Topics

moderated Amazon checkout with JAWS 2020

Press Alt + D to go to the address bar, then tab once and if Immersive Reader is available that simple key combination will put you right on the icon and enter or spacebar will activate it.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 7:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Amazon checkout with JAWS 2020

Does JAWS announce the Immersive reader speaker icon? If not how do we activate  it?

Glenn / Lenny

I had that problem too, I hated the way the accessible site gives you so little info and I had to clear my cookies to get back to a normal page too.
I later found a link at the bottom of the page that would have done the same thing and didn't like that I wasted a day trying to get the normal pages back.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 9:30 AM

I think once when I tried the accessibility site it was like that and I was wondering why the accessibility should in a way be less accessible by not providing headings and such. I never went back to it and I think I even had to clear my browser cache and delete history and cookies to get rid of it.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 10:43 PM

Yes, it is strange.

If one of my regular web searches takes me to an Amazon page with a variety of results, then I have the headings, but not from the Amazon search.

They are links and numbered, like #1, #2, etc.

I can search the page for the number sign and press F3 to move down the page though.

Glenn

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 12:38 AM

Hi Glen,

I am surprised you don’t get headings for the search results. Below is a bunch of Jaws speech history, as an example, I searched for “Logitech MK540”, one of Logitech’s mouse/keyboard combos. After I typed the search term I went to the top of the page, cleared the Jaws history and then pressed first 1 to go to the heading level 1 which gives me information about the search results, then I press 2 repeatedly, each time it goes to the next search result and I did not edit the below at all:

1-16 of 30 results for "Logitech MK540"
Sort by: Featured heading level 1‑ Combo box‑
Logitech MK540 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo heading level 2‑ Link‑
Logitech MK545 ADVANCED Wireless Combo, English (920-008695) heading level 2‑ Link‑
Logitech MK270 Wireless Combo, English (920-004536) heading level 2‑ Link‑
Logitech MK360 Wireless Combo, English (920-003376) heading level 2‑ Link‑
Logitech Cordless Desktop MK335 Keyboard and Mouse Combo, 1 Count heading level 2‑ Link‑
Amazon Basics Wireless Computer Keyboard and Mouse Combo - Full Size - US Layout (QWERTY) heading level 2‑ Link

I am using Windows 10, latest public version of Edge and Jaws 2020 latest version, but this has worked like this for me for longer than I can remember or maybe I should say I can’t remember this not being like this.

I did, by the way, copy the exact link to that page and plugged it into the address bar of IE and I still had the same headings.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 10:18 PM

I usually don't search for items from Amazon with the Amazon search, because it will display its results without headings, and although I can list links, you don't get as much description in the list links dialog.

So I usually do a web search for something with the first word being Amazon.com and that will find lots of Amazon.com links for whatever I'm looking for.

Glenn

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 12:11 AM

I haven’t noticed a change in the Amazon website in a very long time and I am honestly baffled why several people say that “lately” it seems to get more difficult and yet others basically say what I have said which is that they have no problems search for product, moving through the search results (heading level 2 will do that) and checking out after adding an item or several items to the cart.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Abraham Sweiss
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 5:19 PM

I agree with this comment. Seems to be getting more difficult to use the website.

Thanks,abraham 

On Feb 23, 2020, at 5:47 PM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

I don’t use the accessible site. It doesn’t have everything the main site has. But I’m finding it harder to check out once I find what I want. But I can still muddle through. Just takes me longer than it used to.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 3:27 PM

agree

I use the main site myself just purchased something actually several items with out any issues using the main site

On 2/23/2020 11:39 AM, Adrian Spratt wrote:

Whether or not this has changed, we don’t want to encourage websites to create separate accessible versions. They will invariably lag the main website.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of The Wolf
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 11:29 AM

on the accessible site as far as I can tell you don't get access to the markit place and the part of the shopping where you can get items from other cellars

has this changed?

On 2/23/2020 8:42 AM, Richard Turner wrote:

Its not you.

Amazon is broken, and has been for a couple of months.

You might try their accessibility site: www.amazon.com/access

But no promises there.

On their site they have a customer service toll free number, I’d call that as well.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 6:57 AM
Subject: Amazon checkout with JAWS 2020

Has the Amazon checkout become more complicated or is it just me?

When I use Firefox, I get to the checkout part and I get a message that says there was an error. When I use IE I can get through it, but it still seems more difficult. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks.

Shirley