Topics

moderated Assigning symbol short cut key in Word

Gezim Rexha

Hi list,

I would appreciate if someone would give me instructions how to assign short cut key for a symbol in MS Word.

Cheers,

Gezim

Mike B

With a Word document open press, Insert + 4, on the number row to open the symbols list, navigate using your arrow keys to the symbol you want and press enter to insert this symbol into the document.  Note:  Make sure you're at the exact spot in the document where you want the symbol inserted when doing this.

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 4:07 PM
Subject: Assigning symbol short cut key in Word

Hi list,

I would appreciate if someone would give me instructions how to assign short cut key for a symbol in MS Word.

Cheers,

Gezim

Something else is using what are commonly called ALT codes, and they can be very handy for certain "odd symbols" that you use frequently, though it does require using the number pad as the numeric entry.

See:  https://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/alt-codes/list/  (I do not know whether this page is accessible as far as what will be read for the table, as it shows the digit(s) you need to type while ALT is held down, using the number pad, next to the actual symbol it would produce.  There are scads of these and even I don't know how each one of those characters would be announced.

But, for one example, if you are in MS-Word and want to insert the degree symbol, make sure that you're in the position where you want it and that number lock for the number pad is ON before you start the sequence - hold down ALT and while doing so enter 0176 on the number pad.

Also see:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/insert-ascii-or-unicode-character-codes-in-word-e97306f7-00c1-490d-9920-c924ca443f87

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Marty Hutchings

Thanks Mike,  I never knew this.  There are 49 symbols to choose from in my list.

Love in Christ
Marty