Topics

moderated Copy From Web page

clarence carter

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Abraham Sweiss

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.
When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

clarence carter

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Mike B

Hi Clarence and Abraham,

Here's a setting that you might want to switch to in Jaws quick settings if you haven't already.

Note, just to clarify:  If you choose the, From Virtual Cursor option, this will copy the text without formatting.
If you choose the, Full Content Using Onscreen Highlight  option, this copies the text with formatting.

You can change this option in Jaws Quick Settings, Insert + V, while in your browser.

To make the change, do the following:
1. Open your web browser of choice.
2. Press, Insert + V, to open Jaws Quick Settings.
3. Press the down arrow key to find the option for select and copy. This is found under the virtual cursor options.

4. When you find the select and copy option, you can press the tab key to move to the help window. Use the say all command to read the help
information for the select and copy option.
5. Use, Shift + Tab, to move back to the tree view. Press the space bar to toggle the Select and Copy options.  Your options are, From virtual cursor,
and, Full content using on screen highlight.
Stop on the, From virtual cursor, option.

6. Tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Tom Behler

Mike:

These instructions are quite useful, and I’ll save them for future reference.

However, I do have one question:

Here is what you said in step 5:

5. “Use, Shift + Tab, to move back to the tree view. Press the space bar to toggle the Select and Copy options.  Your options are, From virtual cursor,
and, Full content using on screen highlight.
Stop on the, From virtual cursor, option.”

Let’s say I choose “full content using on screen highlight”.

I’m not sure what you mean by your next statement that says:  “stop on the virtual cursor option”.

Can you clarify?

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Adrian Spratt

Mike is saying that repeated pressing of the spacebar enables you to alternate between the two choices. When you hear the one you want, stop pressing the spacebar and go to the next step.

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Sharon

It’s interesting.

I went into google and changed to virtual view.

Now all of a sudden, all my issues with copying, cutting, and deleting text in a web browser and in Word went away.

This setting seems to work on all programs; is this correct?

I’m using Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 latest update.

Using Jaws 2018, copy, cut, and delete seemed to work, without my changing any setting.

But in 2020 the other setting does not work at all, but virtual viewer does.

This seems to have solved many issues with cutting, copying and deleting text.

Sharon

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Adrian Spratt

Clarence,

Yes, I have had the same experience on certain websites, such as the online Guardian newspaper. The virtual copy option in JAWS quick settings doesn’t solve it. It requires a workaround, as follows.

My default browser is Chrome. When I’m unable to copy something from a website, I either switch to IE11 or close JAWS 2020 and open JAWS 2018, which can copy text in these situations. One reason to keep old versions of JAWS on the system.

I haven’t started using Edge, so I can’t speak for that browser.

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Sharon

I was experiencing the same behavior in Chrome, Edge, and Word.

Sharon

Yes, I have had the same experience on certain websites, such as the online Guardian newspaper. The virtual copy option in JAWS quick settings doesn’t solve it. It requires a workaround, as follows.

My default browser is Chrome. When I’m unable to copy something from a website, I either switch to IE11 or close JAWS 2020 and open JAWS 2018, which can copy text in these situations. One reason to keep old versions of JAWS on the system.

I haven’t started using Edge, so I can’t speak for that browser.

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Tom Behler

Thanks, Adrian.

That’s what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Mike B

Hi Adrian & Tom,

Adrian, thank you for simplifying my earlier steps and making them a little more clear.  Tom, sorry for not explaining my steps a little better.

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 7:19 PM

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Mike B

Hi Sharon,

When making this settings change in a browser and using the Jaws quick settings feature, this should only effect the way text is copied while on the internet using this particular browser.  Each browser needs to be set-up individually using the same steps.

Making this settings change in a browser shouldn't change the way text is copied from a program like Word, but should only effect the way text is pasted into a program like Word since only the text is copied and then pasted.

Whenever you use the Jaws quick settings feature, Insert + V, while in any application this settings change is application specific to only this application and should not effect any others.

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Tom Behler

Mike and all:

I was able to follow your instructions for specifying how to copy content from web pages in Firefox, but could not find the virtual cursor options in the Jaws quick settings to make the change in Google Chrome.

Here are the steps I used, as copied from yesterday’s e-mails:

1. Open your web browser of choice.

2. Press, Insert + V, to open Jaws Quick Settings.

3. Press the down arrow key to find the option for select and copy. This is found under the virtual cursor options.

4. When you find the select and copy option, you can press the tab key to move to the help window. Use the say all command to read the help
information for the select and copy option.

5. Use, Shift + Tab, to move back to the tree view. Press the space bar to toggle the Select and Copy options.  Your options are, From virtual cursor,
and, Full content using on screen highlight.  Repeated pressing of the spacebar enables you to alternate between the two choices. When you hear the one you want, stop pressing the spacebar and go to the next step.

6. Tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.

Can anyone tell me why the virtual cursor options don’t seem to be available in Google Chrome?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2020 on a Dell Windows 10 laptop here.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Bill White

Hi, Tom. Sounds like you may have forgotten to press ENTER once you press INSERT plus V, and arrow down to Virtual Cursor Options. The same thing happened to me when I just Arrowed down, instead of pressing ENTER to open Virtual Cursor Options.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Mike B

Hi Tom,

Make sure your virtual cursor is turned on, Insert + Z, is the toggle keystroke.

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Tom Behler

Bill:

Pressing enter after hitting insert V didn’t do anything for me.  However, in line with Mike’s later suggestion, I made sure the virtual cursor was turned on via insert Z, and that gave me the “Full content using on screen highlight” option.

So, I think I’m now all set.

Will save these instructions for future reference.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Randy Barnett

I just tried this and couldn't find it either...

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Dan Longmore

No, not in Microsoft Edge either.

Dan

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Mike B

Make sure the virtual cursor is turned on, Insert + Z, is the toggle keystroke.

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 3:13 PM

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM

I think I will give them a call. If they have a fix, maybe they might share it.

Thanks Again.

I run into the same problem with both chrome and Firefox.

When I contact freedom scientific support and they  tandem into my computer, it starts working all of a sudden.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:35 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have found some occassions where JAWS will not allow me to copy portions of a web page.

What happens is I select what I want to copy, or I think that I do, then I attempt to copy it.

Even though I selected what I want to copy, it will not copy it. This does not happen all of the time but it is enough to be annoying.

Bill White

Hi, Randy. Is your Virtual Cursor turned on with JAWS key plus Z?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 5:50 PM