moderated capsha

Ryan McManomy

Hi all is there anything out there for capsha?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

AVG logo

www.avg.com

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 01:10 PM, Ryan McManomy wrote:
Hi all is there anything out there for capsha?
-
The use of Captcha as though it is one thing is not representative.  It's a function that has multiple implementations.

An example of a website on which you're having an issue with a Captcha is the only real way to know what is actually being dealt with.  There is no "one size fits all" method for dealing with Captchas, and hasn't been for quite a while.

           ~ André Gide

Milton Ota

Hello,

The last that I know, there is nothing accessible. One would have to use either Be My Eyes with a smart phone or Aira.

Milton Ota

ICAN Island Computer Access Now

4273 Coventry Dr., S.

Unit E

Fargo, ND 58104-4498

Ph: (701) 731-0511

Email: mota1252@...

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

there's also be specularWhich is like which is like be my eyes. One gives you a real person and one you send a picture and you get a response I haven't used them for a while so I don't remember which is which.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 24, 2021, at 10:35 AM, Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:

Hello,

The last that I know, there is nothing accessible. One would have to use either Be My Eyes with a smart phone or Aira.

Milton Ota

ICAN Island Computer Access Now

4273 Coventry Dr., S.

Unit E

Fargo, ND 58104-4498

Ph: (701) 731-0511

Email: mota1252@...

John Covici

A lot of captchas use the google library and if you are signed with
gmail, you can just check a checkbox which says I am not a robot, but
not everyone uses that.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 13:34:23 -0400,
Milton Ota wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
Hello,

The last that I know, there is nothing accessible. One would have to use
either Be My Eyes with a smart phone or Aira.

Milton Ota

ICAN Island Computer Access Now

4273 Coventry Dr., S.

Unit E

Fargo, ND 58104-4498

Ph: (701) 731-0511

Email: <mailto:mota1252@gmail.com> mota1252@gmail.com

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 02:31 PM, John Covici wrote:
A lot of captchas use the google library
-
And a lot have audio challenges and other options to make them accessible if they are visually based.

This isn't a criticism of your observation, just mine adding to the earlier one that it is captchas, plural, and that a great many have accessibility built in if you look for it.  Some don't, I'll admit, but the time of the, "type in the characters in this picture" captcha as the captcha method is long past.

           ~ André Gide

Jim Weiss

CAPTCHA Be Gone was created with the blind community in mind.  This is not a free service, but works with all major browsers and screen readers.

Jim Weiss

On Apr 24, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 01:10 PM, Ryan McManomy wrote:
Hi all is there anything out there for capsha?
-
The use of Captcha as though it is one thing is not representative.  It's a function that has multiple implementations.

An example of a website on which you're having an issue with a Captcha is the only real way to know what is actually being dealt with.  There is no "one size fits all" method for dealing with Captchas, and hasn't been for quite a while.

           ~ André Gide

Gerald Levy

Unfortunately, Captcha Be Gone was a scam and although their web site may still be around, the service itself, which apparently never worked,  is long gone, and if you dsign up and shell out the $30 or whatever they charge, you will never see that money again because there is no way to get a refund.

Gerald

On 4/24/2021 2:45 PM, Jim Weiss via groups.io wrote:
CAPTCHA Be Gone was created with the blind community in mind.  This is not a free service, but works with all major browsers and screen readers.

Jim Weiss

On Apr 24, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 01:10 PM, Ryan McManomy wrote:
Hi all is there anything out there for capsha?
-
The use of Captcha as though it is one thing is not representative.  It's a function that has multiple implementations.

An example of a website on which you're having an issue with a Captcha is the only real way to know what is actually being dealt with.  There is no "one size fits all" method for dealing with Captchas, and hasn't been for quite a while.

           ~ André Gide

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 02:45 PM, Jim Weiss wrote:
CAPTCHA Be Gone
-
I wonder if this was a spin off of Rumola, which had a similar pricing structure, but that appears to be defunct at this time?

I have to say that I'm impressed with their website and how they explain captchas, which acknowledges their legitimate security purpose, and doesn't treat them like a deliberate attempt to make things inaccessible.

But I wonder how it works with ReCaptchas, the style that you check if you're not a robot.  It may not have to, though, as those were designed with the intent of being accessible.  I haven't had a screen reader on recently when I've been on a page that uses one of those.

           ~ André Gide

Jim Weiss

Then you should tell this to Blind Bargains as they recommend this product and even featured it on a podcast.

Jim Weiss

On Apr 24, 2021, at 2:56 PM, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

[...]

no that's not true. Try getting any tech-support from Behringer you have to register first. And their capture is totally in accessible there was absolutely no way for a blind person to do it. And Behringer a huge global company with dozens of sub companies is the one that has inaccessible captures along with many others. and most of the so-called accessible captions that have audio or some other way of doing it are very hard to understand it's very frustrating then anybody that has to actually do it on a regular basis knows this. And wouldn't ever make that statement.

Randy Barnett

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 03:08 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
And their capture is totally in accessible there was absolutely no way for a blind person to do it.
-
Randy, it would be really helpful if you actually bothered to read what I wrote, and respond to that, rather than doing what you do.

I said, and I quote, "a lot have audio challenges and other options to make them accessible if they are visually based."  That doesn't say or imply all.

And, by the way, even with mild high frequency hearing loss I am, without looking at the screen (which is what you so often demand), able to solve the vast majority of audio challenges.  I have to deal with more background noise and garbling in real life than these things generally present.  There is the occasional one that's awful, and when that's the case I suggest activating the control that gives you an alternative challenge.  That's something else that most captchas have had as an option for many years now, too.

There is no perfect system, and since computers cannot easily produce any sensory output other than auditory or visual, with a tiny bit of tactile/haptic thrown in, I imagine that security challenges will remain primarily visual and/or auditory.

           ~ André Gide

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 03:08 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
Behringer you have to register first. And their capture is totally in accessible there was absolutely no way for a blind person to do it.
-
By the way, you should scream bloody murder at them over this.  They actually use BotDetect CAPTCHA, which follows accessibility practices outlined by WCAG and Section 508, but Behringer has elected to omit the button to speak/announce the CAPTCHA text.  If you (or anyone) wants to play with BotDetect CAPTCHAs then go to the BotDetect CAPTCHA Demo Page, which does include both the Change the CAPTCHA Code and Speak the CAPTCHA Code buttons.  These are built-in features that, from all appearances, Behringer (or I should say community.musictribe.com, since that's the actual site Behringer is using for their account registry) has intentionally removed that button from the CAPTCHA.

I sometimes have to change the captcha code if there are several sound-alike letters right in a row in a given code, but when there are not I can get the code on the first (usually) or second listening, depending on the length of the CAPTCHA itself, without having seen those characters.  It also depends on exactly which Sound Style is being used, too.  To listen to those, go to the BotDetect Accessibility Demand for Audio CAPTCHA page, and search for the link entitled, Dispatch.  It's the first sound style in a series of 12, and some of them are much easier for me to understand than others are (which I'm sure is the general idea).  When I change the CAPTCHA code on the demo page it generally has a different sound style than the last one did, but not absolutely always.

           ~ André Gide

Justin Williams

Your messages are not appearing at the top of your messages.

The date is coming up first.

Thanks,

Justin

[...]

Whoops, didn't include the hyperlink for the BotDetect CAPTCHA Demo Page.  So there it is.

           ~ André Gide

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 04:49 PM, Justin Williams wrote:
Your messages are not appearing at the top of your messages.
-
And that's by intent.  In a long topic or one where multiple participants are engaged, it is impossible to know exactly who or what is being replied to without a snippet retained from the message being replied to, like here.

It's common practice to do so, I know that some don't like it, but I have no intention of changing that practice, as many do.  The auto-quoting mechanism in most places, including Groups.io, gives you a line with the date time-stamp of the quoted message as well as the sender's identity.

           ~ André Gide

Justin Williams

Oh, Didn't know.

I'll have to investigate that more.

Had no idea.

Thanks,

Justin

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 04:49 PM, Justin Williams wrote:

Your messages are not appearing at the top of your messages.

-
And that's by intent.  In a long topic or one where multiple participants are engaged, it is impossible to know exactly who or what is being replied to without a snippet retained from the message being replied to, like here.

It's common practice to do so, I know that some don't like it, but I have no intention of changing that practice, as many do.  The auto-quoting mechanism in most places, including Groups.io, gives you a line with the date time-stamp of the quoted message as well as the sender's identity.

           ~ André Gide

Madison Martin

The captchas that I really hate are the ones that have the codes that you have to type in as Jaws doesn’t read them, is there a way I can get this to happen? Most of the time these don’t seem to have an audio challenge and if there is one then it’s really hard to understand, the voice I mean. I like it way  better when it’s words that you have to type.