moderated Alt Key Not Working for Accessing Menus

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

I am a tech instructor, and from time to time, I get a client whose Alt key acts strangely. That is, when they press the Alt key, the ribbon or dropdown menus do not appear. When I ask them to press Alt in combination with another key (for example, Alt H for the Home tab), it works. But this inconsistency is annoying. All are using up to date versions of JAWS, Windows 10, and MS Office, so outdated software is not the problem. If I remember correctly, we also tried temporarily switching to Narrator, but that didn’t do anything. It also didn’t matter whether we used the left or the right Alt key. In some cases, rebooting the computer worked, at least for some time, in other cases, it didn’t help at all. Any suggestions on how to fix this obnoxious problem?

Thanks,

David

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi David,

First thing I would try is to shutdown JAWS and pressing the Alt key to find out if JAWS causes this problem. Maybe there's a sighted person around to check this or your client restarts JAWS immediately after pressing the Alt key in office so JAWS can detect if the Ribbons are activated. Another possibility if you can't find sighted help is to make a screenshot after pressing the Alt key.

If this is a JAWS problem I would activate the alternate user by pressing JAWS+Space then Z (this is the shortcut in Germany I hope it's the same on English versions). This temporally sets back the settings to find out if a settings causes this problem. You can press the shortcut again to get back to the user's settings.

General questions:

Do you know if the ribbons are visible on screen?
Do you know which apps are running in the background (anti-virus apps or similar)?
Is it possible to test the scenario with another screenreader like NVDA?

Hope this helps a little..

Good luck in finding the problem
Udo

Am 29.12.2021 um 17:37 schrieb David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...>:

[...]

Curtis Chong

Hello David:

May I assume here that you have already determined that the ribbon is not collapsed? I have actually experienced this problem a lot but resolve this by not tapping Alt but by pressing Alt with H instead to get to the Home Tab. This is one of many inconsistencies that new students find confusing with JAWS<smile>.

Curtis