moderated Am I in forms mode?

Mark

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Mark,

As far as I know there's no shortcut to detect forms mode. But it's no problem to write a script doing this job.

If you are interested in this script let me know and I'll share this in this list and describe how to install.

Best wishes
Udo

Am 27.02.2021 um 04:34 schrieb Mark <mweiler@...>:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

Mike B

If you assign sounds for when forms mode opens and closes this will tell you.  This can be done in the Settings Center.  If you need steps just let the list know.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

As far as I know there's no shortcut to detect forms mode. But it's no problem to write a script doing this job.

If you are interested in this script let me know and I'll share this in this list and describe how to install.

Best wishes
Udo

Am 27.02.2021 um 04:34 schrieb Mark <mweiler@...>:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

Mario

I'd be interested to see the script. email me off list if other members object as this is not the list for scripting in JAWS.

Am 27.02.2021 um 04:34 schrieb Mark <mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca
<mailto:mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca>>:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

CJ &AA MAY

I’d like to know how to enable sounds for forms mode please. Jaws often does make a sound when I enter an edit field, but not always, for example, the editfield in Zoom so I never now whether I can type in the password or not.

Alison

If you assign sounds for when forms mode opens and closes this will tell you.  This can be done in the Settings Center.  If you need steps just let the list know.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

As far as I know there's no shortcut to detect forms mode. But it's no problem to write a script doing this job.

If you are interested in this script let me know and I'll share this in this list and describe how to install.

Best wishes

Udo

Am 27.02.2021 um 04:34 schrieb Mark <mweiler@...>:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

Mark

Hi Udo, if you would share the script and how to install it, that would be greatly appreciate.  I think it would be fine to share on this list. Scripts are part of enhancing the JAWS experience.

Mark

Alison, it sounds like you may have sounds mode activated already.  I'm not sure why it's inconsistent in Zoom though. However, the way I do it is open the JAWS setting centre, then search for Forms Mode Sounds. Then F6 to settings pane, then tab to the Enable Sound Notifications checkbox.  Select it. Once it's selected, two buttons become available immediately following it. The first is to select the sound for entering forms mode. The second is for selecting the sound for when leaving forms mode.  Activating the buttons will cause a dialog with list view of sounds to appear, along with 4 buttons, including a play button and browse button if you want to add your own sound effect.

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Mark & list members,

no problem, I will support a download link soon and writing a "read me" file with installation instructions.

Meanwhile can someone please help me out? I'm not using the English version of JAWS. I can change the language in JAWS and getting the English names of menus and controls but if I select the "Utilities" entry in menu bar and the "Explore Utilities Folder" JAWS will open an Explorer window with file links. This file links are not in English and I don't know the exact name of a particular file link opening the settings folder. It must be something similar to "Explore my settings". Can someone please tell me the exact name so I can write it down in the "Read me" file? And for my records there is a file link also leading to script folder, I think it must be something similar to "Explore my scripts". Can someone please tell me the exact name as well?

Thanks in advance
Udo

Am 28.02.2021 um 13:31 schrieb Mark <mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca>:

Hi Udo, if you would share the script and how to install it, that would be greatly appreciate. I think it would be fine to share on this list. Scripts are part of enhancing the JAWS experience.

CJ &AA MAY

Many thanks for this. I will check it out. You may be right and it might already be enabled, and like you, I don’t know why in Zoom I don’t get the sound when looking for the password editfield.

Alison

Alison, it sounds like you may have sounds mode activated already.  I'm not sure why it's inconsistent in Zoom though. However, the way I do it is open the JAWS setting centre, then search for Forms Mode Sounds. Then F6 to settings pane, then tab to the Enable Sound Notifications checkbox.  Select it. Once it's selected, two buttons become available immediately following it. The first is to select the sound for entering forms mode. The second is for selecting the sound for when leaving forms mode.  Activating the buttons will cause a dialog with list view of sounds to appear, along with 4 buttons, including a play button and browse button if you want to add your own sound effect.

Mark

Here are the two folder numbers

Explore My Settings
Explore Scripts

Mario

Allison, when typing the password in Zoom, this is one instance where it isn't necessary to activate forms mode. simply type the password and press enter or continue as needed to activate the join button.

As far as I know there's no shortcut to detect forms mode. But it's no
problem to write a script doing this job.

If you are interested in this script let me know and I'll share this in
this list and describe how to install.

Best wishes

Udo

Am 27.02.2021 um 04:34 schrieb Mark <mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca
<mailto:mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca>>:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

CJ &AA MAY

Really? OK, perhaps I'll stop fretting then.
Alison

Allison, when typing the password in Zoom, this is one instance where it
isn't necessary to activate forms mode. simply type the password and press
enter or continue as needed to activate the join button.

As far as I know there's no shortcut to detect forms mode. But it's no
problem to write a script doing this job.

If you are interested in this script let me know and I'll share this in this
list and describe how to install.

Best wishes

Udo

Am 27.02.2021 um 04:34 schrieb Mark <mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca
<mailto:mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca>>:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Mark & list members,

@Mark:
thank you very much for telling me the correct names.

@All:
I've put the script together with the "Read Me" file into a cloud storage. You can download both files there. Please let me know if something isn't clear so I can change this. The cloud storage is located in Switzerland so I don't know if the text will be in English. If you have trouble downloading please let me know and I mail the source code of the script in this list. Sometimes mailing source code is leading to trouble because mail clients sometimes combine two lines of text into one single line. This leads to compiler error messages so I prefer to give you the whole file to download.

You can find the download here:

Please keep in mind: Use my scripts always at your own risk.
Udo

Am 28.02.2021 um 16:58 schrieb Mark <mweiler@...>:

Here are the two folder numbers

Explore My Settings
Explore Scripts

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,
I know the script was not very difficult to implement, but there is already something quite similar built into JAWS.
The keystroke alt-numlock period will tell you the active cursor. Sometimes this gives more information than one would want, but if it says
“PC Cursor” or forms
, then you will be in a mode where most characters are sent directly to the web page.

This script is called SayActiveCursor if you would like to bind it do a different keystroke.

Jonathan Cohn

On Feb 26, 2021, at 10:34 PM, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

Mike B

I'm assuming the keystroke you've given is for the laptop layout but, the Active Cursor keystroke for desktop layout is, Alt + Delete.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I know the script was not very difficult to implement, but there is already something quite similar built into JAWS.
The keystroke alt-numlock period will tell you the active cursor. Sometimes this gives more information than one would want, but if it says
“PC Cursor” or forms
, then you will be in a mode where most characters are sent directly to the web page.

This script is called SayActiveCursor if you would like to bind it do a different keystroke.

Jonathan Cohn

On Feb 26, 2021, at 10:34 PM, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Is there a short cut that will tell me if I'm in forms mode or not?

Mark

It's nice to have a keystroke do one thing, like Udo's script does.

I'm surprised something dedicated to letting the user know if forms mode is on or off isn't already built into JAWS. It seems really important to me.

If forms mode is on but you think it's off and so press enter thinking it will activate forms mode, might you accidentally submit the form?

Bill White

Hi, Mark. If you have forms mode set to manual, and forms mode is not currently active or on, and you arrow up and down past a form field, it will say Edit combo. If you are actually in forms mode, and you arrow up and down while forms mode is on, you will not be able to arrow up and down, except if there are more forms fields adjacent to the field you are in. Even then, it will not say edit combo unless forms mode is not currently active.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...