Topics

moderated Course or guide for audio editing recordings JAWS2020

Shai

Hello,
I am looking for a course or guide of some kind for being able to edit
audio recordings with JAWS2020. I don't have a particular program for
doing this in mind yet, but I have heard that audacity is the most
accessible. I did try to follow the guide but I found that I could not
edit with it and it was overwhelming for me.
I did some research online and I see that Brian Hartgen has a course
for Reaper but it seems that the packages for Osara and Reaaccess are
not being distributed any longer.
Does anyone know of a course or guide of some kind that can be followed?
Thank you in advance.

Richard Turner

He also has a course on Goldwave which in my opinion is the most accessible audio editor, unless you need to do multitrack files, as in blending separate channels, etc.
But for straight editing, it is all keyboard based and Doug lee's scripts are enough to get you going, but I believe Brian has more advanced scripts that come along with the course.
GoldWave is $50 to purchase, but the trial version is fully functional so you can be sure it works for you before buying a license.
He is also working on an iOS app which will be able to use the same license.
A friend took his course on Goldwave and speaks highly of it.

Richard

On Aug 10, 2020, at 12:13 PM, Shai <shaiwol@...> wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for a course or guide of some kind for being able to edit
audio recordings with JAWS2020. I don't have a particular program for
doing this in mind yet, but I have heard that audacity is the most
accessible. I did try to follow the guide but I found that I could not
edit with it and it was overwhelming for me.
I did some research online and I see that Brian Hartgen has a course
for Reaper but it seems that the packages for Osara and Reaaccess are
not being distributed any longer.
Does anyone know of a course or guide of some kind that can be followed?
Thank you in advance.

Jasmine Kotsay

Where can this course be found? I’m also interested in the gold wave program as well.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Richard,
Thank you for your reply. I see that Doug Lee has scripts for Gold
wave. Should these be downloaded or are there scripts from Brian that
come with his course?

On 8/10/20, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:
He also has a course on Goldwave which in my opinion is the most accessible
audio editor, unless you need to do multitrack files, as in blending
separate channels, etc.
But for straight editing, it is all keyboard based and Doug lee's scripts
are enough to get you going, but I believe Brian has more advanced scripts
that come along with the course.
GoldWave is $50 to purchase, but the trial version is fully functional so
you can be sure it works for you before buying a license.
He is also working on an iOS app which will be able to use the same
license.
A friend took his course on Goldwave and speaks highly of it.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass
himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient
hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not
granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward
Herbert

On Aug 10, 2020, at 12:13 PM, Shai <shaiwol@...> wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for a course or guide of some kind for being able to edit
audio recordings with JAWS2020. I don't have a particular program for
doing this in mind yet, but I have heard that audacity is the most
accessible. I did try to follow the guide but I found that I could not
edit with it and it was overwhelming for me.
I did some research online and I see that Brian Hartgen has a course
for Reaper but it seems that the packages for Osara and Reaaccess are
not being distributed any longer.
Does anyone know of a course or guide of some kind that can be followed?
Thank you in advance.

Richard Turner

Try:

https://www.hartgen.org/goldwave

Richard

[...]

The course can be found at hartgen.org in the training courses
section. It is called 24 carrot gold wave.

wrote:

[...]

Thank you! It seems like it might be pretty cool. Are those courses free or paid? Just curious.

wrote:

[...]

I've not taken Brian's course, but my friend said his scripts come with the course.
Doug Lee's scripts at least give you a few shortcuts for checking where you are in a file, the length of the file, etc.
While the GoldWave manual is very involved, it is well worth reading the sections on what you are interested in accomplishing.
A couple helpful keystrokes are pressing left bracket drops a start marker, pressing right bracket drops a finish marker.
Control C cuts that piece out, or control t trims off the stuff before and after the markers.
Control p pastes the clipboard into a new file.

HTH,

[...]

Paid.
The web site will give the details.

Richard

wrote:

[...]

David Goldfield

Hello.

Brian Hartgen's Gold Wave course is excellent and, as Richard said, he has written his own Gold Wave scripts.

On 8/10/2020 4:57 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
I've not taken Brian's course, but my friend said his scripts come with the course.
Doug Lee's scripts at least give you a few shortcuts for checking where you are in a file, the length of the file, etc.
While the GoldWave manual is very involved, it is well worth reading the sections on what you are interested in accomplishing.
A couple helpful keystrokes are pressing left bracket drops a start marker, pressing rHello.

--
David Goldfield,
Assistive Technology Specialist

JAWS Certified, 2019

www.davidgoldfield.org

David Goldfield

Jasmine, I have purchased many of Brian Hartgen's courses and I have found them to be excellent. He is, in my opinion, one of the finest trainers in this field.

wrote:

[...]

Larry Gassman

Hi Jasmine,
All of his courses are paid but certainly worth the money.
Larry

wrote:

[...]

JM Casey

I'm not sure about the Goldwave one; I suspect it is ok because that programme and accessibility methods have not changed much, but the Reaper one is seriously out of date. The accessibility structure/plugin for Reaper is not even the same, now (Osara instead of ReAccess).

If you want to learn to use goldwave -- the manual is a great place to start. There are also some free resources you can use, plus a forum. Reaper has a mailing list on which many experts post.

You can contact me off list if you want -- Reaper's presented me with some serious challenges but I'm pretty conversant with Goldwave.

wrote:

[...]

Hey.

Osara is being updated and distributed. ReAccess is loooong gone. And the latter ist he foundation for the Reaper course. That said, there is a pretty comprehensive wiki, and the mailing list can help if you have questions -- it's called 'Reapers without peepers" and is here on groups.io.

Audacity is maybe a little trickier than goldwave, but it's also a multitrack editor, which could be useful, depending on your needs.