From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Pietruk
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 5:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Cannot use "my Desktop"

When I press the combo win+m, Jaws says "Desktop" as you would expect.
However, none of the items show up; and if I press the associated letter or
number of a given shortcut, nothing happens.

When I go to

c:\users

all of the shortcuts show up in the desktop folders; and when I hit enter on
any item, the intended action occurs.

So, I'm guessing is that I somehow messed up a setting eliminating the
functionality of the desktop.

Anyone with an idea as to how to restore desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Christiansen

Did you turn on tablet mode?

What version of Windows are you running? Windows 10 or 11?

When I press the combo win+m, Jaws says "Desktop" as you would expect.
However, none of the items show up; and if I press the associated letter or
number of a given shortcut, nothing happens.

When I go to

c:\users

all of the shortcuts show up in the desktop folders; and when I hit enter on
any item, the intended action occurs.

So, I'm guessing is that I somehow messed up a setting eliminating the
functionality of the desktop.

Anyone with an idea as to how to restore desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Bill White

Hi, Mike. If Desktop Seems To Be Missing

1. Make Sure Show Desktop Icons is checked in the View Menu,
A. unselect everything on the desktop.
B. Press Applications key and press ENTER on View Menu.
C. Arrow down to Show Desktop Icons, and if it doesn't say Checked, press
ENTER to check this option.
2. Make sure Show Desktop is pressed. You'll know if it isn't, because if
Show Desktop Icons isn't checked in the View Menu, the desktop won't show up
at all.
3. Make sure Tablet Mode is not checked in Action Center.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

When I press the combo win+m, Jaws says "Desktop" as you would expect.
However, none of the items show up; and if I press the associated letter
or number of a given shortcut, nothing happens.

When I go to

c:\users

all of the shortcuts show up in the desktop folders; and when I hit enter
on any item, the intended action occurs.

So, I'm guessing is that I somehow messed up a setting eliminating the
functionality of the desktop.

Anyone with an idea as to how to restore desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Pietruk

Win 10.

And the issue appears not only with JFW2022 plus 2021 and 2020 along with
Narrator and even an old version of the venerable Window-Eyes.

On Tue, 31 May 2022, Milton Ota wrote:

What version of Windows are you running? Windows 10 or 11?

When I press the combo win+m, Jaws says "Desktop" as you would expect.
However, none of the items show up; and if I press the associated letter or
number of a given shortcut, nothing happens.

When I go to

c:\users

all of the shortcuts show up in the desktop folders; and when I hit enter on
any item, the intended action occurs.

So, I'm guessing is that I somehow messed up a setting eliminating the
functionality of the desktop.

Anyone with an idea as to how to restore desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Pietruk

Jeff

No idea is I did or did not turn Tablet mode.
So, how do I check?

Mike Pietruk

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.

Bill, your number 1 was my problem. A simple toggle straightened
everything out.

Thanks to all and particularly to Bill for hitting upon the culprit
isssue.
Figured it had to be something simple; and it was.

On Tue, 31 May 2022, Bill White wrote:

[...]

Loy

Sounds like you have the option to show desktop icons unchecked in the view
menu of the desktop. Do the windows M then do control spacebar it should say
none selected. Then use the context key and arrow up or down to view hit
enter and check the option to show desktop.

When I press the combo win+m, Jaws says "Desktop" as you would expect.
However, none of the items show up; and if I press the associated letter
or
number of a given shortcut, nothing happens.

When I go to

c:\users

all of the shortcuts show up in the desktop folders; and when I hit enter
on
any item, the intended action occurs.

So, I'm guessing is that I somehow messed up a setting eliminating the
functionality of the desktop.

Anyone with an idea as to how to restore desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Ann Byrne

While on the desktop, press ctrl-space to make sure nothing is selected.
Then open the applications menu and go to the view submenu. It says 'large
icons, small icons" and some other things. Keep arrowing till it says "show
desktop icons". This is a checkbox and should be checked.
Good luck!