moderated change password from stars

tom x

Hi,

Using: latest Jaws and W10 64 bit.

Can someone please inform me how to have Jaws say each character as a password is being typed rather than star, star etc.

It would be great if a default setting could be changed so all browsers would function in this way but if each browser's settings had to be changed then so be it.

On my home computer, this will not be a security problem.

Thanks

Tom

Van Lant, Robin

I heard someone ask this question on a recent FS Open Line and I thought Eric said this is not an option. Just like a sighted user doesn't have the option to type and see what they type, so too is the case when JAWS reads it out. Now, Eric noted and I've seen that many websites now give you an option just after the password box to display the password as you type, but this is a website option, not a browser or JAWS setting. One suggestion was to type your password in Notepad, then cut and paste it into the browser, if you really need to hear each character spoken.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of tom x
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 2:02 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: change password from stars

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

Hi,

Can someone please inform me how to have Jaws say each character as a password is being typed rather than star, star etc.

It would be great if a default setting could be changed so all browsers would function in this way but if each browser's settings had to be changed then so be it.

Thanks

Tom

KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Ann Byrne

NVDA has an add-on to do this.

At 03:42 PM 7/19/2021, you wrote:
I heard someone ask this question on a recent FS Open Line and I thought Eric said this is not an option. Just like a sighted user doesn't have the option to type and see what they type, so too is the case when JAWS reads it out. Now, Eric noted and I've seen that many websites now give you an option just after the password box to display the password as you type, but this is a website option, not a browser or JAWS setting. One suggestion was to type your password in Notepad, then cut and paste it into the browser, if you really need to hear each character spoken.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of tom x
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 2:02 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: change password from stars

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

Hi,

Thanks

Tom

KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.â€&#65533;). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 04:42 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
One suggestion was to type your password in Notepad, then cut and paste it into the browser, if you really need to hear each character spoken.
-
Or use a password manager.

I was on the losing side of a philosophical battle royal about this very thing with regard to NVDA.  They do now have an add-on (script equivalent) that announces password characters as you type.  This violates every single principle of security that exists.

I use a password manager just in case I should forget what I created using The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords, for the odd occasion of a very seldom used site where I forget what I used for the website specific element in the portmanteau password.  But, ideally, you should be able to recall a password.  And if typing is problematic, it makes much more sense to use a password manager for storage and copy/paste the password out of it. 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

tom x

Thanks to those who answered my query regarding having Jaws speak the characters as a password is typed.

Cheers

Tom