moderated Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document says blank

Gezim Rexha

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Milton Ota

Hi,

Do the following using the JAWS Layered Command:

Press Insert (JAWS Key) followed by the letter V.

Press the letter O.

Then, finally press the letter D.

Do this while you have the empty document opened in the Acrobat Reader.

Be sure that if you are using Windows 10 that you have installed the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC in the 64 bit version. Also, you need to be running the latest version of JAWS for the best possible result.

You can also find more OCR Layered commands when you Press Insert followed by the letter V, then the Questions Mark.

Another way you could scan the blank document is by running File Explorer and going to the folder where the file is located and highlighting it.

Once the file is highlighted, press your application key and arrow down to Convenient OCR with JAWS to Word.

You also have Convenient OCR available in that menu as well.

Hope all this helps.

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Curtis Chong

JAWS should have prompted you to OCR the document. If it did not, something else is going on.

On Jan 11, 2022, at 5:38 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Justin Williams

How do you ocr a document with adobe?

Justin

JAWS should have prompted you to OCR the document. If it did not, something else is going on.

On Jan 11, 2022, at 5:38 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

M Tobia

Assuming that you are running a recent version of Jaws and are using Adobe Reader to open the PDF file, Jaws will perform an automatic OCR and attempt to read the context of the document to you.

I know that Jaws 2021 and 2022 will do the automatic OCR.  I am not certain how far back you need to go when this feature was built into the program.

I had this problem in the past and FS had me perform a Jaws repair and the problem was resolved. Jaws recognizes  that the PDF is a scanned image and attempts to perform an OCR to read the context of the image to you.

Good luck,

Mario

JAWS should have prompted you to OCR the document. If it did not, something else is going on.

On Jan 11, 2022, at 5:38 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Steve Nutt

I think you mean Insert Space, not V for the first command.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Gezim Rexha

I have the latest JAWS, but it is not doing the automatic OCR, because I don’t think that the document is an OCR image, and that is what I find it strange that JAWS is not reading it. What I did was that |I selected and pasted the document to MS Word, and then I was able to read it. Any idea what should I do to make JAWS recognize it?

Best regards,

Gezim

JAWS should have prompted you to OCR the document. If it did not, something else is going on.

On Jan 11, 2022, at 5:38 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Justin Williams

I thought there was a difference between what adobe usually did, and the ocr feature.

I've got a couple of books I'd like to be able to read, and couldn't.  I'll try again with the new jaws.

Justin

I have the latest JAWS, but it is not doing the automatic OCR, because I don’t think that the document is an OCR image, and that is what I find it strange that JAWS is not reading it. What I did was that |I selected and pasted the document to MS Word, and then I was able to read it. Any idea what should I do to make JAWS recognize it?

Best regards,

Gezim

JAWS should have prompted you to OCR the document. If it did not, something else is going on.

On Jan 11, 2022, at 5:38 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Milton Ota

After you opened the file in the Acrobat Reader, Did you try using the layered command to OCR the file and if you did, what was the result?

The Layered command is JAWS Key + Spacebar + V + O + D.

And, if you are looking for help try to respond back as soon as possible.

Milton Ota

ICAN Island Computer Access Now

4273 Coventry Dr., S.

Unit E

Fargo, ND 58104-4498

Ph: (701) 731-0511

Email: mota1252@...

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

I don’t understand how you can paste something into Word from Acrobat Reader which JAWS is not detecting. It is highly possible that Acrobat Reader is displaying the PDF in protected view. This is a setting you can change in the Acrobat Reader preferences.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

I have the latest JAWS, but it is not doing the automatic OCR, because I don’t think that the document is an OCR image, and that is what I find it strange that JAWS is not reading it. What I did was that |I selected and pasted the document to MS Word, and then I was able to read it. Any idea what should I do to make JAWS recognize it?

Best regards,

Gezim

JAWS should have prompted you to OCR the document. If it did not, something else is going on.

On Jan 11, 2022, at 5:38 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Curtis Chong

Justin:

For large documents of late, I have noticed that the PDF reader goes silent while it is attempting to load the entire document into memory. So, if you have a hundred pages, this might take a couple of minutes.

Curtis

[...]

Could you please instruct me step-by-step how to change those preferences?

[...]

If for some reason your Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is not opening a PDF file it is because Secure enhanced mode is not Checked.

Here is how to get to it:

Pull down the Edit Menu;

Arrow up to Preference; and press Enter;

Arrow down to Security (Enhanced Mode);

Tab once and press the spacebar if the checkbox is not check;

Tab to OK and try again to Open the file by Closing the Reader and re-Opening the file.

Also under Accessibility you should be using the default settings.

I have the latest JAWS, but it is not doing the automatic OCR, because I don’t think that the document is an OCR image, and that is what I find it strange that JAWS is not reading it. What I did was that |I selected and pasted the document to MS Word, and then I was able to read it. Any idea what should I do to make JAWS recognize it?

Best regards,

Gezim

JAWS should have prompted you to OCR the document. If it did not, something else is going on.

On Jan 11, 2022, at 5:38 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi list,

I opened an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC document, and JAWS says blank. How can I make JAWS recognize it?

Cheers,

Gezim

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

In Adobe Reader, press Alt e and up arrow to preferences. Press Enter.

Arrow to Enhanced Security and tab. Ensure that protected view is not checked.

Curtis