Topics

moderated Book Share books format on NLS machine?

Marlo Green

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Would anyone happen to know the format I would use to save a book from Book Share on a thumb drive to play on a NLS player? I was told Daisy, but I tried to play the file on the thumb drive and it wasn’t even there according to the files and folders option on the machine.  Anyone know? The California State library for the Blind doesn’t have a way to contact them by phone, and I have e-mailed already. Thought I would try all avenues.

Cohn, Jonathan

If there is a folder called $vrdtb on the cartridge you are using, then you want to put the folder containing the daisy book in there. If not then just putting the folder in the main directory should work. So, all the daisy files must be in a folder not in the main directory of the cartridge or usb stick.
Also, the NLS readers do not understand  text only books, they must have sound files associated with them. 
HTH
Jonathan

On Oct 15, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Marlo Green <marlogreen@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Would anyone happen to know the format I would use to save a book from Book Share on a thumb drive to play on a NLS player? I was told Daisy, but I tried to play the file on the thumb drive and it wasn’t even there according to the files and folders option on the machine.  Anyone know? The California State library for the Blind doesn’t have a way to contact them by phone, and I have e-mailed already. Thought I would try all avenues.

Chris Hill

You are going to have to save it as audio, the nls machines don't have a method for reading text.

On 10/15/2020 12:59, Marlo Green wrote:

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Steve Matzura

You're confusing DAISY audio with DAISY text. The NLS players play the audio, they don't read the text.

On 10/15/2020 1:59 PM, Marlo Green wrote:

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Richard Turner

NLS players can play mp3 files, but it won't tell you the name of the file, and if there is more than one file in the book, you will have to be sure that they are labeled so they will play in order.
There is a special folder name, which you put the mp3 files into, but I cannot remember the name off the top of my head.
Call your regional library.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Oct 15, 2020, at 11:34 AM, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

You're confusing DAISY audio with DAISY text. The NLS players play the audio, they don't read the text.

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Richard,

The name of that special folder for mp3 files when the storage medium contains both mp3 files and digital talking books is audio+podcasts. Note the plus sign between audio and podcasts with no spacing. If only mp3 files are on the storage device, the special folder is not required.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Book Share books format on NLS machine?

NLS players can play mp3 files, but it won't tell you the name of the file, and if there is more than one file in the book, you will have to be sure that they are labeled so they will play in order.

There is a special folder name, which you put the mp3 files into, but I cannot remember the name off the top of my head.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Richard Turner

Thanks for the reminder.

I no longer have a machine since I just use the BARD mobile app, but good to know.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 1:18 PM

Richard,

The name of that special folder for mp3 files when the storage medium contains both mp3 files and digital talking books is audio+podcasts. Note the plus sign between audio and podcasts with no spacing. If only mp3 files are on the storage device, the special folder is not required.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:42 PM

Richard

Good Afternoon Everyone!