moderated BIOS

Marianne Denning

Sadly, I can’t use JAWS when I need to go into the BIOS. Can someone explain how they interact with it without a screen reader?

Edward Green

Hi Marianne,

I use my smartphone to call Microsoft Disability Answer Desk by Be My Eyes, and point my phone at the computer screen while they help me manipulate it.

Strictly speaking the bios is the domain of the computer manufacturer rather than Microsoft, but I haven’t had an Answer Desk agent refuse to help.

It goes without saying that I have to point my phone at the screen because they can’t remote on and access the bios.

Cheers,

Ed

On 13 May 2021 21:31:07 "Marianne Denning" <marianne@...> wrote:

Sadly, I can’t use JAWS when I need to go into the BIOS. Can someone explain how they interact with it without a screen reader?

Soronel Haetir

Even better if you can enlist the aid of a local seeing-eye human.
Thankfully needing to go into the BIOS settings has become a much
rarer thing than in the past.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Edward Green

I’ve found from bitter experience that the competence of the local sightling is a relevant consideration …

At least there's a certain level of competence with the Microsoft solution.

Obvious a tech savvy local person is optimal.

Cheers,

Ed

On 5/13/21, Edward Green <ergreen1981@...> wrote:

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

True, from using Be My Eyes, as the keyboard commands for getting around in the BIOS vary from computer to computer, and are listed at the bottom of the screen, people who have never gone into the BIOS before usually have no idea of where to look for things, like where to find drives or periphiels.
Glenn

[...]

I thought somebody might have figured out a way to walk by faith. Thank you for your help. Sadly, every time there is a Windows update my Acer computer reverts back to the function keys the way they were originally and I have to go into the bios to fix it. This is happening to me about once a week at this time. It is getting ridiculous and I am extremely frustrated. I have used my husband and I also use a IRA.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Marianne Denning wrote:
Sadly, every time there is a Windows update my Acer computer reverts back to the function keys the way they were originally and I have to go into the bios to fix it.
-
You need to contact Acer about this, as the only way this could happen is if they've given a BIOS update to Microsoft, to be applied via UEFI as part of a Windows Update, that is somehow not registering as being already done.

You could also try, at least temporarily, Preventing Windows Update from Updating Device Drivers

It's also very likely that Acer has a "service station" type driver and firmware update monitoring program, and if it does I'd install it and let it take care of BIOS updates.  I just tried finding it at the Acer support site but the site itself seems to be having issues at the moment.

           ~ André Gide

Hi,

Also, some manufacturers do let you customize function key behavior through their app and/or a key combination (Dynabook (formerly Toshiba) and Lenovo are two OEM’s, known for letting you do one or both of these).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

It would help to know the exact model of Acer being discussed.  There are so many (as there are for any maker) and what's available is directly dependent on the model itself.

The support pages at Acer.com appear to have come back online again.

           ~ André Gide

Soronel Haetir

I am used to providing the competence personally. As long as someone
can recognize selected text that is usually enough.

wrote:

Sadly, I can't use JAWS when I need to go into the BIOS. Can someone
explain
how they interact with it without a screen reader?

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Glenn / Lenny

I don't know about that, I have worked with people who don't know what to
read, and don't know about different pages or windows, and if one has never
been inside that computer's BIOS before, you don't know what the headings
are and how things are worded.
Now if someone is familiar with the BIOS on a particular computer, then it
should be pretty easy to guide a non-computer user around.
Glenn

wrote:

Sadly, I can't use JAWS when I need to go into the BIOS. Can someone
explain
how they interact with it without a screen reader?

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Chris Nestrud

Some manufacturers such as Lenovo allow you to change BIOS settings from
within Windows. For example:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/kbl-r_deploy_01.pdf

Chris

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 04:30:53PM -0400, Marianne Denning wrote:
Sadly, I can't use JAWS when I need to go into the BIOS. Can someone explain
how they interact with it without a screen reader?

Steven Hicks

You can’t unfortunately, there should be few reasons why you need to but sighted assistance is the only way.