moderated Application Mode

Mark Arnold ABG

List,

I am trying to set up an account on H & R Block.  After a few steps filling out the information and it takes me to the next screen, it goes into application mode.  I cannot seem to complete filling out the form.  Can anyone assist me on how to use application mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Mark,

I did run into an issue using applications mode in Blackboard whereby
I wasn't able to type text in an edit field. I was using Chrome as my
browser, and when I switched to Firefox, I was then able to type in
that field. So, if you are using Chrome, try Firefox. If you are
already using Firefox, perhaps try Chrome or Edge.

Hope this helps,

Russell

On 3/7/22, Mark Arnold ABG <markarnold.abg@...> wrote:
List,

I am trying to set up an account on H & R Block. After a few steps filling
out the information and it takes me to the next screen, it goes into
application mode. I cannot seem to complete filling out the form. Can
anyone assist me on how to use application mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Curtis Chong

Hello Mark:

I am a long time JAWS user. In my experience, the application mode that is sometimes forced upon us by certain websites seems to be of no value. When I get into that mode, I usually force myself to get back into the virtual cursor mode or forms mode. Then, the form can be filled out.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

I am trying to set up an account on H & R Block.  After a few steps filling out the information and it takes me to the next screen, it goes into application mode.  I cannot seem to complete filling out the form.  Can anyone assist me on how to use application mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

mike mcglashon

Quoting:

When I get into that mode, I usually force myself to get back into the virtual cursor mode or forms mode.

End quoting:

Yeah but you forgot to answer the “real question”

“how does one force himself back into virtual cursor or forms mode?”

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

I am a long time JAWS user. In my experience, the application mode that is sometimes forced upon us by certain websites seems to be of no value. When I get into that mode, I usually force myself to get back into the virtual cursor mode or forms mode. Then, the form can be filled out.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

I am trying to set up an account on H & R Block.  After a few steps filling out the information and it takes me to the next screen, it goes into application mode.  I cannot seem to complete filling out the form.  Can anyone assist me on how to use application mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Curtis Chong

Hello:

I usually press the plus key on the number pad. If there is no number pad, with the JAWS Laptop keyboard layout in effect, press caps lock with semicolon. Escape seems to do the same thing.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

On Mar 7, 2022, at 1:58 PM, mike mcglashon <michael.mcglashon@...> wrote:

Quoting:

[...]

Thanks Mike,

I can’t find a way to do this…

I am a long time JAWS user. In my experience, the application mode that is sometimes forced upon us by certain websites seems to be of no value. When I get into that mode, I usually force myself to get back into the virtual cursor mode or forms mode. Then, the form can be filled out.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

I am trying to set up an account on H & R Block.  After a few steps filling out the information and it takes me to the next screen, it goes into application mode.  I cannot seem to complete filling out the form.  Can anyone assist me on how to use application mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark Arnold ABG

Curtis,

I can do this but Jaws simply takes me back to the “next” button and I start all over again.  I do have some residual vision and I can see the screen moving when in application mode but Jaws does not read anything…  I am usually reasonably skilled in using Jaws but this is driving me crazy.  Sorry for venting…

Mark

I am a long time JAWS user. In my experience, the application mode that is sometimes forced upon us by certain websites seems to be of no value. When I get into that mode, I usually force myself to get back into the virtual cursor mode or forms mode. Then, the form can be filled out.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

I am trying to set up an account on H & R Block.  After a few steps filling out the information and it takes me to the next screen, it goes into application mode.  I cannot seem to complete filling out the form.  Can anyone assist me on how to use application mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Curtis Chong

Hi Mark:

I understand your frustration. So, if you revert back to the normal JAWS virtual cursor mode, I take it none of the edit fields show up as you explore the page. This means that the people who put up the website have done something which is not working in our favor. If you can tell me where to go on the site, maybe I can figure this out. Otherwise, you may have to resort to another browser or method to get this done. Frustrating, yah, I know.

[...]

Life in Six Dots

To exit Application Mode I usually press either ESC or NUMPAD PLUS. If that doesn’t work I will then turn the Virtual Cursor ON and OFF by pressing INSERT+Z.

I am a long time JAWS user. In my experience, the application mode that is sometimes forced upon us by certain websites seems to be of no value. When I get into that mode, I usually force myself to get back into the virtual cursor mode or forms mode. Then, the form can be filled out.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

I am trying to set up an account on H & R Block.  After a few steps filling out the information and it takes me to the next screen, it goes into application mode.  I cannot seem to complete filling out the form.  Can anyone assist me on how to use application mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark Arnold ABG

Curtis,

Thank you again for trying to help.  I can go as far to set up my account on the H&R Block site.  The next step is to answer a few security questions.  When I hit the button to go to that step, it goes into application mode.  When I exit out of application mode, Jaws will not read anything.  I appreciate you offering to take a look at the site, but you would need to open an account to get to the step that is frustrating me.  Thanks again so much for all your help.  I guess I’ll start the process of making calls to get someone to assist.

[...]

Justin Williams

Can you turn off the virtual cursor and fill it out likt that?

Justin

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Mark,

Once out of applications mode, you might try what I think of as a screen refresh with JAWS key+escape. And/or you might leave the window with alt-tab, then return to it.

There’s also the touch cursor, which you invoke by pressing shift-PC cursor. As with applications mode, exit by pressing the PC cursor key twice quickly.

[...]

Mark:

Okay. I have successfully set up an account with H&R Block. Here is what I had to do (short of calling AIRA).

When you actually start to verify the account, the answers are sometimes radio buttons or regular buttons that cannot be activated from the keyboard. Instead, you have to route the virtual cursor to the button and invoke the JAWS left click function. The verify my identity button must be activated in this way. Also, with respect to the radio buttons, JAWS is not going to tell you whether the button is checked or not. JAWS always thinks the button is not checked. So be careful.

All in all, this part of H&R Block is less than fully accessible.

Aloha,

Curtis Chong

[...]

I cannot thank you enough for all you have done to assist me in this problem.  I have always valued your help in other matters and the list is invaluable.

Never the less, as in many things in life, we choose our battles.  When continuing to use their software, the steps you suggested need to be followed on every screen I encounter.  I simply don’t have the time or fortitude to deal with H&R anymore.  I’ve taken my business elsewhere…

My above statements just reinforce how companies lose business because they create software inaccessible to the blind.  Their loss not mine…  Rest assured I will address the issue to H&R’s corporate office.

Thank you again Curtis for all you did to help-

[...]

I couldn’t agree with you more<smile>. This is particularly vexing in light of the fact that, a few years ago, the NFB went after H&R Block because of accessibility issues with its website.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong