moderated Audio Ducking Again


Tom Behler
 

Hello, everyone.

 

I typically use the insert spacebar D command to set Jaws to not duck other audio sources, but I have noticed something interesting since updateing to jaws 2023.

 

I can be ok for a while with Jaws set to not duck other audio sources, but occasionally, for reasons that are not clear to me, Jaws switches back to audio ducking without my invoking the ducking toggle command.

 

I obviously can manually re-set things to not duck the other audio, but I’m wondering why this behavior is occurring, and if this is a bug in the latest Jaws update.

 

Will be interested in any experiences others might have with this.

 

Thanks!

 

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan


Mike B.
 

Hi Tom,
 
Just to make sure there's not a setting in the Settings Center default all applications that might be interfering with this check in there to make sure.  To do this try the following,
 
Press, Insert + 6, on the number row, to open Settings Center, then press, Control, Shift + D, to open Default All Applications.
 
Type, audio, in the search field and wait a moment for the results to populate.
 
When you hear, Lower audio volume of Jaws..., make sure this is unchecked.  If this is unchecked then you probably need to report this to FS / Vispero.  If it is checked, uncheck it, apply / okay your way out and see if the problem persists.
 
 
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Behler
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2022 6:11 PM
Subject: Audio Ducking Again

Hello, everyone.

 

I typically use the insert spacebar D command to set Jaws to not duck other audio sources, but I have noticed something interesting since updateing to jaws 2023.

 

I can be ok for a while with Jaws set to not duck other audio sources, but occasionally, for reasons that are not clear to me, Jaws switches back to audio ducking without my invoking the ducking toggle command.

 

I obviously can manually re-set things to not duck the other audio, but I’m wondering why this behavior is occurring, and if this is a bug in the latest Jaws update.

 

Will be interested in any experiences others might have with this.

 

Thanks!

 

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan


Gene Warner
 

That's possible, I noted that JAWS 2023 was ducking other audio even though it wasn't speaking so no audio ducking should have been active. Ultimately I went back to JAWS 2022 because I found other problems with the 2023 version that were problems I wasn't willing to live with, but until then I simply turned off audio ducking in the default settings in the settings center.

The JAWS+space,D works, but I didn't know if that changed the default setting so it would be global, or if it just changed the setting for the current app you were in.

Gene...

On 11/2/2022 9:11 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Hello, everyone.
I typically use the insert spacebar D command to set Jaws to not duck other audio sources, but I have noticed something interesting since updateing to jaws 2023.
I can be ok for a while with Jaws set to not duck other audio sources, but occasionally, for reasons that are not clear to me, Jaws switches back to audio ducking without my invoking the ducking toggle command.
I obviously can manually re-set things to not duck the other audio, but I’m wondering why this behavior is occurring, and if this is a bug in the latest Jaws update.
Will be interested in any experiences others might have with this.
Thanks!
Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan


Mike Pietruk
 

Gene and those going back to Jaws2022:

Did you merely return to 2022 and also remove 2023 from your system; or
merely silence it and make 2022 your primary screen reader?
Curious, as I did the latter.


Gene Warner
 

I just left 2023 installed, and reconfigured the system to use 2022 as the primary screen reader. Just like you did. Unless the problem is with one of the shared components, which doesn't seem to be the case this time, having 2023 installed doesn't appear to affect 2022, so there's no need to uninstall it.

Gene...

On 11/3/2022 10:11 AM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Gene and those going back to Jaws2022:
Did you merely return to 2022 and also remove 2023 from your system; or
merely silence it and make 2022 your primary screen reader?
Curious, as I did the latter.


Tom Behler
 

Gene:

I'll check into this further when I get the chance.

Mike from the list has given me instructions for changing the default setting for all applications, so that will be my first step.

I assume that if I do this, I can use insert spacebar D if I want to change back to ducking when in a specific application.


Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Warner
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2022 8:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Audio Ducking Again

That's possible, I noted that JAWS 2023 was ducking other audio even though it wasn't speaking so no audio ducking should have been active.
Ultimately I went back to JAWS 2022 because I found other problems with the 2023 version that were problems I wasn't willing to live with, but until then I simply turned off audio ducking in the default settings in the settings center.

The JAWS+space,D works, but I didn't know if that changed the default setting so it would be global, or if it just changed the setting for the current app you were in.

Gene...


On 11/2/2022 9:11 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I typically use the insert spacebar D command to set Jaws to not duck
other audio sources, but I have noticed something interesting since
updateing to jaws 2023.

I can be ok for a while with Jaws set to not duck other audio sources,
but occasionally, for reasons that are not clear to me, Jaws switches
back to audio ducking without my invoking the ducking toggle command.

I obviously can manually re-set things to not duck the other audio,
but I’m wondering why this behavior is occurring, and if this is a bug
in the latest Jaws update.

Will be interested in any experiences others might have with this.

Thanks!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan


Panagiotis Antonopoulos
 

Like you, I did the latter Mike.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Pietruk
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2022 4:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Audio Ducking Again

Gene and those going back to Jaws2022:

Did you merely return to 2022 and also remove 2023 from your system; or
merely silence it and make 2022 your primary screen reader?
Curious, as I did the latter.


Gene Warner
 

Yes you can still use the JAWS+Space,D layered command to toggle audio ducking. Its is possible that that command changes the default setting so its effect is global. I simply don't know if it is or not.

Gene...

On 11/3/2022 10:26 AM, Tom Behler wrote:
Gene:
I'll check into this further when I get the chance.
Mike from the list has given me instructions for changing the default setting for all applications, so that will be my first step.
I assume that if I do this, I can use insert spacebar D if I want to change back to ducking when in a specific application.
Tom Behler
-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Warner
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2022 8:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Audio Ducking Again
That's possible, I noted that JAWS 2023 was ducking other audio even though it wasn't speaking so no audio ducking should have been active.
Ultimately I went back to JAWS 2022 because I found other problems with the 2023 version that were problems I wasn't willing to live with, but until then I simply turned off audio ducking in the default settings in the settings center.
The JAWS+space,D works, but I didn't know if that changed the default setting so it would be global, or if it just changed the setting for the current app you were in.
Gene...
On 11/2/2022 9:11 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I typically use the insert spacebar D command to set Jaws to not duck
other audio sources, but I have noticed something interesting since
updateing to jaws 2023.

I can be ok for a while with Jaws set to not duck other audio sources,
but occasionally, for reasons that are not clear to me, Jaws switches
back to audio ducking without my invoking the ducking toggle command.

I obviously can manually re-set things to not duck the other audio,
but I’m wondering why this behavior is occurring, and if this is a bug
in the latest Jaws update.

Will be interested in any experiences others might have with this.

Thanks!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan


Gene Warner
 

I still don't know if the JAWS+Space,D layered command's effect is global or not, but I did find that it does not change the setting in the settings center so audio ducking would revert to those saved settings the next time JAWS is restarted. So if you want to turn on or off audio ducking and have it stay that way you need to change the setting in the settings center.

Gene...

On 11/3/2022 10:35 AM, Gene Warner wrote:
Yes you can still use the JAWS+Space,D layered command to toggle audio ducking. Its is possible that that command changes the default setting so its effect is global. I simply don't know if it is or not.
Gene...
On 11/3/2022 10:26 AM, Tom Behler wrote:
Gene:

I'll check into this further when I get the chance.

Mike from the list has given me instructions for changing the default setting for all applications, so that will be my first step.

I assume that if I do this, I can use insert spacebar D if I want to change back to ducking when in  a specific application.


Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Warner
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2022 8:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Audio Ducking Again

That's possible, I noted that JAWS 2023 was ducking other audio even though it wasn't speaking so no audio ducking should have been active.
Ultimately I went back to JAWS 2022 because I found other problems with the 2023 version that were problems I wasn't willing to live with, but until then I simply turned off audio ducking in the default settings in the settings center.

The JAWS+space,D works, but I didn't know if that changed the default setting so it would be global, or if it just changed the setting for the current app you were in.

Gene...


On 11/2/2022 9:11 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I typically use the insert spacebar D command to set Jaws to not duck
other audio sources, but I have noticed something interesting since
updateing to jaws 2023.

I can be ok for a while with Jaws set to not duck other audio sources,
but occasionally, for reasons that are not clear to me, Jaws switches
back to audio ducking without my invoking the ducking toggle command.

I obviously can manually re-set things to not duck the other audio,
but I’m wondering why this behavior is occurring, and if this is a bug
in the latest Jaws update.

Will be interested in any experiences others might have with this.

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan










Karen Reynolds
 

I went back for a few days. I thought some of the internet issues might be
related. I had the same issues with 2022, so I've returned. I removed the
shortcut key from 2022 and put it on 2023. Then I turned off the start up
items I had on in 2022 and turned them on in 2023 and rebooted.

Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Pietruk
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2022 10:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Audio Ducking Again

Gene and those going back to Jaws2022:

Did you merely return to 2022 and also remove 2023 from your system; or
merely silence it and make 2022 your primary screen reader?
Curious, as I did the latter.


Mike Pietruk
 

Karen

Thanks for the explanation as to how you did it; I did exactly the same.
For the benefit of others, you stated it far more elegantly than I did;
and that tells everyone that's very easy to do and undo.
That's one of the many pluses of JAWS; with my original Windows screen
reader, Window-Eyes, that would have not been as quick and easy.


Tom Behler
 

Mike:

 

To follow up on your suggestion from the other day, I have now set Jaws not to duck other audio in my efault settings for all applications.

 

I still have the option to manually turn ducking on or off via the insert spacebar D command, so I can still do that if I wish for specific applications and settings.

 

I think I’m now all set.

 

Thanks!

 

Tom Behler

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2022 11:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Audio Ducking Again

 

Hi Tom,

 

Just to make sure there's not a setting in the Settings Center default all applications that might be interfering with this check in there to make sure.  To do this try the following,

 

Press, Insert + 6, on the number row, to open Settings Center, then press, Control, Shift + D, to open Default All Applications.

 

Type, audio, in the search field and wait a moment for the results to populate.

 

When you hear, Lower audio volume of Jaws..., make sure this is unchecked.  If this is unchecked then you probably need to report this to FS / Vispero.  If it is checked, uncheck it, apply / okay your way out and see if the problem persists.

 

 

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----

From: Tom Behler

Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2022 6:11 PM

Subject: Audio Ducking Again

 

Hello, everyone.

 

I typically use the insert spacebar D command to set Jaws to not duck other audio sources, but I have noticed something interesting since updateing to jaws 2023.

 

I can be ok for a while with Jaws set to not duck other audio sources, but occasionally, for reasons that are not clear to me, Jaws switches back to audio ducking without my invoking the ducking toggle command.

 

I obviously can manually re-set things to not duck the other audio, but I’m wondering why this behavior is occurring, and if this is a bug in the latest Jaws update.

 

Will be interested in any experiences others might have with this.

 

Thanks!

 

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan