moderated confirmation button won't work

Judy

Hi, all,  I am on a website trying to set up a date and time for a phone interview. I was able to choose the date, and then it gave a list of times available for that date. There is a definite button for each date to choose, but when I enter on the one I want it doesn’t confirm it. I’ve tried actually selecting it and pressing enter and a few other things but nothing works. Any help is appreciated in advance. Using win 10, jaws 2019. Judy & Libby

Mike B.

Have you tried using a different browser to see if the results are the same?  Also, after pressing spacebar or enter on the confirmation button try pressing, Insert + escape, to refresh / repaint the screen and see if that'll help.  I've found that on many websites the chromium browsers are slow to respond to key commands.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 11:36 AM
Subject: confirmation button won't work

Hi, all,  I am on a website trying to set up a date and time for a phone interview. I was able to choose the date, and then it gave a list of times available for that date. There is a definite button for each date to choose, but when I enter on the one I want it doesn’t confirm it. I’ve tried actually selecting it and pressing enter and a few other things but nothing works. Any help is appreciated in advance. Using win 10, jaws 2019. Judy & Libby

Adrian Spratt

If these methods don’t work, try turning on the JAWS cursor, locating the button with that cursor, then pressing Jaws key+the PC key. This used to work often, but less so lately.

Then if that fails, try the touch cursor, shift-PC key and locating the button in case pressing enter works.

It crosses my mind that turning off JAWS and going with Narrator might be an option, but I’ve never tried it.

Little is more frustrating than going through an entire form, only for the last button not to work with a screenreader.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 3:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: confirmation button won't work

Have you tried using a different browser to see if the results are the same?  Also, after pressing spacebar or enter on the confirmation button try pressing, Insert + escape, to refresh / repaint the screen and see if that'll help.  I've found that on many websites the chromium browsers are slow to respond to key commands.

Judy

That’s for sure, extremely frustrating for sure. I confess I don’t know how to find the touch cursor, what keystroke is it? Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 4:39 PM

If these methods don’t work, try turning on the JAWS cursor, locating the button with that cursor, then pressing Jaws key+the PC key. This used to work often, but less so lately.

Then if that fails, try the touch cursor, shift-PC key and locating the button in case pressing enter works.

It crosses my mind that turning off JAWS and going with Narrator might be an option, but I’ve never tried it.

Little is more frustrating than going through an entire form, only for the last button not to work with a screenreader.

Jim Fettgather

I have gotten confirmation buttons to work by turning off virtual mode, Insert+Z, and then navigating to the confirmation button with the tab key and hitting enter on it, again, with virtual mode turned off.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 7:14 PM

That’s for sure, extremely frustrating for sure. I confess I don’t know how to find the touch cursor, what keystroke is it? Judy & Libby

Mike B.

To activate the Touch cursor press, Shift + Numpad Plus / PC cursor key.

To disable the Touch cursor tap the Numpad Plus / PC cursor key twice quickly. 
Other keystrokes for both desktop and laptop layouts are below. 

Desktop keystrokes:
table with 2 columns and 13 rows
Touch Cursor activation keystroke:
SHIFT+NUM PAD PLUS 

Touch Cursor, turning it off:
Tap the PC cursor key twice to turn it off.

Next Object
RIGHT ARROW or TAB
Prior Object
LEFT ARROW or SHIFT+TAB
Next Object by Type
DOWN ARROW
Prior Object by Type
UP ARROW
Cycle Through Object Navigation Types
PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN
First Object
CTRL+HOME
Last Object
CTRL+END
Say Current Object
INSERT+UP ARROW
Say All with Touch Cursor
INSERT+DOWN ARROW
Route Touch Cursor to Focused Object
INSERT+NUM PAD PLUS
Text Review
NUM PAD SLASH or INSERT+ENTER
Advanced Navigation
NUM PAD STAR
table end

Laptop keystrokes:
To start and turn off the Touch Cursor using the laptop keyboard layout. 

To start:
Shift, Caps Lock + Semicolon

To exit:
Hold down the Caps Lock key, and tap the semicolon key, twice quickly.

Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 5:14 PM

Debby Hill

Hi All,

This thread reminds me of the problem I have been having doing a change of address on the USPS site—that’s the US Postal Service. I get all the way down the page filling in the basic information, and then you are supposed to press a “next” button. Well, I have tried all of the options people have given here, but nothing works to activate that button. I have reported it to USPS, and of course they said that they will route the problem to the appropriate department. Their suggestion was that I have my mail carrier bring me a paper form or get one at the post office. Of course that’s ironic because that is what I was trying to avoid. There is a chance that there might be a CAPTCHA on the page, but if it is there, it is well hidden. I will probably have AIRA do it, but if anyone has a solution, I would like to hear it.

I thought that maybe I was making an error on the page, but I have tried it so many time that I can’t imagine that is the issue. I have tried it with NVDA and the USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSP app   on my iPhone, and no go.

Take care and stay Safe!

Debby

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Fettgather
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 8:45 PM

I have gotten confirmation buttons to work by turning off virtual mode, Insert+Z, and then navigating to the confirmation button with the tab key and hitting enter on it, again, with virtual mode turned off.

Bill White

Hi, Debby. Use the X key to see if there is a check box on the page. This is how you can tell if there is a captcha. If there is one, usually it will say,

I'm not a robot, check box not checked. If you are using Chrome, and are signed into Google, it will allow you to verify that you are not a robot after you check the check box.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 10:02 AM

Hi All,

This thread reminds me of the problem I have been having doing a change of address on the USPS site—that’s the US Postal Service. I get all the way down the page filling in the basic information, and then you are supposed to press a “next” button. Well, I have tried all of the options people have given here, but nothing works to activate that button. I have reported it to USPS, and of course they said that they will route the problem to the appropriate department. Their suggestion was that I have my mail carrier bring me a paper form or get one at the post office. Of course that’s ironic because that is what I was trying to avoid. There is a chance that there might be a CAPTCHA on the page, but if it is there, it is well hidden. I will probably have AIRA do it, but if anyone has a solution, I would like to hear it.

I thought that maybe I was making an error on the page, but I have tried it so many time that I can’t imagine that is the issue. I have tried it with NVDA and the USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSP app   on my iPhone, and no go.

Take care and stay Safe!

Debby

Debby Hill

Hi,

Well, the plot thickens! I had an AIRA agent look at the USPS site. It had flagged some errors, but the error messages were in red and not accessible to JAWS. Also, even though I had activated the correct radio buttons, it was showing an error. With JAWS turned off the agent was able to fix that. The final error that the agent could not fix was what we were getting on my new apartment number. The only thing I can think of is that because my new apartment number has letters in it, the site saw it as invalid. (Seems to be some over-zealous validation routine.)

Bill, I tried the X in looking for a CAPTCHA and there wasn’t a checkbox on the page. The AIRA agent did tell me that the page did not have a CAPTCHA.

Needless to say I will be back in touch with USPS, and I will probably have to get a paper form.

Debby   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 1:12 PM

Hi, Debby. Use the X key to see if there is a check box on the page. This is how you can tell if there is a captcha. If there is one, usually it will say,

I'm not a robot, check box not checked. If you are using Chrome, and are signed into Google, it will allow you to verify that you are not a robot after you check the check box.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Take care and stay Safe!

Debby

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

they are a government agency. USPS Has to comply with ADA. Legally their website Has to be accessible. So if you get any resistance from whoever you talk to you might want to mention this.

Randy Barnett

On Jun 14, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Debby Hill <dm-hill@...> wrote:

Hi,

Well, the plot thickens! I had an AIRA agent look at the USPS site. It had flagged some errors, but the error messages were in red and not accessible to JAWS. Also, even though I had activated the correct radio buttons, it was showing an error. With JAWS turned off the agent was able to fix that. The final error that the agent could not fix was what we were getting on my new apartment number. The only thing I can think of is that because my new apartment number has letters in it, the site saw it as invalid. (Seems to be some over-zealous validation routine.)

Bill, I tried the X in looking for a CAPTCHA and there wasn’t a checkbox on the page. The AIRA agent did tell me that the page did not have a CAPTCHA.

Needless to say I will be back in touch with USPS, and I will probably have to get a paper form.

Debby   

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Take care and stay Safe!

Debby

Adrian Spratt

Debby,

Two thoughts come to mind. First, it seems highly unlikely that letters in your apartment identifier would throw the website for a loop. It’s quite common. I wonder if upper v. lower case might be the issue. Or a space?

As for red, I agree, you wouldn’t know to look for errors without being notified the website believed you had made errors. However, now that the problem is narrowed to the apartment, you could place focus at the field, without going into forms mode, and press JAWS key+numbers row 5 to find out which colors are on display. Then you could experiment.

What a pain in the neck. Best of luck solving it.

Adrian

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 5:41 PM

Hi,

Debby   

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi All,

Take care and stay Safe!

Debby