moderated can't rename folder in Outlook 2016

Mario

I'm trying to help an acquaintance where he wants to rename a folder, but cannot seem to do so. he has tried pressing F2 when he goes to the existing folder, but nothing happens. I have found a Youtube video that implied clicking on the file menu and then rename, but it doesn't work for him. what else can he do?

Adrian Spratt

F2 works for me if I want to change the name of an Outlook 2016 folder. I wonder if it matters how you get there. I go from a message list to the folders list with shift-F6. Once in that list, I use first-letter navigation to locate the folder name. From there, F2 works as expected.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 5:09 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: can't rename folder in Outlook 2016

I'm trying to help an acquaintance where he wants to rename a folder, but cannot seem to do so. he has tried pressing F2 when he goes to the existing folder, but nothing happens. I have found a Youtube video that implied clicking on the file menu and then rename, but it doesn't work for him. what else can he do?

Jim Pursley

Open the folder. When JAWS speaks the name of an email inside the folder press F6 until you come to a "tree" until you come to a mail tree. Hit the application kee and arrow down to rename. Press enter and make the change.

Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 6:09 PM

Mario

I instructed him to press f6 a few times until he arrived at the folder he wants to change, and then pressed f2, typed the new name, and pressed enter. but now he has two folders with the same emails in them. I told him to call MS Accessibility Help Desk tomorrow to see if they can help.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sunday, June 27, 2021, 7:08 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Open the folder. When JAWS speaks the name of an email inside the folder press F6 until you come to a "tree" until you come to a mail tree. Hit the application kee and arrow down to rename. Press enter and make the change.

Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 6:09 PM

Mario

he tried as you instructed, but nothing happened. see Jim's post.

Date: Sunday, June 27, 2021, 6:07 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
F2 works for me if I want to change the name of an Outlook 2016 folder. I wonder if it matters how you get there. I go from a message list to the folders list with shift-F6. Once in that list, I use first-letter navigation to locate the folder name. From there, F2 works as expected.

Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 5:09 PM

Phillip Gross

I am wondering, is it a folder or a Data File he wants to change the name of? If it's a data file, the group of folders that contains the data for an entire email address, the actions are a little bit different. In that case you'll have to go to account settings for that email address, and you can change the name there. 

This may not be this person's problem, and, if not, I'm sorry. I've actually had someone come to me with the same problem while calling it a folder before, so I thought I would throw it out there.

Mario

it's actually a folder that he keeps certain emails in.

thinking about it, I wonder if there is a shortcut to rename a folder instead of using the f2 key or the context menu? anybody know?

Date: Monday, June 28, 2021, 1:15 PM
I am wondering, is it a folder or a Data File he wants to change the
name of? If it's a data file, the group of folders that contains the
data for an entire email address, the actions are a little bit
different. In that case you'll have to go to account settings for that
email address, and you can change the name there.

This may not be this person's problem, and, if not, I'm sorry. I've
actually had someone come to me with the same problem while calling it a
folder before, so I thought I would throw it out there.

Rick Mladek

Highlight the folder and then hit shift +F10 and then arrow up until you hear rename. Hit enter. Type in the name you want and hit enter. The new name will appear.

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: can't rename folder in Outlook 2016

it's actually a folder that he keeps certain emails in.

thinking about it, I wonder if there is a shortcut to rename a folder instead of using the f2 key or the context menu? anybody know?

Date: Monday, June 28, 2021, 1:15 PM
I am wondering, is it a folder or a Data File he wants to change the name of? If it's a data file, the group of folders that contains the data for an entire email address, the actions are a little bit different. In that case you'll have to go to account settings for that email address, and you can change the name there.

This may not be this person's problem, and, if not, I'm sorry. I've actually had someone come to me with the same problem while calling it a folder before, so I thought I would throw it out there.