moderated Computer won't allow me too install windows 11.

Albert Cutolo

Good evening everyone, 

Earlier this afternoon, I got in touch with the people from Microsoft’s disability answer desk  and asked them to see if this computer would be able too install windows 11.  Unfortunately, after they ran the windows help thing,  it said that the chip that is in this computer which is a dell 46 hundred, with a one point two   chip wouldn’t  allow windows 11, too be installed.  He said that I would need a chip that has a two point zero chip, or perhaps, that kind of processor.      

Hi,

Ah, Trusted Platform Module (TPM)? Yes, you will need a TPM 2.0 chip, either physical, platform-based , or virtual. We also need the exact model of this computer so we can figure out if the computer is truly ready for Windows 11.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 6:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Computer won't allow me too install windows 11.

Good evening everyone, 

Earlier this afternoon, I got in touch with the people from Microsoft’s disability answer desk  and asked them to see if this computer would be able too install windows 11.  Unfortunately, after they ran the windows help thing,  it said that the chip that is in this computer which is a dell 46 hundred, with a one point two   chip wouldn’t  allow windows 11, too be installed.  He said that I would need a chip that has a two point zero chip, or perhaps, that kind of processor.      

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 09:20 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
We also need the exact model of this computer so we can figure out if the computer is truly ready for Windows 11.
-
Not that this wouldn't be helpful, but the very latest Windows PC Health Check that Microsoft has released is supposed to be quite accurate as far as detecting whether the hardware on which it is being run can be updated to Windows 11.

It sounds like the results of a run of that tool already has specifically detected that Mr. Cutolo's machine does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for TPM, even if it met every other requirement.  And all it takes is one of the required bits to be missing to put the kibosh on upgrading to Windows 11.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Albert Cutolo

Good evening Brian and Joseph, 

Yes, the person from the Microsoft disability answer desk,  did run the TPM and it did indeed came too the conclusion  that this particular computer wouldn’t be able too install windows 11.  Perhaps it is because I purchased this from computers for the blind. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: Computer won't allow me too install windows 11.

We also need the exact model of this computer so we can figure out if the computer is truly ready for Windows 11.

-
Not that this wouldn't be helpful, but the very latest Windows PC Health Check that Microsoft has released is supposed to be quite accurate as far as detecting whether the hardware on which it is being run can be updated to Windows 11.

It sounds like the results of a run of that tool already has specifically detected that Mr. Cutolo's machine does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for TPM, even if it met every other requirement.  And all it takes is one of the required bits to be missing to put the kibosh on upgrading to Windows 11.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

David Diamond

Albert, if it is any consolation, I asked the MS help desk to run a diagnostic on a computer that my sister bought from Amazon a few months ago and has set to set it up.  Finally I just asked her if you are not going to set it up, just give it to me.  Well, along with other things that needed tweaking including putting on the latest version of JAWS, I thought as long as the tech is peeking in my computer, she might as well look to see if it can run windows 11.  Apparently, the processor from what I could determine from her thick accent, is not fast enough.  She re-assured me that 10 would be operational till 025.  Also she suggested I contact HP to see if there is anything they can do to fix the problem.  Call me naive, but, I’d think computers would not be sold if the processor will be shortly to slow.  Mind you, I’m buying a laptop from Amazon with just DDR 3 RAM, which I was told is pretty much obsolete now. 

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 9:26 PM

Yes, the person from the Microsoft disability answer desk,  did run the TPM and it did indeed came too the conclusion  that this particular computer wouldn’t be able too install windows 11.  Perhaps it is because I purchased this from computers for the blind. 

-

--

~ William Plomer

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

You always get what you pay for. From what I know of Computers for the Blind they usually sell machines which are donated to them and which they refurbish, but this will mean they are probably most likely older and nothing that is more than 4 or at most 5 years old will run Windows 11 because for the most part you need an 8th Generation Intel processor (a very few 7th Gen Intel CPU's have been allowed) or an AMD Ryzen 2000 series processor.

Intel released its 8th Generation processors in August 2017 so at the earliest computers bought in late summer/early fall 2017 would have had such a CPU.

AMD released its Ryzen 2000 series CPU's in April of 2018 so unless you bought an AMD computer after that it is unlikely it will support Windows 11.

My Asus Zenbook which I bought in November 2016 when 7th Generation Intel processorswere already available still had a 6th Generation CPU and even though it has a TPM 2.0 chip, uses UEFI for the BIOS and SecureBoot is enabled it still won't run Windows 11 because the processor itself does not meet the requirements.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: September 27, 2021 11:18 PM

Albert, if it is any consolation, I asked the MS help desk to run a diagnostic on a computer that my sister bought from Amazon a few months ago and has set to set it up.  Finally I just asked her if you are not going to set it up, just give it to me.  Well, along with other things that needed tweaking including putting on the latest version of JAWS, I thought as long as the tech is peeking in my computer, she might as well look to see if it can run windows 11.  Apparently, the processor from what I could determine from her thick accent, is not fast enough.  She re-assured me that 10 would be operational till 025.  Also she suggested I contact HP to see if there is anything they can do to fix the problem.  Call me naive, but, I’d think computers would not be sold if the processor will be shortly to slow.  Mind you, I’m buying a laptop from Amazon with just DDR 3 RAM, which I was told is pretty much obsolete now. 

-

--

~ William Plomer

Loy

I read on Kim Komando's newsletter, that Microsoft will allow some older computers to install Windows 11 if they sign a waver.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 9:15 PM

Good evening everyone, 

Pat Byrne

I don't think that where the computer came from makes a lot of difference. It was an older donated computer when you received it, so by now it is probably quite elderly. We have an organization near where I live that accepts computers and re-homes them with people who have computer needs. Again, the computers that they deal with are older.
And from what I've seen, as a JAWS user, there was nothing apparent in WIN11 that made me particularly in a hurry to make the jump.
Good luck.
Pat ByrneAt 11:25 PM 9/27/2021, you wrote:

Good evening Brian and Joseph,Â

Yes, the person from the Microsoft disability answer desk,  did run the TPM and it did indeed came too the conclusion that this particular computer wouldn’t be able too install windows 11. Perhaps it is because I purchased this from computers for the blind.Â

-

It sounds like the results of a run of that tool already has specifically detected that Mr. Cutolo's machine does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for TPM, even if it met every other requirement. And all it takes is one of the required bits to be missing to put the kibosh on upgrading to Windows 11.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

~ William Plomer

David Diamond

So, when would a computer with I 5 have been made?  I probably got the specs wrong however, a laptop on Amazon has a I 5 processor.  That almost sounds like it was made over 10 years ago.  How is that possible. As in how could they sell such an old computer.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 2:58 AM

You always get what you pay for. From what I know of Computers for the Blind they usually sell machines which are donated to them and which they refurbish, but this will mean they are probably most likely older and nothing that is more than 4 or at most 5 years old will run Windows 11 because for the most part you need an 8th Generation Intel processor (a very few 7th Gen Intel CPU's have been allowed) or an AMD Ryzen 2000 series processor.

Intel released its 8th Generation processors in August 2017 so at the earliest computers bought in late summer/early fall 2017 would have had such a CPU.

AMD released its Ryzen 2000 series CPU's in April of 2018 so unless you bought an AMD computer after that it is unlikely it will support Windows 11.

My Asus Zenbook which I bought in November 2016 when 7th Generation Intel processorswere already available still had a 6th Generation CPU and even though it has a TPM 2.0 chip, uses UEFI for the BIOS and SecureBoot is enabled it still won't run Windows 11 because the processor itself does not meet the requirements.

-

--

~ William Plomer

Hi,

I5 is a brand/class. The first Core I3/I5/I7 processors were made in 2008, and Intel added Core I9 to the line-up recently. These four classes target different market segment:

• Core I3: entry consumer
  • Core I5: mainstream consumer and business
  • Core I7: high-end consumer and business
  • Core I9: enthusiasts

A typical Intel Core processor is labeled as:

Intel Core I{class}-{generation}{range}{name}{suffix}

For example, a Core I-5-10400 processor is a tenth generation Core I5 processor for desktops. The label gets a bit complicated with recent mobile processors such as:

Intel Core I{class}-{generation}{name}G{power}

For example, Core I5-1145G7 is an 11th generation processor designed for a typical laptop computer. Intel knows that this creates confusion, so the processor prefixes its full name with the generation it is part of (for example: 11th Gen Intel Core).

There will be a general advisory on Windows 11 support (especially from screen reader user’s point of view) to be published on a forum dedicated to discussing a combination of Windows and various screen readers out there.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 7:00 AM

So, when would a computer with I 5 have been made?  I probably got the specs wrong however, a laptop on Amazon has a I 5 processor.  That almost sounds like it was made over 10 years ago.  How is that possible. As in how could they sell such an old computer.   

-

--

~ William Plomer

Albert Cutolo

Good morning everyone,

I sincerely hope that the message that I posted too this list about my not being able too install windows 11 on this computer, which I purchased through computers for the blind, appears too seem as though I'm ungreatful for what was given too me, because it does for me for the most part, enables me too b able too do what I need it for. I mainly use the computer for reading and sending emails, being able too download books from Bard, and doing searches using the internet with the chrome browser. I had too go this route, because I've had too make a lot of co-payments for medical expenses that I incurred over the last two years.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pat Byrne
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 8:53 AM

I don't think that where the computer came from makes a lot of difference. It was an older donated computer when you received it, so by now it is probably quite elderly. We have an organization near where I live that accepts computers and re-homes them with people who have computer needs. Again, the computers that they deal with are older.
And from what I've seen, as a JAWS user, there was nothing apparent in WIN11 that made me particularly in a hurry to make the jump.
Good luck.

Yes, the person from the Microsoft disability answer desk, Â did run
the TPM and it did indeed came too the conclusion that this
particular computer wouldn’t be able too install windows 11.Â
Perhaps it is because I purchased this from computers for the blind.Â

We also need the exact model of this computer so
we can figure out if the computer is truly ready for Windows 11.

-
Not that this wouldn't be helpful, but the very
latest Windows PC Health Check that Microsoft
has released is supposed to be quite accurate as
far as detecting whether the hardware on which
it is being run can be updated to Windows 11.

It sounds like the results of a run of that tool
already has specifically detected that Mr.
Cutolo's machine does not meet the minimum
hardware requirements for TPM, even if it met
every other requirement. And all it takes is
one of the required bits to be missing to put
the kibosh on upgrading to Windows 11.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive
the relations between thoughts, or things, or
forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into
some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Hi,
One thing I and other Windows Insiders (and anyone running Windows 10) can assure you: if you have Windows 10 on your system, it will be supported until 2025. One of my computers cannot upgrade to Windows 11 due to processor and TPM requirements not being met, but it is powerful enough to last another four years or so (got Windows 11 installed virtually though, although you will now need virtualization programs that can support physical or virtual TPM).
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 7:24 AM

Good morning everyone,

I sincerely hope that the message that I posted too this list about my not being able too install windows 11 on this computer, which I purchased through computers for the blind, appears too seem as though I'm ungreatful for what was given too me, because it does for me for the most part, enables me too b able too do what I need it for. I mainly use the computer for reading and sending emails, being able too download books from Bard, and doing searches using the internet with the chrome browser. I had too go this route, because I've had too make a lot of co-payments for medical expenses that I incurred over the last two years.

Good luck.

particular computer wouldn’t be able too install windows 11. Perhaps
it is because I purchased this from computers for the blind.Â

We also need the exact model of this computer so we can figure out if
the computer is truly ready for Windows 11.

-
Not that this wouldn't be helpful, but the very latest Windows PC
Health Check that Microsoft has released is supposed to be quite
accurate as far as detecting whether the hardware on which it is being
run can be updated to Windows 11.

It sounds like the results of a run of that tool already has
specifically detected that Mr.
Cutolo's machine does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for
TPM, even if it met every other requirement. And all it takes is one
of the required bits to be missing to put the kibosh on upgrading to
Windows 11.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between
thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the
power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

HI Albert,
I would say, relax. You will be able to continue to do what you need to do with Windows 10 for more years than the computer will probably last.

I know you appreciate the computer and use it to meet your needs.

So, enjoy and forget about Windows 11.

Later,
Richard
“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Good morning everyone,

Good luck.

-

Windows 11.
--

~ William Plomer

David Diamond

I personally did not think you were ungrateful. Sometimes those things are necessary. The only time I object is when these agencies, to use a Biblical term, is when they hand us a scorpion instead of a fish. That's why I cringe when I hear refurbished. Just my foolish thoughts.

Good morning everyone,

Good luck.

-

Windows 11.
--

~ William Plomer

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 08:54 AM, Pat Byrne wrote:
I don't think that where the computer came from makes a lot of difference.
-
It really doesn't.  There is plenty of hardware still on store shelves that will not meet the requirements for Windows 11.

But as you noted, Windows 10 is going to be around until 2025 (at least, I suspect there may end up being an extension, but that's pure speculation on my part) and the vast majority of hardware that cannot run Windows 11 will have reached its end of service life anyway.

For most that are incompatible, processor speed and memory has nothing to do with it.  TPM chips on the motherboard is a very recent development, relatively speaking.  The machine I'm typing on has a 4th generation i7 processor and no TPM, and it will not be able to go to Windows 11.

It all comes back to each of us will be using what Microsoft supports for our specific hardware.  If the hardware can accept Windows 11, you'll have the opportunity to upgrade.  If it doesn't, you'll just continue getting Windows 10 updates as you have been.  There's nothing any one of us can do to change this, so it's not worth even thinking about for a specific computer.  If you're buying a new one, that's a different story, but that's not what was asked about.

--

~ William Plomer

David Diamond

Thanks, Joseph.  It is for Business and a Dell.  At least it is classified as a business lap top.  It has 16 G RAM and 500 G SSD. I got turned on to SSD when a blind agency donated a laptop computer to me and it was originally a 7, upgraded to 10 and was slower then molasses in January. The tech at a computer store was able to copy over from the hard drive to the new SSD, but, said the hard drive was not salvageable, as in could not be used as an external hard drive.    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 7:11 AM

Hi,

I5 is a brand/class. The first Core I3/I5/I7 processors were made in 2008, and Intel added Core I9 to the line-up recently. These four classes target different market segment:

• Core I3: entry consumer
  • Core I5: mainstream consumer and business
  • Core I7: high-end consumer and business
  • Core I9: enthusiasts

A typical Intel Core processor is labeled as:

Intel Core I{class}-{generation}{range}{name}{suffix}

For example, a Core I-5-10400 processor is a tenth generation Core I5 processor for desktops. The label gets a bit complicated with recent mobile processors such as:

Intel Core I{class}-{generation}{name}G{power}

For example, Core I5-1145G7 is an 11th generation processor designed for a typical laptop computer. Intel knows that this creates confusion, so the processor prefixes its full name with the generation it is part of (for example: 11th Gen Intel Core).

There will be a general advisory on Windows 11 support (especially from screen reader user’s point of view) to be published on a forum dedicated to discussing a combination of Windows and various screen readers out there.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 7:00 AM

-

--

~ William Plomer

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 11:33 AM, David Diamond wrote:
-

Windows Access with Screen Readers Group (Formerly: Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group)

Group Archive: https://winaccess.groups.io/g/winaccess/topics

Subscribe: winaccess+subscribe@winaccess.groups.io

Unsubscribe: winaccess+unsubscribe@winaccess.groups.io  

Group Owner: winaccess+owner@winaccess.groups.io  

Help: winaccess+help@winaccess.groups.io

--

~ William Plomer

Loy

There are I5 processors but with different generation of that processor. Windows 11 will require a I5 generation 7 or above. I have a I3 10 gen and it is eligible for the upgrade. I also have an I5 4gen and it is not eligible.

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:59 AM

-

--

~ William Plomer

Hi,

Actually, gen 8 (coffee lake) or later with certain 7th generation processors supported due to feedback from Insiders about it.

A complete list of Windows 11 supported Intel processors can be found here:

Windows processor requirements Windows 11 supported Intel processors | Microsoft Docs

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:27 AM

There are I5 processors but with different generation of that processor. Windows 11 will require a I5 generation 7 or above. I have a I3 10 gen and it is eligible for the upgrade. I also have an I5 4gen and it is not eligible.

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:59 AM

-

--

~ William Plomer

Kenny Peyattt jr.

How do you get a virtual tpm chip>

Kenny Peyatt jr.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy

I read on Kim Komando's newsletter, that Microsoft will allow some older computers to install Windows 11 if they sign a waver.

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 9:15 PM

Good evening everyone,