Topics

moderated CD ripping software suggestions?

fenderwal@...

        Hi, All.

I don't know if I'm one of only a few who can no longer get Windows Media Player to add media information to CDs I want to rip. Research into how WMP does it and why mine no longer does it has so far failed. Might be that Microsoft no longer supports access to a music database. Anyway, I had started using Gold Wave, which is JAWS compatible. Well.... Gold Wave suddenly quit working about 2 weeks ago, with an error message informing me that my firewall may be blocking Gold Wave.

I turned off Windows Firewall--I don't know how it got turned on in the first place--but Gold Wave still cannot access the music database.

Meanwhile, I have a stack of new CDs I'd like to rip, and I'd like to have the media information rather than Track 1, Track 2, etcetera. Sorry for being long winded. My question is, can you recommend a reliably JFW accessible CD ripper I can use until I figure out what's wrong with Gold Wave? Or, can you direct me to a user group where I can tap into the experience of users who can help me solve my technical difficulty?

Thanks for your time,
Lou N.

Jacob

Firewall is turned on by default and it might be a good idea to leave it like that. Add exceptions to the firewall instead of turning it off. I use CDex

https://cdex.mu/download

Only bad thing I can say about CDex is that I can't use the keyboard to deselect the crapware that'll be installed by default. It's programs like Avast, toolbars etc. If you don't have some one around or on remote who can deselect by using the mouse then you can download the portable version that doesn't need installation.

OZ0TE Jacob

Den 2020-06-21 kl. 17:07 skrev fenderwal@...:

[...]

Richard Turner

Are you ripping them to your computer to use with an application on the computer?
There is a Goldwave forum on his web site, or you could use the support form and write the developer.
He is usually quite responsive.
I use AnyBurn to copy CD'S or burn CDs from files, but I do not recall if it can rip to mp3, wave, whatever on your computer.
Its free, and if I have time later, I'll check if it does that.

Richard

On Jun 21, 2020, at 8:07 AM, "fenderwal@..." <fenderwal@...> wrote:

[...]

Someone was just saying that that program couldn't access the database any longer.
And yes, you should leave the firewall on, I forgot to mention that in my previous reply.

Richard

On Jun 21, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Jacob <dx@...> wrote:

[...]

AnyBurn does rip to MP3, etc.

They just had an update on May 20th.

Here is the link.

http://www.anyburn.com/

Richard

[...]

I have the occasional "burp" in terms of Windows Media Player not being able to access the media database, but it's only occasional.  We're still ripping away in my household with Windows Media Player and it's still snagging media information.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

AnyBurn is so easy with screen readers that anyone using any screen reader ought to check it out.

Yes, Windows Media Player will do it, but it is not the most screen reader friendly software out there.

Richard

I have the occasional "burp" in terms of Windows Media Player not being able to access the media database, but it's only occasional.  We're still ripping away in my household with Windows Media Player and it's still snagging media information.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

fenderwal@...

Hey, Richard! Been a while!

I don't need Windows Firewall because my router has a built-in firewall.

Thanks,
Lou N.