Topics

moderated braille display with jaws

Ali Ismail <haydaraliismail90@...>

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group, and I hope that my questions is appropriate to be addressed in here.

I was wondering if someone could advise me with regards to where I could purchase a portable wireless braille display (40 cells)?

I am a Jaws user; however, I love to engage in reading in braille. Although I like when Jaws would read to me a long piece of text, I still wish to also remained active with my braille reading skills. As braille books takes a lot of space, braille displays are just perfect when reading electronic text in braille.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this query.

With the best of wishes,

Ali

Richard Turner

Ali,
Orbit Research will be releasing a 40 cell display very soon. Their 20 cell is quite good. The 40 will cost about $1400.
Freedom Scientific sells their Focus 40 5th jeneration display for around $2800.
Humanware and The American Printing House for the blind have released their Mantis 40 cell display that has a TWERTY Keyboard instead of a braille keyboard for around $2500.
HIMS has the QBraille 40 that I believe is about $3200.
I hope that helps you get started.

Richard

On Oct 18, 2020, at 7:22 PM, Ali Ismail <haydaraliismail90@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group, and I hope that my questions is appropriate to be addressed in here.

I was wondering if someone could advise me with regards to where I could purchase a portable wireless braille display (40 cells)?

I am a Jaws user; however, I love to engage in reading in braille. Although I like when Jaws would read to me a long piece of text, I still wish to also remained active with my braille reading skills. As braille books takes a lot of space, braille displays are just perfect when reading electronic text in braille.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this query.

With the best of wishes,

Ali

Ali Ismail <haydaraliismail90@...>

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this. this is really helpful.

I’ll be looking more into these.

Best wishes,

[...]

Sharon

My orbit has had to be fixed at least four times:

Missing dots.

Bad motor.

Dots staying up even when machine is off.

Inability to turn machine on.

Probably have spent more fixing it than it cost in the first place!

[...]

That is very unusual.

Over what time period has this been?

It sounds like one of the very early units.

Richard

Live long and prosper 🖖

[...]

Ashleigh Piccinino

Hello,
You could try the Focus 40 Blue 5th Generation from Freedom Scientific. It’s  spendy, about 3,000 dollars. However, it’s well worth it in the end. This is wireless, of course untill you need the USB to charge. However, works well with JAWS connectivity. Unfortunately, need usb connected to use with JAWS on your PC.
Ashleigh Piccinino

On Oct 18, 2020, at 9:22 PM, Ali Ismail <haydaraliismail90@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group, and I hope that my questions is appropriate to be addressed in here.

I was wondering if someone could advise me with regards to where I could purchase a portable wireless braille display (40 cells)?

I am a Jaws user; however, I love to engage in reading in braille. Although I like when Jaws would read to me a long piece of text, I still wish to also remained active with my braille reading skills. As braille books takes a lot of space, braille displays are just perfect when reading electronic text in braille.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this query.

With the best of wishes,

Ali

Kevin Minor

Hi Ashleigh.

My PC has Bluetooth, and I use my Focus 40 Blue 5th Gen with no USB connection to it. In fact, the only time I have a USB cable between the Focus and PC is either when I’m copying books to the Focus, or when I’m updating the firmware. When Bluetooth works, it’s great, and this new Asus is wonderful. My old Lenovo, on the other hand, was very intermittent in terms of Bluetooth.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

[...]

Marianne Denning

I have the Orbit Reader, Focus 40 5th generation and QBraille. I like the Focus 40 and the QBraille. I had a lot of issues with the Orbit Reader.

[...]

Michael Mote

I currently use the Q Braille, and it does work well with both my iDevices, and my computer. I do have to use the USB connection with JAWS. Bluetooth doesn’t seem to be very good. It does work, but I notice a bit of a lag when I use my display like this. I don’t know if that is JAWS related, or if it is just the way the Bluetooth connectivity works with my Windows PC.

[...]

ratshtron

hmmm, I purchased an orbit reader 20 plus a couple of months ago and didn't have one week and I had to send it back because one dot in cell 15 wasn't lifting. cost me to send it back. I wished I had had the funds to purchase the new 40 cell unit from APH, lol!

Legend has it that on Monday 10/19/2020 08:41 AM, Sharon said:

My orbit has had to be fixed at least four times:

Missing dots.

Bad motor.

Dots staying up even when machine is off.

Inability to turn machine on.

Probably have spent more fixing it than it cost in the first place!

Orbit Research will be releasing a 40 cell display very soon. Their 20 cell is quite good. The 40 will cost about $1400.

Freedom Scientific sells their Focus 40 5th jeneration display for around $2800.

Humanware and The American Printing House for the blind have released their Mantis 40 cell display that has a TWERTY Keyboard instead of a braille keyboard for around $2500.

HIMS has the QBraille 40 that I believe is about $3200.

I hope that helps you get started.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,â€&#65533; and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Oct 18, 2020, at 7:22 PM, Ali Ismail <<mailto:haydaraliismail90@...>haydaraliismail90@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group, and I hope that my questions is appropriate to be addressed in here.

I was wondering if someone could advise me with regards to where I could purchase a portable wireless braille display (40 cells)?

I am a Jaws user; however, I love to engage in reading in braille. Although I like when Jaws would read to me a long piece of text, I still wish to also remained active with my braille reading skills. As braille books takes a lot of space, braille displays are just perfect when reading electronic text in braille.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this query.

With the best of wishes,

Ali

Richard Turner

It is pretty standard that you pay for shipping to a company, but they will cover the shipping back since it is under warranty.
I recommend sending things via Priority Mail through the US post office.

It is much cheaper than FedEx or UPS and you can track the package etc.
I hope you communicate with them before sendning it in and had done all the steps to exercise the pins and generate the log files to send them....

Richard

Live long and prosper 🖖

[...]

I will remember that next time if there is a next time, lol! I had to wait a little over a week to return the device and I did go through the process of exercising the pins and didn't help. You would have thought this would have been caught at the company before it was sent out but of course it was only a dot 1 in only one cell. I have noticed that sometimes dots stay up when shutting down the device and I have to turn it back on and shut it down again to make the dots drop. I wish I could use my alva model abt80 that's 23 years old but it is no longer supported by jaws.
Legend has it that on Tuesday 10/20/2020 10:55 AM, Richard Turner said:
It is pretty standard that you pay for shipping to a company, but they will cover the shipping back since it is under warranty.
I recommend sending things via Priority Mail through the US post office.

It is much cheaper than FedEx or UPS and you can track the package etc.
I hope you communicate with them before sendning it in and had done all the steps to exercise the pins and generate the log files to send them....

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,â€&#65533; and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Live long and prosper 🭭

Thanks for this. this is really helpful.

I̢۪ll bl be looking more into these.

Best wishes,

Ali

Orbit Research will be releasing a 40 cell display very soon. Their 20
cell is quite good. The 40 will cost about $1400.

Freedom Scientific sells their Focus 40 5th jeneration display for
around $2800.

Humanware and The American Printing House for the blind have released
their Mantis 40 cell display that has a TWERTY Keyboard instead of a
braille keyboard for around $2500.

HIMS has the QBraille 40 that I believe is about $3200.

I hope that helps you get started.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must
pass himself,â€&#65533; and we forget that only grace can break the
cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I
have regretted not granting grace to others, I̢۪ve never once
regretted ex extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Oct 18, 2020, at 7:22 PM, Ali Ismail
<<mailto:haydaraliismail90@...>haydaraliismail90@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group, and I hope that my
questions is appropriate to be addressed in here.

I was wondering if someone could advise me with
regards to where I could purchase a portable
wireless braille display (40 cells)?

I am a Jaws user; however, I love to engage in
reading in braille. Although I like when Jaws
would read to me a long piece of text, I still
wish to also remained active with my braille
reading skills. As braille books takes a lot of
space, braille displays are just perfect when
reading electronic text in braille.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this query.

With the best of wishes,

Ali

JM Casey

Some dots not fully dropping does seem normal to me for braille displays. A lot of things seem to interfere with the action of the pins -- and of course being in contact with human skin flakes and moisture all the time while in use can't help.

The alva might still be made to work. You may be able to find a driver for it or set another display in settings that will be similar enough that the Alva and computer can still communicate. I was able to get a pretty old Brailliant 80 (I think that's what it's called) to work even though it didn't show up in the list of compatible displays. I had to download a driver from the internet and unfortunately it came with some adware. Wasn't expecting that from a braille display driver. Luckily it was just an annoying ad screen that would pop up every so often, and malwarebytes got rid of it.

[...]

regretted extending it.)"Â - Edward Herbert

Live long and prosper 🭭