Topics

moderated Control Alt J Not Working to Open JAWS

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  The shortcut keys for JAWS are slow to make the program respond however they usually work.  With older JAWS versions the shortcut keys had to be reset after an update.

Dan

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Richard Turner

From a fellow sufferer of this bug, I’m guessing she is running Jaws 2020 on Windows 10, or 2019 on Windows 10.  I reported this bug last year to FS and discovered that only a few people had this issue.

Eric Damery did a tandem session with me and he could observe it on my machine, this  was still with Jaws 2019.

They thought they had solved it in 2020, which did work fine for about 4 days.

Then, I lost the ability to use the shortcuts I had created.

So, I switched to using the pin to task bar, I think it is called, where Windows Key plus 1 launches the first program in the order pinned, etc.

I am the only user of this machine, I have admin rights up the ying yang, yet, they do not seem to know what causes this.

This is a Del Inspiron  57 something or other, laptop.

Richard

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Larry Gassman

David,

Does she have other versions of JAWS on her PC that might be sharing that shortcut.

It has happened to me.

I had to check each version to see what the shortcut key was.

Sometimes you have to change it in older versions that might be on the computer in order for the version you are using to work properly.

Larry

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Les Kriegler

David,

In addition to what Larry has stated, I’ve noticed that for whatever reason, the shortcut stops working. I’ve had to go into the Jaws version I wish it assigned, and set it up again.

Best Regards,

Les

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Ann Byrne

Sometimes that keystroke seems to get lost. Doublecheck in properties that it is still assigned.
1. Go to the desktop.
2. Locate the JAWS icon, do not press enter.
3. Press alt+enter. This should give you properties.
4. Tab to shortcut, and be sure it is set to ctrl+alt+j.
5. Tab to okay. sometimes you get an error message saying that only an administrator can make this change. Okay the message, then you can okay the change.
6. While still on the JAWS icon, press alt+enter again and check to be sure it worked.

Good luck!

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Larry Gassman

I’ve never had to reset the hot keys in older versions.  They have always worked for me.

Larry

  The shortcut keys for JAWS are slow to make the program respond however they usually work.  With older JAWS versions the shortcut keys had to be reset after an update.

Dan

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

kevin meyers

I checjked how mine was set as it wasn't working with control alt j. It was
set to none. The only other options were control alt up or control alt down.
Is there a way to set it to control alt J?

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open
JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open
NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and
she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the
problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or
something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Pat Seed

Hi Larry and All,
Like you said, Larry, before installing any new version of JAWS, I always change the shortcut of the older version to be:
(control alt 0) for JAWS 2020,
(control alt 9) if it is JAWS 2019,
(control alt 8) if it is JAWS 2018, and so on.

Then I install the updated JAWS, which then, can use the
(control alt j).

This numbering system works great for using older versions of JAWS, because it is easy to remember, should I like to use an older version for something in particular.

Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Mario

just press j, the control+alt is automatically assumed unless you want
to use some other combination.

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open
JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open
NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and
she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the
problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or
something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

.

Larry Gassman

Yes, with this key combination, you need to press the letter "J" and tab to
Okay.
Other key combinations like CTRL+SHIFT+ need to be pressed in combination
with the letter you choose.
So with regard to your example, press alt+enter tab then to the shortcut key
and press J
And then tab to Okay.

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open
JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open
NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and
she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the
problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or
something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

netbat66

i get this sometimes. and i have to go into the properties and the shortcut will be there but will not work until i put it back to none, click on ok to save it and re set it back to control alt j again. then it will start working again.

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Adrian Spratt

I skipped past several messages on this topic and so I don't know if this suggestion was also made.

I used to have the problem of the disappearing control-alt-j shortcut until an FS tech support guy told me to rename the icon. Ever since, I've added the word "shortcut" in the icons for every version of JAWS on my desktop. I'm trying to remember if I created the control-alt-j shortcut before or after renaming the icon. I'm guessing I do that first.

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open
JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open
NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and
she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the
problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or
something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Marty Hutchings

I too have had no joy with desktop shortcuts ever since installing JAWS 2020.  It is not only the JAWS hot key that doesn’t work, but all of my short cuts that quit working.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 9:06 AM

From a fellow sufferer of this bug, I’m guessing she is running Jaws 2020 on Windows 10, or 2019 on Windows 10.  I reported this bug last year to FS and discovered that only a few people had this issue.

Eric Damery did a tandem session with me and he could observe it on my machine, this  was still with Jaws 2019.

They thought they had solved it in 2020, which did work fine for about 4 days.

Then, I lost the ability to use the shortcuts I had created.

So, I switched to using the pin to task bar, I think it is called, where Windows Key plus 1 launches the first program in the order pinned, etc.

I am the only user of this machine, I have admin rights up the ying yang, yet, they do not seem to know what causes this.

This is a Del Inspiron  57 something or other, laptop.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Richard Turner

Everyone experiencing this, please contact Freedom Scientific.

Changing the icon name does nothing for me, no desktop shortcuts work.

This is not true for everyone, but for those of us for whom it is true, it is a pain in the butt!

I now either use the Windows 1 through 0 keys for programs pinned to the task bar, or I tap the Windows Key and type enough of the name to get a match and hit enter.

Richard

I too have had no joy with desktop shortcuts ever since installing JAWS 2020.  It is not only the JAWS hot key that doesn’t work, but all of my short cuts that quit working.

Love in Christ
Marty

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

David Goldfield

I seriously doubt that what I'm about to suggest is the cause of the problem. However, as I encountered similar issues a while ago I'll just throw this out there. Is the consumer having this problem using the commercial MalwareBytes program?

I encountered similar issues which, in my case, was caused by or at least had something to do with running the commercial version of MalwareBytes along with Kaspersky Antivirus. I did not wish to remove Kaspersky but removing Malwarebytes solved the problem.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

-----Original Message----- From: Ann Byrne
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 7:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Richard Turner

Well, I only use Windows Defender and have the issue; so you are right, that isn't the cause in my case.

Richard

https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.davidgoldfield.org%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf14a615800ec4f95ae3308d82aa145c1%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637306219429527920&amp;sdata=ROTVyuibe915bsgCus%2FYFAaz8aTF9VUpjp7eLfkYBlQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 7:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Marty Hutchings

If you have a desktop icon for your JAWS or any ap, just hit Windows D and hit the first letter of the ap that you wish to open.

Love in Christ
Marty

I too have had no joy with desktop shortcuts ever since installing JAWS 2020.  It is not only the JAWS hot key that doesn’t work, but all of my short cuts that quit working.

Love in Christ
Marty

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Mike B

Hi Adrain,

Why not go with, J2020, just to cut down on what you have to listen to?  And with subsequent version shortcuts you or someone else has on their desktop, J19, J2018....

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 2:46 PM

At 08:23 AM 7/17/2020, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open
>JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open
>NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and
>she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the
>problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or
>something like that? If so, what do you do?
>

>Any assistance is appreciated.
>

>Thanks,
>
>David

Richard Turner

its easier to use the Windows 1, etc. or to tap windows and type a couple letters when you have programs that start with the same letter.
Of course, it's easiest if the standard hotkeys from the desktop worked the way they do without Jaws.

Richard