moderated antivirus software

Juan Hernandez

HI All,

What is a antivirus package that is accessible? And that won’t chew up my system resources to bad?

Thanks.

Lori Lynn

I’ve been using Avast for several years. It is very accessible with JAWS. I’ve got a Windows 10 machine with the latest version of JAWS.

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Juan Hernandez
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 1:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: antivirus software

HI All,

What is a antivirus package that is accessible? And that won’t chew up my system resources to bad?

Thanks.

Randy Barnett

Microsoft built-in security suite is all you need. It's free it's accessible and it's effective. I've been using it for years.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 28, 2021, at 11:16 AM, Juan Hernandez <juanhernandez98@...> wrote:

HI All,

Thanks.

Tyler Wood

Microsoft’s windows defender is not only built in, but free and accessible, and has remained so the last 6 years. It is located under settings>update and security>Windows security. From there it is simply a matter of clicking on the pertinent button you are interested in e.g. virus and threat protection, windows security (to get a summary of your system security), account protection, firewall and network protection, etc.

Best of luck!

Tyler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: antivirus software

Microsoft built-in security suite is all you need. It's free it's accessible and it's effective. I've been using it for years.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 28, 2021, at 11:16 AM, Juan Hernandez <juanhernandez98@...> wrote:

HI All,

Thanks.

Dan Longmore

Hi,

Webroot is good on resources however interaction with JAWS is not the best.  However I have found it useable and not causing interference in terms of program interaction or using needed resources.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Juan Hernandez
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 2:17 PM
Subject: antivirus software

HI All,

Thanks.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Juan.  You can't go much wrong with Windows Security/defender.  Other antiVirus software tend to hog your pc's resources in a big way, and to uninstall some of them can be a pain in the back orifice.  As long as you let it do it's job of regularly scanning your pc and updating itself, it causes very few headaches.  Yes you might run into trouble installing programs that are not Microsoft certified, but if it is legal, the most pain you'll get is just to choose to run it or not.  Other than that, I've had no severe problems, personally in letting it just control my pc's security.  Of course it is not perfect, but it's the best, insufferable, security software out there.  Cheers!

On 29/4/2021 2:16 am, Juan Hernandez wrote:

HI All,

Thanks.

I, too, recommend Windows Security and it's all I recommend these days to clients, whether they're screen reader users or not.

Look at the most recent testing results from the following antivirus/security testing labs, along with the historical results from the past several years if you want to see how Windows Security/Defender has been performing.  Windows Security has been solidly in the top 10, often top 5, and frequently beats out several well-known competitors that one must pay for.

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs  (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas  (360 Protection Testing Category)

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

val and david paul <valanddavidp@...>

Wouldn't use anything else and reccomend windows security every time.

Val.

On 28/04/2021 22:15, Brian Vogel wrote:
I, too, recommend Windows Security and it's all I recommend these days to clients, whether they're screen reader users or not.

Look at the most recent testing results from the following antivirus/security testing labs, along with the historical results from the past several years if you want to see how Windows Security/Defender has been performing.  Windows Security has been solidly in the top 10, often top 5, and frequently beats out several well-known competitors that one must pay for.

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs  (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas  (360 Protection Testing Category)

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide