moderated adding Outlook contacts

Ann Byrne

Where are those addresses stored? When Outlook adds an address for me, I can't find it in contacts.

At 10:11 AM 3/17/2021, you wrote:
John,     You are entirely correct that Outlook and most email clients will "remember" anyone you've either received and email from or sent an email to as far as presenting potential addressees as you type in addition to those you may have stored as contacts.     I only store contacts for people I know I will likely need to contact via some means other than email or if it's someone I contact so seldom that I may not recognize their email address and need to look that up via a contact.--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042 Â

To think is to differ.   ~ Clarence Darrow

Richard Turner

There is a place in Outlook Options, Mail, to have it use the auto complete, or not.
If you press control+3 and are not finding your contacts there, I'd call Microsoft Accessibility and get their help in sorting this out.
800-936-5900

Richard

Ralph's Observation: It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 01:18 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
When Outlook adds an address for me, I can't find it in contacts.
-
The autocomplete addresses are separate from Contacts, though if you use a Contact at any point it will end up being included in your autocomplete list.

I have a definitive answer from someone who is far more expert in Outlook than I am, and he confirms my thesis (and my frustration).  I'll quote his reply and then give a direct link to the topic on Technibble for those who may wish to read through the entire thing:
---------
Autocomplete works off its own list, and is populated by what was put into the To box previously. It doesn't work off your address book, if you want the address book you click the "to" label.

And no, you cannot have contacts be in the "recent" list without use, and it won't ever suggest based on a contact. Which is kind of dumb... but short lived as a problem because use of either Teams or Outlook sorts out autocomplete automatically very quickly.
---------

Outlook (2016 & Later) & email addressing

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 01:14 PM, James Bentley wrote:
Do you happen to know where I can go in Outlook to find this list of addressees that get automatically stored?
-
No, but there's tons of information out there if you care to dig a bit for it.  See the results from https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Outlook+autocomplete+list

Specifically, these Microsoft pages:

Information about the Outlook AutoComplete list - Outlook ...

Manage suggested recipients in the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes ...

Import or copy the Auto-Complete List to another computer ...

and this How To Geek page, for starters:

Manage Your Outlook Email Address Auto-Complete List

There are scads more, but since I don't use Outlook I don't care to dig on this one.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Bill White

Yes, there is. It is in Outlook Options>Mail. He would need to press SHIFT plus TAB about twenty times or TAB about thirty times to reach this setting. It should look something like this,

Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines check box not checked

If it says not checked, he should press SPACE to check the box, then TAB to OK, and press ENTER.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

From: John Covici [mailto:covici@ccs.covici.com]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021, 2:58 PM
Subject: adding Outlook contacts
If you just add the contact and send an Email, after that you will be
able to type the first couple of letters, etc. I am not sure you even
have to make the person a contact to do this.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 14:48:48 -0400,
Mario wrote:

regarding , this is what he told me he wants to do:

"I put the email address in the list.
now I am going to send them a email but I don't want to spell the hole name.
I can just put the first to letters of the name or what numbers or letters.
I do this with chris, I am sending her a email. all I punch in cf
(her first and last name initials) and her
email comes up and I do this with a lot of people that I email a lot
I hope that makes sense."

the verbage between the parentheses is my comment because I know
who the Chris he mentioned is. I don't know how what he is asking
can be accomplished. anyone have a clue?

From: John Covici [mailto:covici@ccs.covici.com]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 11:56 AM
If he types a couple of more letters does that help? The first time
he has to type the complete email address to get it into that list.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:51:01 -0400,
Mario wrote:

I am thinking there is some setting that would allow him to do
that, that might have been somehow been disabled because all he
gets is a ding sound when he attempts to type CF, as he mentioned
in his example. so, still would appreciate a suggestion or better
yet, the solution.

a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and
wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact to his list, and
"also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter
request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't
use Outlook. would someone please help.

.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 02:28 PM, John Covici wrote:
I don't think so, this is a separate list as far as I know.
-
That would be correct.  While a contact will be included in the recently used autocomplete list if you've recently used them (or even not so recently) there is no automatic creation of a Contact from an e-mail address entered in the To/CC/BCC fields under the typical default setup.  There may be a way to have Outlook prompt you as to whether you might want to create one for a new, unknown address, but if so, I don't know how to turn that on.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Outlook has neve rworked for me like this and does not currently. I always type the first letter or two of either the first or last name and that brings up results, but I tried first name and last name initials for 3 different people and for none of them this worked. For example, I have a "Fred Lang", an "Andrea Butenuth" and a "Monika Thomaka" in my contacts, I tried "fl", "ab" and "mt" and while the "fl" brought up a few names where the last name started with Fl", none of these contacts came up whereas when I started typing "fr" Fred Lang came up, "Bu" instantly brought up Andrea Butenuth and either Mo or Th brought up Monika Thomaka.

From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@gmail.com]
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 11:27 AM

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:56 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
For all we know he may have had everybody's initials entered as some sort of nick name or maybe it really worked this way, but it does not in Outlook.
-
And that's it, in a nutshell.   I don't care what he had working "in ancient times" or "with ancient software."   What he wants he cannot get, and will not get, with Outlook.

I think enough people (including yourself) have now said this, in no uncertain terms, that it's really not something that can be argued.

The phrase, "Give it up, already!!," with regard to that wish comes immediately to mind.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow