moderated changing how jaws speaks a word

Karen Reynolds

Hi,

I was reading about the Great Lakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes

I was going through by headings and one of them is sewage, which if you are listening to this you will discover it is pronounced incorrectly. It should be sueage, or that is as close as I can get to it. How do I change how Jaws speaks this word to speak it correctly? Also, when there are updates will it keep it?

Karen

Mike B.

You want to modify the Jaws dictionary.  If you only want to change the pronunciation of this word while in a specific program try the following.
1. Open the specific app / program and press, Insert + D, to open the Jaws dictionary for this app / program.

2. Tab to, Add, press the spacebar to open.  You're in the, Actual word edit field, so type the word as it actually is.

3. Tab once to the, Replacement field, and type the word the way you want it to be pronounced by Jaws.

4. Now tab through the other dialogues making any settings changes you feel you might need to make, which there shouldn't be any, until you get to the, Okay button, and press the spacebar.

4. Now press, Control + S, to save and, Alt + F4, to close.

If you want this dictionary change to be in effect for all programs do it this way:

1. Press, Insert + D, to open the Jaws dictionary, then press, Control, Shift + D, to open the Jaws default dictionary.

2. Tab to, Add, press the spacebar to open.  You're in the, Actual word edit field, so type the word as it actually is.

3. Tab once to the, Replacement field, and type the word the way you want it to be pronounced by Jaws.

4. Now tab through the other dialogues making any settings changes you feel you might need to make, which there shouldn't be any, until you get to the, Okay button, and press the spacebar.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

I was going through by headings and one of them is sewage, which if you are listening to this you will discover it is pronounced incorrectly. It should be sueage, or that is as close as I can get to it. How do I change how Jaws speaks this word to speak it correctly? Also, when there are updates will it keep it?

Karen

I want to add one thing to Mike B's excellent instructions, and that is you may want to consider playing with the "how you want it to be pronounced by JAWS" spelling options in something like Notepad so that you can listen to what your "interesting spellings" will actually sound like when JAWS reads them.

There's sometimes a significant amount of trial and error coming up with an alternate phonetic spelling that actually gets read the way you want it to.  But after you have that pronunciation nailed, then use that spelling in the replacement.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Mike B.

Hi Brian,

You make an excellent point!  Sometimes you not only have to really totally screw around with a word to get Jaws to pronounce it the way you want it, but you might have to place spaces in between syllables for Jaws to do this as you want it reported.  Using weird vowel and consonant combinations is very common.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

I want to add one thing to Mike B's excellent instructions, and that is you may want to consider playing with the "how you want it to be pronounced by JAWS" spelling options in something like Notepad so that you can listen to what your "interesting spellings" will actually sound like when JAWS reads them.

There's sometimes a significant amount of trial and error coming up with an alternate phonetic spelling that actually gets read the way you want it to.  But after you have that pronunciation nailed, then use that spelling in the replacement.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Adrian Spratt

Mike,

A couple of notes:

Once you press insert-d, you’re situated on the “Add” button. No need to tab. Instead, press spacebar.

Second, you’ll often find yourself with focus on the word whose pronunciation you wish to change. In that case, the word will already occupy the first field. So to make the change, instead of typing it in, tab once to the “change” field.

With regard to how to correct the pronunciation, look for patterns. For example, beginning a syllable with an uppercase letter is likely to place emphasis on that syllable. This is the kind of experimentation Brian and you allude to in your later messages. I’m just noting that there are patterns that are worth remembering for future JAWS dictionary entries.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

I was going through by headings and one of them is sewage, which if you are listening to this you will discover it is pronounced incorrectly. It should be sueage, or that is as close as I can get to it. How do I change how Jaws speaks this word to speak it correctly? Also, when there are updates will it keep it?

Karen

Steve Nutt

Hi,

You want to learn about the JAWS dictionary manager for this.

See this link for an intro:-

https://support.freedomscientific.com/teachers/lessons/9.1_DictionaryManagerIntroduction.htm

All the best

Steve

I was going through by headings and one of them is sewage, which if you are listening to this you will discover it is pronounced incorrectly. It should be sueage, or that is as close as I can get to it. How do I change how Jaws speaks this word to speak it correctly? Also, when there are updates will it keep it?

Karen

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

That’s a good tip. I don’t use it, simply because you can press insert Up Arrow in the replacement edit field to get the pronunciation, but it’s not a bad idea.

All the best

Steve

I want to add one thing to Mike B's excellent instructions, and that is you may want to consider playing with the "how you want it to be pronounced by JAWS" spelling options in something like Notepad so that you can listen to what your "interesting spellings" will actually sound like when JAWS reads them.

There's sometimes a significant amount of trial and error coming up with an alternate phonetic spelling that actually gets read the way you want it to.  But after you have that pronunciation nailed, then use that spelling in the replacement.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Mike Pietruk

Brian makes a great point here.

Initially, I was much like Karen upset when a word was mispronounced
expecting a screen reader to be a perfect speaker of the English language
and my version of the English language, namely USA English.
Then, something else struck me.

From a practical standpoint, I am the only listener of my screen reader.
As long as I am the only listener/reader, as long as I know what it is
trying to say, that's all that matters.
Now, if the way it says something might confuse me, certainly, work on a
change.
And, as Brian suggests, it may not be as simple as one expects to
accomplish the fix.

And, of course, we have words in English that are spelled the same but are
pronounced quite differently given the context.
Example, the word spelled W I N D which could have a log or short "letter
i" sound given the meaning.
You are never going to be able to fix that totally.

JFW is a tool, not the perfect ennunciator of a language. As long as you
knows what it means, that's what matters. If anything, be more concerned
that you spell things correctly, especially if what you are preparing
needs to be understood by someone else as a reader not using JFW or
another screen reader.

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022, Brian Vogel wrote:

I want to add one thing to Mike B's excellent instructions, and that is you may want to consider playing with the "how you want it to be pronounced by JAWS" spelling options in something like Notepad so that you can listen to what your "interesting spellings" will actually sound like when JAWS reads them.

There's sometimes a significant amount of trial and error coming up with an alternate phonetic spelling that actually gets read the way you want it to.  But after you have that pronunciation nailed, then use that spelling in the replacement.

*Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.*

~ Kim Chernin

Mike Pietruk

Adrian

When screen readers for a pc first became available widely, probably in
the mid 1980s or so, pronunciations mishaps bothered me. But, as I
continued using screen readers (initially on the former Apple II and
moving on to a pc), I decided that as long as I knew what was being said,
that was all that mattered.
If one begins to take word pronunciations too seriously, one will be
spending a lot of their time on somewhat unproductive activity.
Unless the pronunciation confuses me, I am not going to concern myself
about it.
It is good, however, that JAWS does allow one to modify pronunciations if
needed.

I believe that the word that raised the question may be spoken differently
in different versions of English -- U.S., British, Australian, New
Zealand, et al.

Steve Nutt

But remember, it's not the screen reader that initially pronounces the word
wrong, it's the synthesiser.

Sometimes, if you change synth, you will get a correct pronunciation.

All the best

Steve

Initially, I was much like Karen upset when a word was mispronounced
expecting a screen reader to be a perfect speaker of the English language
and my version of the English language, namely USA English.
Then, something else struck me.

From a practical standpoint, I am the only listener of my screen reader.
[...]

Thanks for that reminder; and this certainly complicates things and
strengthens my belief that, in most instances, one is better off leaving
well enough alone.

Presumably, since JAWS has a dictionary, there are words already in it.
Is there a way to bring up a list (or a readable file containing them) so
one could study what modifications have been implemented?
In the old Window-eyes, one could do this seeing what words had changes
made, what the changes looked like, and one could quickly add words or
phrases to be modified and saved.

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022, Steve Nutt wrote:

But remember, it's not the screen reader that initially pronounces the word
wrong, it's the synthesiser.

Sometimes, if you change synth, you will get a correct pronunciation.

All the best

Steve

Initially, I was much like Karen upset when a word was mispronounced
expecting a screen reader to be a perfect speaker of the English language
and my version of the English language, namely USA English.
Then, something else struck me.

From a practical standpoint, I am the only listener of my screen reader.
[...]

Hi Mike and others,

Thank you so much for answering my question. I knew there was a way, but couldn’t remember it.

Normally I don’t change things either, but this one really stood out as odd. And I’ve noticed that I’ve been pronouncing names of people the way Jaws says them. That causes some to look at me funny, like who are you talking about. I thought if I fixed some of them, I would say their names correctly.

Karen

I was going through by headings and one of them is sewage, which if you are listening to this you will discover it is pronounced incorrectly. It should be sueage, or that is as close as I can get to it. How do I change how Jaws speaks this word to speak it correctly? Also, when there are updates will it keep it?

Karen

Adrian Spratt

I’m surprised that anyone would discourage JAWS users from taking advantage of the dictionary. One reason, as Karen says, is that JAWS can pump incorrect pronunciations into our heads that are difficult to remove, such as unusual names. I also find that, because I have JAWS set to a relatively high speed, I’m accustomed to ignoring words I don’t hear clearly, especially when I’m skimming. Often it’s because JAWS and/or my synthesizer is mispronouncing them. Not good for reading comprehension.

Beyond that, if you read for pleasure and the texts are difficult, mispronunciations make them that much harder and detract from your appreciation.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 07:04 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
But remember, it's not the screen reader that initially pronounces the word
wrong, it's the synthesiser.

Sometimes, if you change synth, you will get a correct pronunciation.
-
True.

But no matter what, you're fiddling with something, and you can be almost certain that what gets fixed in one Synth gets screwed up in another, so you may be rolling the dice as far as what was being pronounced correctly now no longer being so.

That's one of the things I like about NVDA dictionary handling.  Having a dictionary that is applied no matter the synth (default dictionary), versus to a given synth (voice dictionary), versus temporary for playing around before assigning something permanently to one of the other two or for really transient one-time use.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Marty Hutchings

Have you ever been embarrassed by mispronouncing someone's name, because you said it the way JAWS said it and it was dreadfully wrong?  I have and it's not fun.  I just blame it on JAWS and laugh it off most of the time.

On 4/7/2022 9:54 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Lion Marty Hutchings
BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison
(262) 605-8981
mhutchings152730@...
www.wisconsinbold.com

Bill White

Usually, Marty, if you look at the spelling of people's names, you can figure out that JAWS is mispronouncing the name. Usually I look at the spelling of names, even when I know JAWS is not mispronouncing them, because, names may be spelled differently, and I don't want to type someone's name incorrectly. For example, Chris may be spelled with a ch, a K, or even just with a C.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill,  You are right and I usually do that when responding in writing.  It is when I refer to someone in person who's name was read to me by JAWS and I am not familiar with that person by the way that JAWS has pronounced the name, usually a last name.

On 4/7/2022 3:05 PM, Bill White wrote:

[...]

Marty

(1) First, you can always check the spelling of a name or word both by
letter and phonetically.

(2) Just because you have the spelling of a name, you won't necessarily
pronounce it correctly.

Bill White

Hi, Mike. No, having the spelling of a word or name won't guarantee that you
will get the correct pronunciation correctly, but JAWS butchers the
pronunciation of names which, if looked at as transcribed, are sometimes
easier to recognize. When spoken by JAWS, though, it may sound like a
different name altogether.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...