moderated Bolding Text Re: List Rules - 11/01/2021 #cal-notice

Glenn / Lenny

Hi David,
Control B will bold whatever is highlighted, and if nothing is highlighted, I think it will stay bold until you do control B again.
That is not a Jaws command though, it is a word command.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2021 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: List Rules - 11/01/2021 #cal-notice

The question, "How do I turn on bold formatting on selected text in MS-Word with JAWS?," is not, in any way, shape, or form, about JAWS.  It's about Word and a keyboard shortcut it uses regardless of whether a screen reader is involved or not.  Ah, however, I’ve lost track of how often I’ve heard the term, “That has nothing to do with JAWS, it is a windows command.â€�  I did not know that, so was glad for the correction.  Obviously if I did not know something, I can hardly be faulted.   Smile. The one thing I have learned is there are several ways to get to the home screen, as they say, all roads lead to Rome.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 12, 2021 8:42 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: List Rules - 11/01/2021 #cal-notice

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 10:58 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

I've noticed on the over moderated Jaws list, people will have general windows questions, or about a program, but feel as though they have to include how to do something with Jaws, even though it is not really a Jaws question, just to have the question be considered a Jaws question.

That is the result of over moderation.

-
No, it's not.  It's the result of not thinking about what you're asking about.

On every screen reader group I've participated in there are members who think that a question about some given piece of software, with the phrase "with {insert screen reader name here}," makes it a screen reader related question.  It isn't.

If you want to know the keyboard shortcuts or other information about an MS-Office program, web browser, media player, and the list goes on and on that's an entirely separate issue from how to use any given screen reader on top of it.   It is incumbent on those asking questions to actually think about what it is, really, the question pertains to.  Tacking on, "with {insert screen reader name here}," doesn't magically make it about the screen reader.  The question, "How do I turn on bold formatting on selected text in MS-Word with JAWS?," is not, in any way, shape, or form, about JAWS.  It's about Word and a keyboard shortcut it uses regardless of whether a screen reader is involved or not.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer