Topics

moderated Can JAWS Aid you in Copying?


Rick Miller
 

Dear Listers:

 

I have just recently purchased a Brother printer.  One feature it has which I like is a Copy feature.  Yesterday I was intending to make a copy of something to send to my sister-in-law.  I thought that all you had to do was put the paper you wanted to copy on the scanner which is part of the printer and then hit the Copy button and the copy would then be made onto a sheet of paper you have in your tray.  When I pressed the Copy button, nothing happened, so I was wondering if JAWS could aid me in this process.

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 


 

It may be able to, at least indirectly.    A more direct approach would be getting sighted assistance to look at what the printer display (I'm presuming it has one) might be saying, whether that assistance is "in the flesh" or via Be My Eyes or Aira.

Does the machine make any sort of noise whatsoever when you hit the copy key?  They can be set up to scan/copy to the computer, resulting in a file rather than print copy.

If it's not making any noise, you're probably going to have to find out what the status is on its display before you can move forward.  If it is making noise, you may be able to use JAWS with the configuration software to switch it from doing "to computer" copy/scan to doing "to print."

Also, most of these machines have a copy button, which really should typically produce a hard copy, and a scan button.  If you're hearing activity, you may have activated the scan button rather than copy.  I can't really know how this machine is set up without a model number to go on.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss


Chris Hill
 

Nope.  It is all done inside the printer.  I just use k1000's copy feature when I need to copy, and it is done on the computer, instead.  The reason nothing happened on your printer is that it probably needed more information such as whether you needed to reduce or enlarge, and that would be done on the printer's screen.



On 8/8/2020 10:47, Rick Miller wrote:

Dear Listers:

 

I have just recently purchased a Brother printer.  One feature it has which I like is a Copy feature.  Yesterday I was intending to make a copy of something to send to my sister-in-law.  I thought that all you had to do was put the paper you wanted to copy on the scanner which is part of the printer and then hit the Copy button and the copy would then be made onto a sheet of paper you have in your tray.  When I pressed the Copy button, nothing happened, so I was wondering if JAWS could aid me in this process.

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 


Rick Miller
 

Do you know how to insert an envelope into the Brother printer?  I thought all you needed to do was take the paper out of the paper tray, put the envelope in, adjust the guides around the envelope, put the paper tray into the computer and then just print.  I have tried this, but it is not working.  Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2020 9:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can JAWS Aid you in Copying?

 

Nope.  It is all done inside the printer.  I just use k1000's copy feature when I need to copy, and it is done on the computer, instead.  The reason nothing happened on your printer is that it probably needed more information such as whether you needed to reduce or enlarge, and that would be done on the printer's screen.

 

 

On 8/8/2020 10:47, Rick Miller wrote:

Dear Listers:

 

I have just recently purchased a Brother printer.  One feature it has which I like is a Copy feature.  Yesterday I was intending to make a copy of something to send to my sister-in-law.  I thought that all you had to do was put the paper you wanted to copy on the scanner which is part of the printer and then hit the Copy button and the copy would then be made onto a sheet of paper you have in your tray.  When I pressed the Copy button, nothing happened, so I was wondering if JAWS could aid me in this process.

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 


Rick Miller
 

The printer I have is a Brother MFC-J497DW.

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2020 9:08 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can JAWS Aid you in Copying?

 

It may be able to, at least indirectly.    A more direct approach would be getting sighted assistance to look at what the printer display (I'm presuming it has one) might be saying, whether that assistance is "in the flesh" or via Be My Eyes or Aira.

Does the machine make any sort of noise whatsoever when you hit the copy key?  They can be set up to scan/copy to the computer, resulting in a file rather than print copy.

If it's not making any noise, you're probably going to have to find out what the status is on its display before you can move forward.  If it is making noise, you may be able to use JAWS with the configuration software to switch it from doing "to computer" copy/scan to doing "to print."

Also, most of these machines have a copy button, which really should typically produce a hard copy, and a scan button.  If you're hearing activity, you may have activated the scan button rather than copy.  I can't really know how this machine is set up without a model number to go on.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss


Jim Weiss
 

Typically you need to use the bypass tray for envelope printing.  There is usually a visual interpretation printed on the bypass tray to direct you on how to place the envelope.  It shows if the flap should be up or down and if the flap should be on the right or left.
Typically you will need some sighted assistance the first time so you can make notes for future reference.
Jim Weiss
National Federation of the Blind of Ohio - Board of Directors
Cuyahoga County Chapter - President







The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.


On Aug 8, 2020, at 7:28 PM, Rick Miller <rm1263@...> wrote:

The printer I have is a Brother MFC-J497DW.
 
 
 
Rick Miller
 
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2020 9:08 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can JAWS Aid you in Copying?
 
It may be able to, at least indirectly.    A more direct approach would be getting sighted assistance to look at what the printer display (I'm presuming it has one) might be saying, whether that assistance is "in the flesh" or via Be My Eyes or Aira.

Does the machine make any sort of noise whatsoever when you hit the copy key?  They can be set up to scan/copy to the computer, resulting in a file rather than print copy.

If it's not making any noise, you're probably going to have to find out what the status is on its display before you can move forward.  If it is making noise, you may be able to use JAWS with the configuration software to switch it from doing "to computer" copy/scan to doing "to print."

Also, most of these machines have a copy button, which really should typically produce a hard copy, and a scan button.  If you're hearing activity, you may have activated the scan button rather than copy.  I can't really know how this machine is set up without a model number to go on.
-- 
Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  
The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. 
       ~ Lawrence Krauss



Chris Hill
 

Not that simple, I expect.  Before you print you may need to check the printer options in the envelope dialog, they may not be set right.  Some printers even have a single sheet feed option that is great for envelopes.


CH





On 8/8/2020 18:21, Rick Miller wrote:

Do you know how to insert an envelope into the Brother printer?  I thought all you needed to do was take the paper out of the paper tray, put the envelope in, adjust the guides around the envelope, put the paper tray into the computer and then just print.  I have tried this, but it is not working.  Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2020 9:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can JAWS Aid you in Copying?

 

Nope.  It is all done inside the printer.  I just use k1000's copy feature when I need to copy, and it is done on the computer, instead.  The reason nothing happened on your printer is that it probably needed more information such as whether you needed to reduce or enlarge, and that would be done on the printer's screen.

 

 

On 8/8/2020 10:47, Rick Miller wrote:

Dear Listers:

 

I have just recently purchased a Brother printer.  One feature it has which I like is a Copy feature.  Yesterday I was intending to make a copy of something to send to my sister-in-law.  I thought that all you had to do was put the paper you wanted to copy on the scanner which is part of the printer and then hit the Copy button and the copy would then be made onto a sheet of paper you have in your tray.  When I pressed the Copy button, nothing happened, so I was wondering if JAWS could aid me in this process.

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 


 

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 10:50 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
Before you print you may need to check the printer options in the envelope dialog, they may not be set right.
My guess is this is the root of the problem.  Most multifunction printer/scanner/fax machines allow you to do single envelopes from the "quick feed" if you so choose, but you can also put them in the main paper tray (and always with print side down if using the main tray) and adjust the edge rails.

But if you don't set your paper type in MS-Word, for instance, to Envelope #10 (I'm presuming a standard business envelope here), the print will hang in most cases because you have an envelope in the machine, but the paper type is most likely set to letter.

I always make my self a blank envelope file that I keep as my permanent template, where I've saved same with the paper type set to envelope.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss


Dan Longmore
 

Hi,

  Let me know your results.  I also have a Brother.  Never tried with envelopes.  Not the fastest one in the bunch but reliable and great ink saver.

 

Dan

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Miller
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2020 7:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can JAWS Aid you in Copying?

 

The printer I have is a Brother MFC-J497DW.

 

 

 

Rick Miller

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2020 9:08 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can JAWS Aid you in Copying?

 

It may be able to, at least indirectly.    A more direct approach would be getting sighted assistance to look at what the printer display (I'm presuming it has one) might be saying, whether that assistance is "in the flesh" or via Be My Eyes or Aira.

Does the machine make any sort of noise whatsoever when you hit the copy key?  They can be set up to scan/copy to the computer, resulting in a file rather than print copy.

If it's not making any noise, you're probably going to have to find out what the status is on its display before you can move forward.  If it is making noise, you may be able to use JAWS with the configuration software to switch it from doing "to computer" copy/scan to doing "to print."

Also, most of these machines have a copy button, which really should typically produce a hard copy, and a scan button.  If you're hearing activity, you may have activated the scan button rather than copy.  I can't really know how this machine is set up without a model number to go on.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss