Combo box behavior in Outlook 2019 advanced find dialog

Hi List,

I’m using Fusion 2020 and am learning a new Outlook 2019 on a new Windows 10 computer. I noted the advanced find keystroke of ctrl + shift + f buried in the Email Clients thread  that seems to have acquired  a life of its own. When you invoke the advance find dialog with the hotkey, you can press alt + k to move to the combo box where you can pick where you want to search.  If starting from the inbox as I usually am, you’ll by default be searching Messages which is preselected in the combo box. After pressing alt + k, I press alt + down arrow to move through the drop-down list that opens. This is where the behavior is unlike anything I’m used to on my Windows 7 computer. Instead of letting me arrow up and down the list and pressing enter to select the one I want, as soon as I press either up or down arrow, the list closes and whichever item was in the arrowed spot is selected. Is there another way to arrow up and down through a combo box list in Outlook 2019 you can share where I can be the one making the selection?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan Lemly

Bill White

Hi, Alan. Rather than using ALT plus Down Arrow to open the combo box, try just pressing SPACE on the closed combo box to open (expand) it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Alan,

I am getting the same peculiar behavior with that dropdown box as you are and using NVDA.  What I have noticed that ALT+K, followed by the first letter of the item you want to search, works to set it.  You do have to do this twice if you want to look in Appointments as there is an All category that will come with the first letter A.  Here are the dropdown box options:

Any type of Outlook item
Appointments and Meetings
Contacts
Files (Outlook/Exchange)
Journal Entries
Messages [default at initial opening]
Notes
Tasks

Another thing I'm noticing, and it's not 100% consistent, is sometimes after you do an ALT+K, letter combination the Advanced Find box disappears from focus and visual view, but it is not actually closed.  You need to bring it back up via ALT+TAB.

Both of these things seem to be Outlook bugs and you may want to get Microsoft Accessibility involved and demo them for them so they can see it actually happening.

            ~Brian Vogel

By the way, I'm using Outlook 2016, but 2016 serves as the code base for 2019 and 365, and I very much doubt that Advanced Find has been touched in some time.

            ~Brian Vogel

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply and the confirmation. I’ll sort out how to contact Microsoft Accessibility in order to report this. I surely can’t believe this behavior is by design. And also thanks for telling me about the first letter navigation. I expect I’ll normally be searching for Contacts when not searching for the Messages default and tapping the c key as you suggested gets me there.

Alan Lemly

[...]

Bill,

I tried the spacebar on the combo box before posting and it does nothing. I tried a few different keystrokes on the box and alt + down arrow was what opened it has in other programs. The problem Is that you are unable to arrow through what’s in the box in order to select what you want.

Alan

[...]

Tony

Sometimes you can down arrow quickly.  The list will close but when you reopen it you will be on some entry in the list.  A few frustrating trials may get you where you want to go.

Tony