually being running, meaning there is no screen reader support.

Most of my sighted clients have no idea how to do a restore even if they wanted to, but several have been very, very thankful indeed that they had a backup that they'd taken on a regular cycle when they had storage failure (whether HDD or SSD) but had to have me do the actual restore.  It sure as heck beats losing all the data one acquires over years on most computer systems!

            ~Brian Vogel

James Bentley

Dave,

It’s been so many years since I used IFW to create a bootable recovery thumb drive , I do not remember all of the steps.

But, if an IFW user goes to the start menu and looks through the IFW menu , they will want to click on create an IFW recovery boot disk.  Note, you will get the option to create a bootable disk or a bootable thumb drive.  I do not remember exactly how it is worded.

I hope that Narrator is still incorporated in to their bootable recover disk.

One advantage to Image for Windows is their 30-day free trial version.

Note, there will be options to download Image for DOS, (IFD),

Image for Lennox, (IFL), and Image for Windows, (IFW), For modern PC’s I strongly recommend using IFW.

I believe that having an image back up stored away from your PC, for example, on an external drive that is not connected to your PC to be critical if you value your data.

If coming up with around forty dollars for IFW is a problem, one could always down load the free version of Macrium Reflect.  A visually impaired person can make the image backups.  And, they would just have to learn how to use one of the talking WinPE options to do a restoration  of their PC.

If worst comes to worst, one can just use the free version of Macrium Reflect to create your images and find sighted assistance if you need to restore your system.

Finding eye sight at 3 in the morning isn’t convenient but loosing all of your valuable data is far worse.

James B