Topics

moderated Bypassing the log on screen in Windows 10 20-04

Dave Durber

Hello Everyone:

Uptoo, and including Windows 10, 19-09, to disable the log on screen, the simplest way to do that, was to open the dialogue window in the N E T P L W I Z (without the spaces), applet, and uncheck the check box on the option which says: "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. You would enter the password in the 2 following fields, click on the Apply button to accept the change, then click on the OK button, to close the dialog window. After that, whenever you started the computer or, restarted the computer, the computer would bypass the log on screen, and go straight to the desktop.

I have just performed a fresh installation of Windows 10, using the 20-04 version. in the N E T P L W I Z applet, the option, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer", is no longer there. Does anyone on this list, know of another way to disable the log on screen. If they do, will you please give step-by-step instructions.

Thank you in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Chris

Apparently you have to turn off windows hello for this option to be available once again

https://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-removes-user-autologin-in-windows-10-version-2004/

Sent: 22 July 2020 12:27
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Bypassing the log on screen in Windows 10 20-04

Hello Everyone:

Uptoo, and including Windows 10, 19-09, to disable the log on screen, the simplest way to do that, was to open the dialogue window in the N E T P L W I Z (without the spaces), applet, and uncheck the check box on the option which says: "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. You would enter the password in the 2 following fields, click on the Apply button to accept the change, then click on the OK button, to close the dialog window. After that, whenever you started the computer or, restarted the computer, the computer would bypass the log on screen, and go straight to the desktop.

I have just performed a fresh installation of Windows 10, using the 20-04 version. in the N E T P L W I Z applet, the option, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer", is no longer there. Does anyone on this list, know of another way to disable the log on screen. If they do, will you please give step-by-step instructions.

Dave Durber

Patrick Murphy

Hi Dave,

I have a windows 10 del computer. Granted, it is quite old, and doesn’t have the ability to use finger printing face recognition etc.

However, there is only one user account on this machine, and it doesn’t have a password or pin.

When I power it up, it just goes straight to the desktop.

Don’t know if this will help you.

Cheers,

pat

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Wednesday 22 July 2020 12:28

Hello Everyone:

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Hello Chris:

The stupid thing is, if you upgrade to 20-04 in Windows 10 the "users must enter a username and password to use this computer", is still available in the N E T P L W I Z applet.

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: Bypassing the log on screen in Windows 10 20-04

Apparently you have to turn off windows hello for this option to be available once again

https://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-removes-user-autologin-in-windows-10-version-2004/

Hello Everyone:

Dave Durber

Chris

Remove the PIN or fingerprint or face sign in options

Then it should be possible to to use the netplwiz user dialog options to automatically sign in again

Sent: 22 July 2020 13:23

Hello Chris:

The stupid thing is, if you upgrade to 20-04 in Windows 10 the "users must enter a username and password to use this computer", is still available in the N E T P L W I Z applet.

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 12:40 PM

Hello Everyone:

Dave Durber

Randy Barnett

To Turn Off the Password Entry Requirement under Win8 or Win10

Note: Anybody who turns the computer on can get into the desktop screen directly if there is only one account on the computer.  If there is more than one then they can get access to the desktop by selecting any account that has password login turned off.

Please follow the below steps to skip the password entry screen for a specific account:

1.        Open the Run Command box by simultaneously pressing Windows Key and R keys (Windows Key+R). In the Run dialog box, type Netplwiz and then press Enter key.

OR  Open a Command Prompt window and enter the command:  control userpasswords2 and hit Enter.

2.        You will be presented with the User Accounts dialog, select the user account for which you wish to turn off password login and then uncheck the checkbox labeled Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

3.      Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.

4.       On the "Automatically sign in box" confirm your credentials and then click OK. Restart the computer and check.

Steps 3 and 4 are critical.  If you omit them you will not have the password login turned off and everything will remain as it had been.

CAUTION:   If you do the above, and decide to change your password, make sure you follow the instructions above to change it as outlined above before you restart your computer again or you will have effectively locked yourself out, as your automatic sign in will fail because it still has your old password.

On 7/22/2020 4:27 AM, Dave Durber wrote:
Hello Everyone:

Dave Durber