From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of tom x
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 2:02 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: change password from stars

Using: latest Jaws and W10 64 bit.

Can someone please inform me how to have Jaws say each character as a password is being typed rather than star, star etc.

It would be great if a default setting could be changed so all browsers would function in this way but if each browser's settings had to be changed then so be it.

On my home computer, this will not be a security problem.

Thanks

Tom

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Ann Byrne

NVDA has an add-on to do this.

At 03:42 PM 7/19/2021, you wrote:
I heard someone ask this question on a recent FS Open Line and I thought Eric said this is not an option. Just like a sighted user doesn't have the option to type and see what they type, so too is the case when JAWS reads it out. Now, Eric noted and I've seen that many websites now give you an option just after the password box to display the password as you type, but this is a website option, not a browser or JAWS setting. One suggestion was to type your password in Notepad, then cut and paste it into the browser, if you really need to hear each character spoken.

Can someone please inform me how to have Jaws say each character as a password is being typed rather than star, star etc.

It would be great if a default setting could be changed so all browsers would function in this way but if each browser's settings had to be changed then so be it.

On my home computer, this will not be a security problem.

Thanks

Tom

KeyCorp Public

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.â€&#65533;). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 04:42 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
One suggestion was to type your password in Notepad, then cut and paste it into the browser, if you really need to hear each character spoken.
-
Or use a password manager.

I was on the losing side of a philosophical battle royal about this very thing with regard to NVDA.  They do now have an add-on (script equivalent) that announces password characters as you type.  This violates every single principle of security that exists.

I use a password manager just in case I should forget what I created using The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords, for the odd occasion of a very seldom used site where I forget what I used for the website specific element in the portmanteau password.  But, ideally, you should be able to recall a password.  And if typing is problematic, it makes much more sense to use a password manager for storage and copy/paste the password out of it.

    ~ William Plomer

tom x

Thanks to those who answered my query regarding having Jaws speak the characters as a password is typed.

Cheers

Tom