Topics

moderated Alt F4 Frozen

Don Walls

Yesterday a friend helped me fill in the province of British Columbia's speculation tax form online. He ran into a snag, so started again with a fresh format and we sent the completed form off. I could not close the first form but shut down the computer. I don't know if it's related, but since then I cannot close Word files or emails. I can open and read them and move them, but I can't close them. If I'm in my email list, I can use Alt tab to get out of an open email, then delete or move it, but the open email is still there. I assume that somehow I've frozen the Alt F4 function. My only resort is to shut down the computer. When I start it up again, emails I've deleted both from In and Deleted folders reappear. Any thoughts?

I'm using Windows 10 and JAWS 17, though I plan to purchase JAWS 2020 in a few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

What kind of keyboard do you have?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 9:19 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Alt F4 Frozen

Yesterday a friend helped me fill in the province of British Columbia's speculation tax form online. He ran into a snag, so started again with a fresh format and we sent the completed form off. I could not close the first form but shut down the computer. I don't know if it's related, but since then I cannot close Word files or emails. I can open and read them and move them, but I can't close them. If I'm in my email list, I can use Alt tab to get out of an open email, then delete or move it, but the open email is still there. I assume that somehow I've frozen the Alt F4 function. My only resort is to shut down the computer. When I start it up again, emails I've deleted both from In and Deleted folders reappear. Any thoughts?

I'm using Windows 10 and JAWS 17, though I plan to purchase JAWS 2020 in a few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Don Walls

I'm not sure what model of keyboard I have. It has a number pad, if that's what you're asking.

Don

Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: Alt F4 Frozen

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Abraham Sweiss

Are you able to use alt +4 to kill other applications?

Are you able to kill the problematic apps using the task manager and task function?

Thanks,abraham

On Feb 22, 2020, at 2:06 AM, Don Walls <donwalls@...> wrote:

I'm not sure what model of keyboard I have. It has a number pad, if that's what you're asking.

Don

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

I was asking because some keyboards have a switch or button which locks the function keys and yet others like the Logitech K780 require you to press also the FN key along with any other key combination, e.g. without Logitech Options software installed where you can tell the function keys to behave normally, you would have to press FN + Alt + F4.
Another question I would have is whether this is on a laptop or a desktop? If it's on a laptop, does Alt + F4 work if you use the laptop's keyboard?
Lastly, are other function key shortcuts working, e.g. Jaws Key + F7 to pull up a list of links on a website or even just Jaws Key + F10 for a list of open applications or Jaws Key + F11 to speak the time?

Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 11:07 PM

Don

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Don Walls

I'm using a desktop computer. Last night I could use JAWS key plus F12 to get time as usual. Now I've tried that plus other key combinations with the JAWS key and none of them works.

Don

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 7:59 AM

I was asking because some keyboards have a switch or button which locks the function keys and yet others like the Logitech K780 require you to press also the FN key along with any other key combination, e.g. without Logitech Options software installed where you can tell the function keys to behave normally, you would have to press FN + Alt + F4.
Another question I would have is whether this is on a laptop or a desktop? If it's on a laptop, does Alt + F4 work if you use the laptop's keyboard?
Lastly, are other function key shortcuts working, e.g. Jaws Key + F7 to pull up a list of links on a website or even just Jaws Key + F10 for a list of open applications or Jaws Key + F11 to speak the time?

Don

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Rick Mladek

Don,

Is your keyboard wireless? If so, I am thinking it is time to change the batteries... give this a shout. This happens to me when this is the issue... some keys work and others here and there..

If you do have wireless and can move the usb receiver to a new port, that may also add to this problem.

Rick

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 12:53 PM

I'm using a desktop computer. Last night I could use JAWS key plus F12 to get time as usual. Now I've tried that plus other key combinations with the JAWS key and none of them works.

Don

Another question I would have is whether this is on a laptop or a desktop?
If it's on a laptop, does Alt + F4 work if you use the laptop's keyboard?

Don

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Don Walls

Rick, thanks for your suggestions. No, my keyboard is wired.

Don

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 9:56 AM

Don,

Is your keyboard wireless? If so, I am thinking it is time to change the batteries... give this a shout. This happens to me when this is the issue... some keys work and others here and there..

If you do have wireless and can move the usb receiver to a new port, that may also add to this problem.

Rick

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 12:53 PM

Don

Don

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Don Walls

Thanks for your response. I can't use F4 with other functions. Not sure what task manager is or how to use it.

Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 11:19 PM

Are you able to kill the problematic apps using the task manager and task function?

Thanks,abraham

Don

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Richard Turner

For the task manager, press control+alt+delete and then press alt+t.
You hopefully will land on the processes tab.
Then, you can arrow down through the running applications/processes.
If you know one is misbehaving, press alt+e or tab to end process and press enter, then enter again and it should kill that process.

HTH,

Richard

πŸ–– Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:02 AM

Thanks for your response. I can't use F4 with other functions. Not sure what task manager is or how to use it.

Are you able to kill the problematic apps using the task manager and task
function?

Thanks,abraham

I'm not sure what model of keyboard I have. It has a number pad, if
that's what you're asking.

Don

Yesterday a friend helped me fill in the province of British Columbia's
speculation tax form online. He ran into a snag, so started again with a
fresh format and we sent the completed form off. I could not close the
first form but shut down the computer. I don't know if it's related, but
since then I cannot close Word files or emails. I can open and read them
and move them, but I can't close them. If I'm in my email list, I can use
Alt tab to get out of an open email, then delete or move it, but the open
email is still there. I assume that somehow I've frozen the Alt F4
function. My only resort is to shut down the computer. When I start it
up again, emails I've deleted both from In and Deleted folders reappear.
Any thoughts?

I'm using Windows 10 and JAWS 17, though I plan to purchase JAWS 2020 in a
few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

David Griffith

To open Task Manager I have always used control shift and escape as a single shortcut in all versions of Windows.

I just tried the key sequence you suggested and I am afraid it did not work for me. It appeared to take e m into a locked screen sequence and pressing alt T did not take me anywhere.
I managed to escape out of it though.
David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 22 February 2020 18:15

If you know one is misbehaving, press alt+e or tab to end process and press enter, then enter again and it should kill that process.

HTH,

Richard

function?

Thanks,abraham

Don

Any thoughts?

few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Don Walls

I should havehave noted that when I hit alt F4 what comes up is "upper ribbon."

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:15 AM

HTH,

Richard

function?

Thanks,abraham

Don

Any thoughts?

few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Richard Turner

It is nice that windows provides several ways to do the same thing.
I've always used control+alt+delete then alt+t, old habits die hard you know.
Control+shift+escape is obviously easier.

I will try and get that in my brain/fingers.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:24 AM

To open Task Manager I have always used control shift and escape as a single shortcut in all versions of Windows.

I just tried the key sequence you suggested and I am afraid it did not work for me. It appeared to take e m into a locked screen sequence and pressing alt T did not take me anywhere.
I managed to escape out of it though.
David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 22 February 2020 18:15

HTH,

Richard

Check out my web site at: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C221041d61eaf4d109b8f08d7b7c46afa%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637179926535930378&amp;sdata=tD%2BE5DsTIFYWPh1az5PYh1eXlz5SgNRS7fp0n%2BLRzCc%3D&amp;reserved=0

Thanks,abraham

Don

Yesterday a friend helped me fill in the province of British
Columbia's speculation tax form online. He ran into a snag, so
started again with a fresh format and we sent the completed form off.
I could not close the first form but shut down the computer. I don't
know if it's related, but since then I cannot close Word files or
emails. I can open and read them and move them, but I can't close
them. If I'm in my email list, I can use Alt tab to get out of an
open email, then delete or move it, but the open email is still there.
I assume that somehow I've frozen the Alt F4 function. My only resort
is to shut down the computer. When I start it up again, emails I've deleted both from In and Deleted folders reappear.
Any thoughts?

I'm using Windows 10 and JAWS 17, though I plan to purchase JAWS 2020
in a few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Richard Turner

Is this on a laptop keyboard?
If so, have you tried an external keyboard?
It sounds like the f4 is being ignored, so if it is a laptop, the function keys may need the FN key pressed to behave normally or you have a defective key somewhere.
Alt by itself brings up the ribbon.
So something is definitely not right.

Richard

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:25 AM

HTH,

Richard

Check out my web site at: https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C9cf8027dd0fb402a4b6608d7b7c4954c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637179927248610537&amp;sdata=xjKtBA0qoO02foYPU5BCrYQsnD3UjXZ5Y%2BfZZ%2BCZ%2BFs%3D&amp;reserved=0

Thanks,abraham

Don

is to shut down the computer. When I start it up again, emails I've deleted both from In and Deleted folders reappear.
Any thoughts?

in a few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Don Walls

I'm using a desktop computer. However, your comment is helpful. Hmm...

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:28 AM

Is this on a laptop keyboard?
If so, have you tried an external keyboard?
It sounds like the f4 is being ignored, so if it is a laptop, the function keys may need the FN key pressed to behave normally or you have a defective key somewhere.
Alt by itself brings up the ribbon.
So something is definitely not right.

Richard

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:25 AM

HTH,

Richard

Check out my web site at: https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C9cf8027dd0fb402a4b6608d7b7c4954c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637179927248610537&amp;sdata=xjKtBA0qoO02foYPU5BCrYQsnD3UjXZ5Y%2BfZZ%2BCZ%2BFs%3D&amp;reserved=0

Thanks,abraham

Don

Any thoughts?

in a few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Jason White

Have you rebooted the system?

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 1:25 PM

HTH,

Richard

Thanks,abraham

Don

Any thoughts?

in a few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 01:50 PM, Jason White wrote:
Have you rebooted the system?
Being sure to do so using Restart if the Fast Startup feature is not disabled (it's enabled by default) on your system.

All it takes is a small, yet critical, corruption in hiberfile.sys, used by Fast Startup, to wreak havoc (which is why I turn that feature off).
Β 
--

BrianΒ -Β Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit,Β Version 1909, Build 18363Β Β 

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  ~ Joshua Liebman

Rick Mladek

Don,

hit control +alt +delete key (above arrow keys)
arrow down to device manager and hit enter
arrow down until you hear programs currently running. Microsoft Word for
example.
If this is what is not being able to close, once you hear the MS Word, hit
tab key until you hear close program and hit enter. It may take a few
attempts hitting the close program button and may also take a few seconds to
close the program. If other programs are needing closed, shift tab back to
the list and arrow up or down until you hear the next program needing
closed. again hit tab until you hear close program and hit enter. Repeat as
needed...

Rick

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 1:02 PM

Thanks for your response. I can't use F4 with other functions. Not sure
what task manager is or how to use it.

function?

Thanks,abraham

Don

Any thoughts?

few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

Maybe your numlock is on.

Pastor Gil

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 9:53 AM

Don

Don

I'd appreciate any help.

Don

Don Walls

When I hit control alt delete, I can get to task manager but not device manager.

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 11:01 AM

Don,

hit control +alt +delete key (above arrow keys)
arrow down to device manager and hit enter
arrow down until you hear programs currently running. Microsoft Word for
example.
If this is what is not being able to close, once you hear the MS Word, hit
tab key until you hear close program and hit enter. It may take a few
attempts hitting the close program button and may also take a few seconds to
close the program. If other programs are needing closed, shift tab back to
the list and arrow up or down until you hear the next program needing
closed. again hit tab until you hear close program and hit enter. Repeat as
needed...

Rick

Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2020 1:02 PM

Thanks for your response. I can't use F4 with other functions. Not sure
what task manager is or how to use it.

function?

Thanks,abraham

Don

Any thoughts?

few weeks.

I'd appreciate any help.

Don