Topics

moderated Braille displays that work well with JAWS2020

Shai

Hello,
I am looking at the q-braille from Hims or the el-braille and I wanted
to get peoples' thoughts on which one is most efficient? I like the
idea of having a qwerty keyboard and perkins style keyboard on the
device but I also am thinking of a windows portable machine.
How well does the q-braille work with JAWS? I did read the access
world review and it sound like there were issues between the qwerty
keyboard and braille display.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

Richard Turner

 When I tested the QBraille  about a year ago using USB, with JAWS, it worked fine.
If you have not handled one, the only QWERTY keys are the function keys, 1 through 12, and arrow keys, shift, control, alt, and Windows, as I recall.

So, you are mostly using braille commands.
I've not handled the El Braille, but it is basically a Focus 40 5th Generation docked with a Windows machine, so as I understand it, you are again using braille commands, or does it have a full QWERTY keyboard?

Richard

Linus to Charlie Brown: "Worrying won't stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good."

Sent with the iPhone SE 2020
www.turner42.com

On May 27, 2020, at 9:04 PM, Shai <shaiwol@...> wrote:

Hello,
I am looking at the q-braille from Hims or the el-braille and I wanted
to get peoples' thoughts on which one is most efficient? I like the
idea of having a qwerty keyboard and perkins style keyboard on the
device but I also am thinking of a windows portable machine.
How well does the q-braille work with JAWS? I did read the access
world review and it sound like there were issues between the qwerty
keyboard and braille display.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

Shai

Hello Richard,
Thank you for the feedback. The elbraille does not have a qwerty
keyboard but one can connect a keyboard to the device via bluetooth or
USB.

On 5/27/20, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:
[...]

Marianne Denning

The Qbraille does not have a qwerty keyboard. It has the escape, f1-f12, delete, insert, page up and down, end and home, the arrow keys and the keys that are found at the bottom of a qwerty key board. You use the Braille keys for key board entry.

[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

The Braille works well for use with Windows screen readers, I did have some annoying effects when trying to use it with a Macintosh, because they don't map the all the keys in the way I think they should. I did find the notepad and clock functions useful.

Richard Turner

Are you talking about the QBraille?  You just said “Braille” and since you do not quote the message you are replying to, there is no way to know what you meant.

Richard