moderated Automatic capitalization

marilyn

Hello all,

Out of the blue I’m now getting the comment “auto correct” every time my cursor goes to a new line and the first letter of that word is automatically capitalized. How do I get rid of this action? I recently updated Windows and Jaws on my desktop.  Step by step will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 3:46 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: how do you underline a word?

And you’re also using some version of MS Word? In that case, highlight the word or passage you wish to underline, then press control-u. JAWS will announce something like, “Underline.”

One caveat that will be obvious to people with sight but not those without: if you underline, italicize or bold something and then continue typing right away, the newly typed text will also be underlined, etc. What I do to prevent this from happening is to add a comma after the text I’m about to underline. When I’ve completed the underlining, I add a space after the comma, then delete the comma, which won’t have been underlined. Of course, if you want a comma there anyway, all the better.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 3:14 PM
Subject: how do you underline a word?

Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

Bill White

Hi, Marilyn. To rid yourself of unwanted capitalization,

1. Open Microsoft Word.

2. Press ALT followed by the letters F, then T.

3. Arrow down to Proofing.

4. Press SPACE on the AutoCorrect Options button.

5. Uncheck any options related to capitalization which you do not want to occur automatically.

6. TAB to OK, and press ENTER.

7. The options you uncheck should no longer be capitalized automatically.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of marilyn
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 6:39 AM
Subject: Re: Automatic capitalization

Hello all,

Out of the blue I’m now getting the comment “auto correct” every time my cursor goes to a new line and the first letter of that word is automatically capitalized. How do I get rid of this action? I recently updated Windows and Jaws on my desktop.  Step by step will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: how do you underline a word?

And you’re also using some version of MS Word? In that case, highlight the word or passage you wish to underline, then press control-u. JAWS will announce something like, “Underline.”

One caveat that will be obvious to people with sight but not those without: if you underline, italicize or bold something and then continue typing right away, the newly typed text will also be underlined, etc. What I do to prevent this from happening is to add a comma after the text I’m about to underline. When I’ve completed the underlining, I add a space after the comma, then delete the comma, which won’t have been underlined. Of course, if you want a comma there anyway, all the better.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 3:14 PM
Subject: how do you underline a word?

Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 09:38 AM, marilyn wrote:
every time my cursor goes to a new line
-
What do you mean by that, exactly?

The default behavior is to capitalize the beginning character of sentences or paragraphs if they are accidentally left uncapitalized.  In a word processor, you should not be hitting Enter except to force a new paragraph.  The word processor itself flows all of the text within a paragraph according ot the spacing you set up.

The way you phrased this makes it sound like you may be hitting Enter, at times, in the middle of a sentence to get a word on the next line, and while one could do that it's unnecessary as word flow is handled automatically based on the margins you've set.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer