Topics

BlueTooth Keyboard Recommendations

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I hope this quiry will not be considered to be off topic for the list, since it does have implications for much of the computer work that I do.

Basically, I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good and reliable bluetooth keyboard.

I plan to use the keyboard for various purposes on both my main windows 10 computer, and the older Windows 7 computer I use for ham radio purposes.

I don’t know a whole lot about bluetooth keyboards, but here are a few requirements I’m thinking about:

1.  I’d like the keyboard to be easily paired with both my computers an a fairly blind-friendly and straight-forward way

2.  I’d like to be able to easily switch from one device to the next

3.  Even though this is not totally necessary, I’d prefer that the batteries for the keyboard be replaceable, rather than built-in.  Or, at the very least, I’d like to be able to charge any batteries easily and reliably.

4.  I’d like the keyboard to be fairly portable, and to include the number pad.

5.  I’d like the cost to be reasonable, but not exorbitant, since this is an optional computer accessory.

I realize that this might be a tall order, but thought I’d give it a try here.  Some have recommended Logitec keyboards as a good fit for my needs, but I don’t know much about them.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

If you want portable/compact the Logitech K780 is probably your best choice. It’s heavy because it’s made heavy since you can stand an iPad up in a channel which runs across from left to right above the function keys, but while it has a full numeric pad, it’s still fairly compact because it does not have the big gap you find on a full-size keyboard with the 6-pack and inverted cursor T. The K780 actually has the inverted cursor T, but it’s underneath the right shift key, think of the shift and enter key being the width of 3 other keys so the left arrow, down arrow and right arrow take up the same space as the shift key and in height the down arrow and up arrow above it are I think also the same height as the shift key.

The nice thing with this keyboard is that it is a Bluetooth keyboard, but it also comes with Logitech’s tiny unifying USB receiver so if you have a computer without Bluetooth (most likely your Windows 7 computer won’t have it), you can plug in the little dongle and use your Windows 7 PC that way and you can pair your Windows 1 PC which hopefully has Bluetooth via Bluetooth.

You can pair up to 3 devices with that keyboard so you could even pair it with your iPhone as a third device and all you have to do is press F1, F2 and F3 to switch between device 1, device 2 and device 3.

The one issue is that the function keys will not work as regular function keys unless you install the Logitech Options software where you can change this. It’s not a very accessible install, but if you have sighted help it only takes a minute or less and once installed and once you check the little checkbox to use the function keys you can just forget about it.

If you do this then on a Windows PC you have to press FN along with F1, F2 or F3 to switch devices, but if, for example FN + F3 switches to you riPhone, then in order to switch back to one of your Windows computer you only press F1 or F2 since iOS won’t require the FN key.

Having said all this, there is also a new full-size new Logitech keyboard and mouse combo I just read about. It is the Logitech MK850 and it can do 2 devices, also Bluetooth or USB dongle connectivity, also with regular batteries, I think 1 AA for the mouse and 2 AAA for the keyboard. The link I provided is for Best Buy Canada, but I’m sure you can easily find it on Best Buy or Amazon in the States, it is on Black Friday special for $79.95 Canadian so I assume in the States this may only be $59.99.

Lastly, there is the Logitech G613 which is a wireless mechanical gaming keyboard, but it of course is full-size and fairly heavy, but it has Windows keys both on the left and right of the spacebar, a working application key menu and you can also switch between Bluetooth and a USB dongle connection with a mechanical slider switch. It’s a very nice keyboard, I have the original version with the Romer G switches which I don’t like as much as the Cherry Blue switches I have on my other mechanical keyboards which are wired and from the “Das Keyboard” brand. I could have sworn the other day I stumbled across a G613 version with Blue switches but now I can’t seem to find it any more. The one I have I think is also on sale for $99 Canadian which means probably $79.99 US.

I am typing this on a Logitech K780 by the way which is my main keyboard I use at home with my laptop and for my iPhone if I need a keyboard there from time to time. I just saw both Best Buy Canada and Amazon Canada have it on sale for $73.98 which is also a good price, probably also $59.99 US or maybe even $49.99 in some places.

Best regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Sieghard:

Thanks for all of this great information.

I now have two questions:

1.  If you don’t have the six-pack containing the home and end keys, how do you get to the top and bottom of a document on a Windows 7 or 10 computer, using Jaws?  I use the control home and control end commands to accomplish this.

2.  If you don’t have an applications key, how do you get to the context menus like we do with Jaws for many applications?  Can you use shift F10 for this purpose?

Tom Behler

[...]

I guess it’s all about how you get used to things, I never use the home/end and Page Up/Down keys on the 6-pack since I find it more convenient to use them on the numeric pad, e.g. I press Numpad 7 or Control Numpad 7 if I want Home or Control + Home and Numpad 1 or Control Numpad 1 if I want End or Control + End. The same goes for Numpad 3 for Page Down and Numpad 9 for Page Up.

As for the application key Shift + F10 does the same as the Application Key, in fact, Shift + F10 gives you the so-called extended context menu which often has  more options than just pressing the application key.

Before I recently purchased mechanical keyboards at my store I had Logitech keyboard/mouse combos for years and none of them had an application key or a right Windows key and even now that I have them I have to make a conscious effort to use them again although I am starting to get more accustomed to it again.

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Tom and All,
I almost always use a full-size keyboard, but I have a few laptops that don't have number pads or a six-pack.
But whether I'm using a laptop or desktop, I turn on laptop layout in Jaws settings.
If you do this, the keys JKL and the keys above and below and to the right are just like the number pad, so if one does control + caps lock + the letter U, it takes you to the top of the page, or without the control key, just to the home position for example.
Glenn

[...]

What you have given me here has been very helpful, so thank you very much.

I actually just picked up a Logitec K780 and will try to get it set up later today.

I have two more questions if you don’t mind:

1.  Other than seeing if it works or not, how can you tell whether the keyboard is on or off?  I think there’s a light for sighted ppeople, but that obviously won’t work for me.

And

2.  What kind of indication to we get as to whether pairing actually has occurred?  Once again, I’m going to try to pair the keyboard with my Windows 7 PC, possibly my Windows 10 PC, and my Hims Polaris note-taker.  I also might eventually try pairing with my iPhone, but that is a secondary concern to me now.

If you have any other hints or tips to give me, please feel free.

Tom Behler

[...]

Richard Turner

If it is like the other Logitech keyboards, it has a physical on/off switch on the back.

If batteries are included, make sure the plastic strip that breaks contact is removed.

I always just tap the caps lock key until I hear a response after pairing.

I’ve not paired to a Windows machine, so maybe it gives you a confirmation.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

Thanks, Richard.

I’ll let you and everyone know how things go here.

Tom Behler

[...]

The switch on the K780 is on the right side, if it is pushed towards the back of the keyboard it’s on, if you pull it forward it’s off.

[...]

Ray T. Mahorney

I tried that keyboard but could not work out how to switch it between devices. What did I miss and is it necessary to run the Logitech software with it?

[...]

Others with more experience may hav better info, but I think you do have to install and run the optional Logitec software in order for the keyboard to work correctly.

Installing the software does seem to require sighted assistance, though, so keep that in mind.

Tom Behler

[...]

My understanding is that the software is only required if you are connecting to Windows devices.

Ray, you didn’t say what your devices are; or did I miss part of the note?

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

Correct, Logitech Options is required for Windows and then only if you want the function keys to work as regular function keys which of course I think most of us want.

You simply pair the keyboard to your first device by pressing and holding F1 for about 5 seconds, then pair it.

Repeat with F2 and F3 if you have 3 devices.

After that it’s simply a matter of firmly pressing F1, F2 or F3 to switch to the device  you want, if you have Logitech Options installed and enabled the function keys and if you are using the keyboard with a Windows PC then you have to press FN + F2 or F3 to switch to your other devices. Here is my setup:

F1 = my Windows laptop

F2 = my iPhone 8

F3 = our Apple TV

If I am on my Windows PC as I am now typing this email, if I wanted to switch to my iPhone or Apple TV, I would have to press FN + F2 to switch to my iPhone or FN + F3 to switch to the Apple TV.

If I am using my iPhone, i.e. I am on the F2 position and want to switch to either my Apple TV or PC I only have to press F1 for my laptop or F3 for my Apple TV, FN is not required here because the keyboard knows I am using it with iOS and here the function keys are simply media controls and F1, F2 and F3, the easy switch keys, do what they are programmed to do without pressing FN.

If you don’t install Logitech Options then even on a Windows PC you only have to press F1, F2 or F3 since in fact you have to press FN if you want, for example, Windows Help which is normally F1.

The FN key is simply a modifier, if you set the function keys to work as function keys you need the modifier to get the easy switch functionality, if you haven’t then the FN key is required to get the traditional function key action.

[...]

that software and the need for sighted assistance put me off that keyboard particularly as the sighted person could not get past the initial setup screen.

[...]

Well, I’m not sure, but we somehow got through that part.

And, of course, once the software is installed, you can forget it.

Tom Behler

[...]

Any sighted person should be able to install this in 30 seconds, actually it can be installed by a blind person at least with Jaws )I don’t use NVDA so can’t say), but you have to know your screenreader. Once the spoftware is installed and you check that checkbox you can forget about it, it runs in the background and that’s it.

[...]

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Hi Tom,

I Am using a Logitek keyboard as we speak, I think that it is a K780 but I can check if you like.

It is Bluetooth and will connect with any Bluetooth machine e.g. it is running with my laptop that has built in Bluetooth.

You have to pair it but that is quite simple, it just flashes a code when you add the device which you only need to type in once.

This one is a full keyboard, it has the number pad and is PC focused.

It runs on two triple a batteries, I have had mind for about a year, I don’t use it very often but it is still on the same batteries.

As far as I am aware, it won’t actually charge the batteries but you could use rechargeable ones and charge them outside of the keyboard.

It has round keys which is a bit different but it is quite easy to get used to.

I Love the feel of it, it is great!

One thing I really do love is that it can pair with three devices, f1, f2 and f3 will switch between the paired devices once they have been set up initially.

The only thing I am not so fond of is the function keys have to be pressed with FN first if you want their standard function e.g. fn+f1 for example gives the standard f1 which is help most of the time.

You can install the Logitek options software which will allow you to change this default action but that is a bit fiddly, I am sure you could get someone to help and as far as I am aware, this is the only way to change the default function key action, I would love to find another way.

I Hope that this helps in some way!

[...]

1.       The keyboard has oan off/off button on the righthand edge, near the back.

2.      It will go in to stand by if you are not using it, I always forget to turn mine off J

3.       If it is paired, you can just press a few keys and it will tell you if it is responding or not.

4.

[...]

It will switch with one key press of f1, f2 or f3 once it is paired with the relevant device, you don’t need the software to do this.

[...]

Steven:

As you’ll probably see, I did end up getting the Logitec K780 keyboard, and love it!

I did install the Logitec Options software, and have checked the box that asks the keyboard to treat the function keys as standard windows function keys.

So far, I really like the keyboard, and am very glad I made the purchase.

Tom Behler