moderated An anoying letter that comes up in the address bar of Google chrome browser.

Albert Cutolo

Good evening everyone, 

When I go into my google chrome’s address bar too type a search, there is a letter a that comes up which I can’t get rid of, even when  I try using the delete key on my dell  laptop computer. No matter how many times I try deleting that a letter, its still appears.  I’ve gone into the settings for chrome, deleted history, cash cookies and passwords and also did a clear all data.  How can I get rid of that a letter?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and advice, 

Al

Bill White

Hi, Albert. You Can't. It happens to everyone, but it doesn't interfere with the search.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 5:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: An anoying letter that comes up in the address bar of Google chrome browser.

Good evening everyone, 

When I go into my google chrome’s address bar too type a search, there is a letter a that comes up which I can’t get rid of, even when  I try using the delete key on my dell  laptop computer. No matter how many times I try deleting that a letter, its still appears.  I’ve gone into the settings for chrome, deleted history, cash cookies and passwords and also did a clear all data.  How can I get rid of that a letter?

Al

Tom Behler

Al:

I’ve also noticed this recently.

The letter “A” always pops up in the Google Chrome address bar.

I’ve tried to get rid of it too, but have had no luck so far.

I’m now getting to the point where I just ignore it and move on.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 8:44 PM
Subject: An anoying letter that comes up in the address bar of Google chrome browser.

Good evening everyone, 

Al

T. Civitello

Brave has the same annoying occurrence.  Tom

Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2022 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: An anoying letter that comes up in the address bar of Google chrome browser.

Al:

I’ve also noticed this recently.

The letter “A” always pops up in the Google Chrome address bar.

I’ve tried to get rid of it too, but have had no luck so far.

I’m now getting to the point where I just ignore it and move on.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 8:44 PM

Good evening everyone, 

When I go into my google chrome’s address bar too type a search, there is a letter a that comes up which I can’t get rid of, even when  I try using the delete key on my dell  laptop computer. No matter how many times I try deleting that a letter, its still appears.  I’ve gone into the settings for chrome, deleted history, cash cookies and passwords and also did a clear all data.  How can I get rid of that a letter?

Al

Marty Hutchings

Yes, I have one too.  It is an S.  I can't delete it.

On 4/6/2022 7:43 PM, Albert Cutolo wrote:

Good evening everyone, 

Al

-- 
Thanks,
Lion Marty Hutchings
BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison
(262) 605-8981
mhutchings152730@...
www.wisconsinbold.com

techsavi.shankar@...

What I have observed is once start typing the term in the address bar, the letter “A” will be deleted/disappeared.

But, still it’s a bug.

This email I d is used only for list subscriptions.

Thanks and regards.

Shankar.C

For offline comminucations please reach-out  on below shared details.

Mobile/whatsapp: 7795927572.

Email: shankar.c@....

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: 07 April 2022 08:27 AM
Subject: Re: An anoying letter that comes up in the address bar of Google chrome browser.

Yes, I have one too.  It is an S.  I can't delete it.

On 4/6/2022 7:43 PM, Albert Cutolo wrote:

Good evening everyone, 

Al

-- 
Thanks,
Lion Marty Hutchings
BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison
(262) 605-8981
mhutchings152730@...
www.wisconsinbold.com

I am seriously wondering whether this is a bug in Google Chrome or something else.

If the character were "actually there" (and I am NOT saying you're not having it announced) it should screw up what you're typing were it to be included in the URL, and I doubt it would necessarily be selected by default.

For those of you who may have sighted assistants available, ask them whether the letter you're hearing is actually visible in the address bar.  It would be interesting to know if it is actually something that can be seen or some weird artifact of the interaction between screen reader and Google Chrome.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Bill White

Hi, Brian. I suspect that you are right and it is a weird artifact of the interaction between screen reader and Google Chrome. When I tried using Narrator with Chrome, it wouldn't read what is in the Address Bar, so I can't verrify how Narrator reacts with the address bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 9:03 PM

I am seriously wondering whether this is a bug in Google Chrome or something else.

If the character were "actually there" (and I am NOT saying you're not having it announced) it should screw up what you're typing were it to be included in the URL, and I doubt it would necessarily be selected by default.

For those of you who may have sighted assistants available, ask them whether the letter you're hearing is actually visible in the address bar.  It would be interesting to know if it is actually something that can be seen or some weird artifact of the interaction between screen reader and Google Chrome.
--

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

I think it is a bug in Chrome, because I get it, but I ignore it.

Is there some underlined A by the address bar field by any chance? You’d be able to tell us that as a sighted person. If there is, JAWS could be mistakenly reading it as if it were a shortcut, like Alt A or something.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 07 April 2022 05:03

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Steve Nutt

Hi Bill,

You can get Narrator to read the address bar, if you alt tab away from, and back to, Chrome once you’ve opened it. It seems that Narrator doesn’t recognise that you’ve opened a program when you launch Chrome, and thinks it’s still on the desktop. I have reported this bug to the Narrator team.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 07 April 2022 05:15

Hi, Brian. I suspect that you are right and it is a weird artifact of the interaction between screen reader and Google Chrome. When I tried using Narrator with Chrome, it wouldn't read what is in the Address Bar, so I can't verrify how Narrator reacts with the address bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Mike Pietruk

Brian

you raise a good point. Out of curiosity, I brought up the last version
of Window-Eyes, We9.54, which does exactly the same thing -- which, of
course, was released a good number of years ago.
Guess what, it does the same thing.
So, I doubt that this is a true JFW bug but perhaps one of interaction
with another program, in this instance, Chrome.
Once again, it's a nusiance which confuses; but, if the JAWS user knows
what is going on, it should be a non-issue.
For the casual or beginner JAWS user, of course, this is going to be
totally confusing.

I am guessing that if this were an easy fix, it would long ago have been
taken care of.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 05:27 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Is there some underlined A by the address bar field by any chance? You’d be able to tell us that as a sighted person. If there is, JAWS could be mistakenly reading it as if it were a shortcut, like Alt A or something.
-
Steve,

The reason I suggested getting a sighted assistant for those who are having the issue is that I have never, as yet, either seen it nor heard it.  This topic is the one and only instance I am aware of where this issue has ever been mentioned.  And I tend to remember "quirky issues" such as this one even from long ago.

I'm very curious as to what the actual root cause may be.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Bill White

Hi, Steve. I opened Chrome with Narrator, pressed CONTROL plus L for the address bar, tabbed away, and back to Chrome, and Narrator still wouldn't read the Chrome address bar, when I would put in a URL.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2022 2:28 AM

Hi Bill,

You can get Narrator to read the address bar, if you alt tab away from, and back to, Chrome once you’ve opened it. It seems that Narrator doesn’t recognise that you’ve opened a program when you launch Chrome, and thinks it’s still on the desktop. I have reported this bug to the Narrator team.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 07 April 2022 05:15

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

--

~ Lauren Bacall

ratshtron

hmmm,, I hear the letter a when loading chrome but it actually isn't there. I paste my link in and chrome goes to the link with no problem. so its my guess that jaws is speaking a ghost letter, lol!

Legend has it that on Wednesday 4/6/2022 07:43 PM, Albert Cutolo said:
----------------------------------------

Good evening everyone,

When I go into my google chrome's address bar too type a search, there is a letter a that comes up which I can't get rid of, even when I try using the delete key on my dell laptop computer. No matter how many times I try deleting that a letter, its still appears. I've gone into the settings for chrome, deleted history, cash cookies and passwords and also did a clear all data. How can I get rid of that a letter?

Al

Lori Lynn

Brian,

I too encounter the “A” regularly. Since it doesn’t affect the address, I’m typing I’ve chosen to ignore it. After reading the message below I did ask someone to take a look and see if the mysterious A was there or not. It definitely is not.

Right or wrong, the conclusion I’ve drawn is that it has something to do with either JAWS or Chrome coding. As I said, it doesn’t affect what I’m typing so I’m going to ignore it.

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 11:03 PM

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I'm not hearing that at all, so something odd is going on here.

All the best

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of ratshtron
Sent: 07 April 2022 17:47
Subject: Re: An anoying letter that comes up in the address bar of Google
chrome browser.

hmmm,, I hear the letter a when loading chrome but it actually isn't there.
I paste my link in and chrome goes to the link with no problem. so its my
guess that jaws is speaking a ghost letter, lol!

Good evening everyone,

When I go into my google chrome's address bar too type a search, there
is a letter a that comes up which I can't get rid of, even when I try
using the delete key on my dell laptop computer. No matter how many
times I try deleting that a letter, its still appears. I've gone into
the settings for chrome, deleted history, cash cookies and passwords
and also did a clear all data. How can I get rid of that a letter?

Al

Bill White

Hi, Steve. This is when in the Address bar of Chrome, using CONTROL plus L,
not the Google search bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Friday, April 8, 2022 4:55 AM
chrome browser.

Hi,

I'm not hearing that at all, so something odd is going on here.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of ratshtron
Sent: 07 April 2022 17:47
chrome browser.

hmmm,, I hear the letter a when loading chrome but it actually isn't there.
I paste my link in and chrome goes to the link with no problem. so its my
guess that jaws is speaking a ghost letter, lol!

Good evening everyone,

When I go into my google chrome's address bar too type a search, there
is a letter a that comes up which I can't get rid of, even when I try
using the delete key on my dell laptop computer. No matter how many
times I try deleting that a letter, its still appears. I've gone into
the settings for chrome, deleted history, cash cookies and passwords
and also did a clear all data. How can I get rid of that a letter?

Al