Topics

moderated Census survey

John Doering

Hello:

Has anyone completed the 2020 census on line at my2020census.gov?

At the top, it asks screen reader users to use the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAWS.  I wonder how secure IE is now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

John,

         The following is not aimed at you, but at my frustration with this situation and the IDIOT who wrote that message text that's getting read.

Now Here This:  You do NOT need to use IE to complete the U.S. Census online.  I completed it in Brave and know of folks who've done so in Chrome, Firefox, Edge original, and new Chromium-based edge.

This is a case where some incompetent didn't even think twice about what they were writing.  Microsoft has been strongly recommending that users abandon IE for years now.  To wit:

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler        (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...            (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Sandra Streeter

I used Waterfox with JAWS 2019; no problems.

Sandra

The Truth must dazzle gradually

Or every man be blind —

(Emily Dickinson)

At the top, it asks screen reader users to use the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAWS.  I wonder how secure IE is now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Betsy Binney

Hi John,

I did it last night and yes you must use IE. I am still using IE11 for my primary browser. From what I have read it is still secure for now.

Give Auggie  hu from me.

Betsy R. Binney
meandbastet@...

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Betsy Binney wrote:
I did it last night and yes you must use IE.
No, that is absolutely untrue, as has already been stated.  Please do not distribute misinformation.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

John Doering

Brian:

That is exactly why I questioned it and thanks for the answer.

Another quick question about the survey.

Do you need social security numbers from persons living in your residence or any other info I may need to gather before trying to  complete the survey?

[...]

Only the ID info on the letter you should receive, if you haven’t already.

[...]

Thanks so  much.

Regards,

[...]

Loy

No, just Birthdays. race and sex.

[...]

Don H

I very easily completed the census on line using Google Chrome and NVDA.

On 3/20/2020 1:09 PM, Betsy Binney wrote:
[...]

Gerald Levy

I was able to complete the census questionnaire online using Google Chrome with JAWS 2019 and Windows 7.  In order to access the questionnaire site, you must log in using the 12 character alphanumeric ID code that is printed on the notification you received in the mail.  A few members of another list reported trouble completing the questionnaire online using IE.  If you experience trouble completing the questionnaire online, call 844-330-2020 and explain that you are blind and would like to complete the questionnaire over the phone to avoid a visit from a census taker. Just be prepared for long wait times or disconnects because they are probably seriously shorthanded right now due to the national health crisis.  Everything seems to be in a state of confusion because nobody knows what to expect.  It may be difficult to impossible for the census bureau to obtainan accurate census count under the current circumstances.   Let's all try to stay safe and healthy.

Gerald

On 3/20/2020 2:01 PM, John Doering wrote:

Hello:

Has anyone completed the 2020 census on line at my2020census.gov?

At the top, it asks screen reader users to use the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAWS.  I wonder how secure IE is now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

netbat66

i had no problem useing firefox.

I did it last night and yes you must use IE. I am still using IE11 for my primary browser. From what I have read it is still secure for now.

Give Auggie hu from me.

Betsy R. Binney
meandbastet@...

On Mar 20, 2020, at 1:01 PM, John Doering <John.Doering@...> wrote:

Hello:

Has anyone completed the 2020 census on line at my2020census.gov?

At the top, it asks screen reader users to use the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAWS. I wonder how secure IE is now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Judy

That is interesting as to my knowledge IE 11 was the last update, then going to Edge. They are behind the times for sure. Judy

At the top, it asks screen reader users to use the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAWS.  I wonder how secure IE is now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Marty Hutchings

I just completed this with Google Chrome and it worked perfectly.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

That is interesting as to my knowledge IE 11 was the last update, then going to Edge. They are behind the times for sure. Judy

At the top, it asks screen reader users to use the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAWS.  I wonder how secure IE is now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

kitty hevener <khevener@...>

I did see the note where they recommended that jaws users use ie.  However, I was successfully doing mine on chrome till I entered the wrong id and got locked out.  Smile!!

That is interesting as to my knowledge IE 11 was the last update, then going to Edge. They are behind the times for sure. Judy

At the top, it asks screen reader users to use the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAWS.  I wonder how secure IE is now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Jason White

It also works with Safari on the Mac. I expect it’s designed to conform to Web standards and therefore works everywhere.