moderated Canada now has the home annual license

Richard Turner

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Cynthia Bruce

Fantastic!

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Mich Verrier

Well yes it is a good thing it is still not the 99 price  that you get in the US it is over 100 or 200 I think. So it is good that we have it but it is  still pricier then those of you have in the US. From Mich Verrier from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

David Csercsics

Yes,I am glad for this! I subscribed this month when another podcast informed me about this. I love the braille support, but I’m still trying to figure out how to get the most of all these features. I had no idea there was so much here. I have several questions, so you may get future posts. It was a little fi.ly getting the subscription, because you click on the link to find a dealer, then that takes you to Optelec and tonight when you get there, you select the home annual license, which directs you back to the FS estore but for Canada. You do need a credit card, though. But otherwise it was quick and easy.

Yes, I think it's already been in place since July.

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Tyler Wood

Hi,
Do keep in mind that since we are in Canada, exchange rate plays a huge part.
Regardless, it's still far cheaper than paying for an all out license and there is something to be said for that.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:42 AM Mich Verrier <michv@...> wrote:

Well yes it is a good thing it is still not the 99 price  that you get in the US it is over 100 or 200 I think. So it is good that we have it but it is  still pricier then those of you have in the US. From Mich Verrier from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Hi Mich,

It is 95 USD/year which as far as I know is the same as what it costs in the United States. For Canada you go to the same Vispero website to buy and manage your Jaws annual license and of course there is that thing called exchange rate so on your credit card the 95 USD will be converted to Canadian Dollars at whatever the current exchange rate is. Right now that would be probably around $1.30 or $1.32 so at $1.30 the $95 would convert to $123.50 Canadian or $125.40 if it's $1.32.

This is one example where for once Canadians are paying exactly the same as Americans, if Vispero had set this up to be billed in Canadian they probably would have had to charge a bit more to account for fluctuations in the exchange rate and the cost of collecting the funds in Canadian Dollars which as a United States based business they would then have to convert back to US Dollars and all that comes with a cost both monetary and administrative.

I am also pretty sure that the SMA when they sold it here in Canadian Dollars was more than the approx. $245 or $255 you would currently pay for 2 years of annual licensing. Another good thing for Vispero and in my opinion for the user is the fact that once you are on the annual licensing plan you do have to keep it up or Jaws won't work and this will get rid of people who buy Jaws and then never upgrade and next thing you have all these users who want technical support, but they have a version of Jaws which is 3, 4 or maybe 5 years behind and may not even fully support your current OS and software. At the current exchange rate the annual Jaws license costs you around $10 or $10.50 a month Canadian and this really is not so much to ask, many of us pay that much for a music subscription and if it really came down to whether I spend $10 a month on a music subscription or a Jaws subscription I would choose Jaws because I need Jaws for everything I do on the computer and I don't strictly need the music subscription especially nowadays where there are Millions of songs available for free through Tune In and other services.

Well yes it is a good thing it is still not the 99 price  that you get in the US it is over 100 or 200 I think. So it is good that we have it but it is  still pricier then those of you have in the US. From Mich Verrier from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Madison Martin

Grate, can someone please provide the link to the website so that us Canadians can learn more about this? I know I could search for it, but I assume whenever I look at Visperro it’s the US site that comes up.

[...]

Interesting, Vispero only got around to mentioning it in the FS Cast released today in response to someone’s question who had heard about it on a different podcast.

Makes one wonder whose running the marketing department at Vispero…

I only mentioned it because I kept seeing people asking about, (or complaining about,) it only being available in the United States.

Later,

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Yes, I think it's already been in place since July.

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

JM Casey

Left hand and right hand not operating together. Not uncommon.

People have been complaining about not having this for years. I guess this indeed is a good thing. perhaps I’ll actually go ahead and get a more recent JFW version, now.

Yes, I think it's already been in place since July.

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Richard Turner

For those who wanted a link to the place to purchase in Canada, you are saying to start with the Find a dealer link on the FS site, and it will direct you to Optelec which will take you back to FS to enter the credit card info, right?

I’m not in Canada, just trying to help clarify the info for folks.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Yes,I am glad for this! I subscribed this month when another podcast informed me about this. I love the braille support, but I’m still trying to figure out how to get the most of all these features. I had no idea there was so much here. I have several questions, so you may get future posts. It was a little fi.ly getting the subscription, because you click on the link to find a dealer, then that takes you to Optelec and tonight when you get there, you select the home annual license, which directs you back to the FS estore but for Canada. You do need a credit card, though. But otherwise it was quick and easy.

JM Casey

That makes sense. Previously if we went to that page and entered any info that showed we were not in the United States, there was simply a message to contact a local dealer.

Yes,I am glad for this! I subscribed this month when another podcast informed me about this. I love the braille support, but I’m still trying to figure out how to get the most of all these features. I had no idea there was so much here. I have several questions, so you may get future posts. It was a little fi.ly getting the subscription, because you click on the link to find a dealer, then that takes you to Optelec and tonight when you get there, you select the home annual license, which directs you back to the FS estore but for Canada. You do need a credit card, though. But otherwise it was quick and easy.

If you Google "Jaws Annual License Canada" one of the first to come up is "Software for Home Canada Optelek" and that is where you can read about it, but as soon as you click the "Get a License" you are anyways redirected to Vispero's site where you have to purchase and manage your license.

[...]

David & his pack of dogs

I paid for a 2 year SMA I believe around the end of 2020 and it cost me $160. That gives me the 021 and 022 updates. My SMA ran out in Oct. of 020

[...]

To late for me of course but do you purchase it via Visparo or through Optelek?  As in visparo sends it to Optelek. Never dealt with Optelek because we have a distributer in Western Canada which I directed someone too because the previous agencies customer service was abysmal.

[...]

Optilect sends you back to Vispero

[...]

I suggest reading the details on the home license for what happens when it runs out.

Eric Damery pointed out in FS Cast 203 I think it was, that if you already have the SMA you may be better off to maintain it than switch to the home license.

It is less money over time.

[...]

David Diamond

Eric Damery pointed out in FS Cast 203 I think it was, that if you already have the SMA you may be better off to maintain it than switch to the home license.  Exactly.  Maybe I’m missing something however, why would someone purchase a annual license when purchasing the SMA is cheaper in the long run?

It is less money over time.

[...]

Because if somebody is 3 or 4 versions behind or they never owned Jaws they don't have to pay hundreds of Dollars up front to catch up or to buy the Jaws to begin with. How much is Jaws Home, I think $800 or $900 USD? This means if somebody bought Jaws and an SMA they would already pay probably around $1,000 or a bit more, they could buy Jaws annual licenses for 10 years before they reach that and who knows what is in 10 years. Nobody says you have to buy an annual license if you have kept up to date with your SMA's, but if you are still on Jaws 2016 or Jaws 18 then just continuing to pay $95 US a year may not be such a bad option and even if the SMA still is $160 Canadian and it lasts you for 2 years/2 major releases, then you are paying $80 a year which is $6.66 a month, if you are paying $95 US a year and that currently translates to around $125 Canadian then you are paying $10.41 a month which is a difference of $3.75 a months more. Add to that the fact that you may be able to get a 15% or 20% discount during convention time on the annual license then the difference is only maybe a buck fifty a month. Lastly, some people just do better if they know they have to pay $95 US a year in order to keep access to Jaws whereas if they buy an SMA they may think it's OK not to maintain it and next thing they are a couple of years behind and especially nowadays it just doesn't pay to fall behind.

[...]

Bill White

Hi, David. I agree with what Sieghard Weitzel says about this in a later post. Not only that, some users buy the annual license for the same reason that people use a credit card to buy something: they just don't have the full price for the SMA now, but they might have the $95 to buy the annual subscription.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...