moderated Asking a drop box question for JAWS.

Ron Kolesar

Hello to my fellow JAWS subscribers.

I just grabbed drop box from

www.ninite.com

I click on the desktop icon, but nothing happens.

Just curious if I can get some drop box help to open up drop box and so on from a screen reader’s point of view?

I’ve written to drop box about this issue, and I await their reply to my letter.

Very Thankfully Yours,

Ron KR3DOG

Mike B

Hi Ron,

A silly question I know but, did you get it installed?  Did you create an account on the Dropbox website?  Do you know if it's running?  Look in the task manager or the system tray for this.  This is not a plug--N- play program.  Also, when installing it will take a few minutes at the minimum and you'll need to use the Jaws cursor to find any information during the install process.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I click on the desktop icon, but nothing happens.

Just curious if I can get some drop box help to open up drop box and so on from a screen reader’s point of view?

I’ve written to drop box about this issue, and I await their reply to my letter.

Very Thankfully Yours,

Ron KR3DOG

Bill White

Hi, Ron. I've had trouble with Ninite setup programs in the past. Try uninstalling the Dropbox you installed, and downloading Dropbox from the Dropbox site.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On 2021-02-18 at 02:41 Bill White wrote:

Hi, Ron. I've had trouble with Ninite setup programs in the past. Try uninstalling the Dropbox you installed, and downloading Dropbox from the Dropbox site.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I click on the desktop icon, but nothing happens.

Just curious if I can get some drop box help to open up drop box and so on from a screen reader’s point of view?

I’ve written to drop box about this issue, and I await their reply to my letter.

Very Thankfully Yours,

Ron KR3DOG

Ron Kolesar

Well, the good news is that it is installed and I have a desktop icon for dropbox.

The bad news is that once again when you click on the desktop icon, nothing happens.

I have several drop boxes and I cannot access any oof them since I can’t get the desktop icon to launch for me.

If and or when I hear back from dropbox, I’ll share with everyone of course.

In the mean time, if anyone has any further suggestions?

Please keep the coming.

Many thanks to all.

Ron who’s now going to go to bed here on the East Coast.

A silly question I know but, did you get it installed?  Did you create an account on the Dropbox website?  Do you know if it's running?  Look in the task manager or the system tray for this.  This is not a plug--N- play program.  Also, when installing it will take a few minutes at the minimum and you'll need to use the Jaws cursor to find any information during the install process.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I click on the desktop icon, but nothing happens.

Just curious if I can get some drop box help to open up drop box and so on from a screen reader’s point of view?

I’ve written to drop box about this issue, and I await their reply to my letter.

Very Thankfully Yours,

Ron KR3DOG

Curtis Delzer

just open the drop box folder under
"C:\Users\admin\Dropbox"
and there you'll find all of your drop boxes.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 2/17/2021 8:34 PM, Ron Kolesar wrote:
[...]

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Ron/all,

Once you log in, you need to install the application. Thereafter you should be getting a dropbox icon. I have to say, dropbox has a rather curious behaviour from time to time.

                                                                Take care,

                                                                Takis

I click on the desktop icon, but nothing happens.

Just curious if I can get some drop box help to open up drop box and so on from a screen reader’s point of view?

I’ve written to drop box about this issue, and I await their reply to my letter.

Very Thankfully Yours,

Ron KR3DOG

That is because you have to go to the Dropbox icon in your system tray, go to Preferences and tell Dropbox to use File Explorer and not their new Dropbox app which is not very accessible.

Here is what I do:

I press Jaws Key + F11 to bring up the system tray, go to Dropbox or press D and press enter.

You may hear that  you have to press enter again, if so do that and you should get a number of options you can tab through.

Press tab until you hear Access and manage your Dropbox settings Button, activate by pressing enter

Now from the menu which opens select "Preferences, this opens Dropbox preferences and you are on the General tab.

Tab and the first option is "Start Dropbox on system startup check box‑ checked"

Tab again and you get "Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox check box‑ not checked", this is most likely checked, not sure if it has to be unchecked, but I uncheck it.

Tab again and you get "Microsoft Office add-in", then "Show Dropbox as a save location in Microsoft Office check box‑ not checked", you can check or uncheck this as you please

The next item is "Dropbox Badge", it's a combo box which by default I think is set to "Always Show" and I don't think there is any reason to change this.

Now comes "Language", another combo box and I would leave it on "System Language".

This next item now is the most important:

Open folders in: Combo box‑

File Explorer

By default this says Dropbox, but since I believe a lot of the modern Dropbox app functionality is not that accessible I prefer that the Dropbox folder simply opens in File Explorer if I activate the Dropbox icon on the desktop and this is what determines this. Make sure it is set to File Explorer, tab to OK and activate it and you are now back to the old behaviour where pressing enter on the Dropbox icon opens your Dropbox folder.

A silly question I know but, did you get it installed?  Did you create an account on the Dropbox website?  Do you know if it's running?  Look in the task manager or the system tray for this.  This is not a plug--N- play program.  Also, when installing it will take a few minutes at the minimum and you'll need to use the Jaws cursor to find any information during the install process.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I click on the desktop icon, but nothing happens.

Just curious if I can get some drop box help to open up drop box and so on from a screen reader’s point of view?

I’ve written to drop box about this issue, and I await their reply to my letter.

Very Thankfully Yours,

Ron KR3DOG

Michael Massey

I also forgot to mention in my last post that my desktop pc running Windows 10 pro was unaffected by the outage.  I just have to figure out how to resync the folders in drop box to my laptop computer.  It’s one of those set it and forget it things.  I really didn’t try to resync the folders from my desktop pc to my laptop pc because my friend’s equipment failed so he couldn’t update his oldies shows.

A silly question I know but, did you get it installed?  Did you create an account on the Dropbox website?  Do you know if it's running?  Look in the task manager or the system tray for this.  This is not a plug--N- play program.  Also, when installing it will take a few minutes at the minimum and you'll need to use the Jaws cursor to find any information during the install process.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I click on the desktop icon, but nothing happens.

Just curious if I can get some drop box help to open up drop box and so on from a screen reader’s point of view?

I’ve written to drop box about this issue, and I await their reply to my letter.

Very Thankfully Yours,

Ron KR3DOG

Mike B

Hi Michael,

Are the 2 computers linked to the same Dropbox account?  If so once Dropbox is running and connected to the internet the 2 computers should sync up.  If this doesn't happen you might have to go to the Dropbox website and link the laptop back up to your Dropbox account.  Steps are below.
Using JAWS 2020 and Google Chrome, I do the following:

On Dropbox site, after logging in, enter on Account. This expands the account menu.

Enter on Settings

Enter on Security tab, to select it.

There are several other settings before the list of devices. Either scroll past them, or look for the word "devices" on the page.

Devices currently linked to Dropbox are listed from the most recently used to the oldest. Each device has an indication of when it was last using Dropbox,
and each device has an "unlink" button.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.