From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 10:54 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: adding Outlook contacts

a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact to his list, and "also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't use Outlook. would someone please help.

Mario

regarding , this is what he told me he wants to do:

"I put the email address in the list.
now I am going to send them a email but I don't want to spell the hole name.
I can just put the first to letters of the name or what numbers or letters.
I do this with chris, I am sending her a email. all I punch in cf (her first and last name initials) and her
email comes up and I do this with a lot of people that I email a lot
I hope that makes sense."

the verbage between the parentheses is my comment because I know who the Chris he mentioned is. I don't know how what he is asking can be accomplished. anyone have a clue?

a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and
wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact  to his list, and
"also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter
request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't
use Outlook. would someone please help.

.

John Covici

If you just add the contact and send an Email, after that you will be
able to type the first couple of letters, etc. I am not sure you even
have to make the person a contact to do this.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 14:48:48 -0400,
Mario wrote:

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Mario

I am thinking there is some setting that would allow him to do that, that might have been somehow been disabled because all he gets is a ding sound when he attempts to type CF, as he mentioned in his example. so, still would appreciate a suggestion or better yet, the solution.

a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and
wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact to his list, and
"also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter
request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't
use Outlook. would someone please help.

.

Bill White

Hi, Mario. He must type SHIFT plus CONTROL plus C, not just C. Just typing C gives me a ding also.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:51 AM, Mario wrote:
is a ding sound when he attempts to type CF, as he mentioned in his example.
-
And given what's mentioned in the example, that's entirely appropriate.  I used Outlook for years and you were never able to shortcut something with first and last initial.  You could have contacts for "Chris Farley," "Chad Fordd," "Cynthia Feeny," and the list goes on and there would be no way for CF to pick the correct one.  The usual method is typing enough of the name to make either a distinctive single choice or to narrow the choices in the dropdown list that automatically prepopulates below the To:, CC:, or BCC:, fields as you enter characters.

Entering "ch" with the above examples would limit the list to two choices, Farley or Ford, and if you added a third character you'd get "Chris Farley" for an 'r', "Chad Fordd" for an 'a', and nothing if you used any other character.

This system works very similarly across a very large number of email clients.  And if you create contact groups, a contact group is treated no differently than a single contact in terms of it being in a list (or made singular) based on what characters have been entered.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

John,

         You are entirely correct that Outlook and most email clients will "remember" anyone you've either received and email from or sent an email to as far as presenting potential addressees as you type in addition to those you may have stored as contacts.

          I only store contacts for people I know I will likely need to contact via some means other than email or if it's someone I contact so seldom that I may not recognize their email address and need to look that up via a contact.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Mario

Bill, that's not when he gets the ding. he gets it when he attempts to start a new email to someone who is already in the contacts, and instead of typing the recipient's address, he simply wants to type the first and last name initials of that person.

Hi, Mario. He must type SHIFT plus CONTROL plus C, not just C. Just typing C gives me a ding also.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and
wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact to his list, and
"also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter
request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't
use Outlook. would someone please help.

.

.

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi all,

As of fairly recently, to a span of months, I have noticed a capricious behaviour, by which outlook, for no apparent reason, seems to be crossing out addresses it should and used to store to the effect that I have to ask these people send a fresh message. Is this something others have experienced, or is it just me?

                                                                Cheers to all,

                                                                Takis

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 11:20 AM, Mario wrote:
he simply wants to type the first and last name initials of that person.
-
And I'll repeat:  He can't, and he should get exactly what he's getting.  It's been this way for as long as I can remember.  I gave a detailed explanation of how the system actually works.

I have no idea why he believes you can (or could, I've used Outlook at various points in time since the mid-1980s) do this.  You enter the characters of the person's name or e-mail address, never their first and last initials.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Mario

Brian, I understand what you're saying, but he explained to me that's what he could do when he was using Outlook Express when Windows XP was the latest OS. but like you, I was skeptical.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 11:20 AM, Mario wrote:

he simply wants to type the first and last name initials of that person.

-
And I'll repeat:  He can't, and he should get exactly what he's
getting.  It's been this way for as long as I can remember.  I gave a
detailed explanation of how the system actually works.

I have no idea why he believes you can (or could, I've used Outlook at
various points in time since the mid-1980s) do this.  You enter the
characters of the person's name or e-mail address, never their first and
last initials.

/To think is to differ.
/      ~ Clarence Darrow

Mario

Takas, could you send your issue as a new post with a different subject? I think you might have a better chance of someone addressing your issue if it is posted as the start of a new thread/discussion.

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

/To think is to differ.//
/      ~ Clarence Darrow

John Covici

If he types a couple of more letters does that help? The first time
he has to type the complete email address to get it into that list.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:51:01 -0400,
Mario wrote:

I am thinking there is some setting that would allow him to do
that, that might have been somehow been disabled because all he
gets is a ding sound when he attempts to type CF, as he mentioned
in his example. so, still would appreciate a suggestion or better
yet, the solution.

a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and
wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact to his list, and
"also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter
request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't
use Outlook. would someone please help.

.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Albert Cutolo

Good morning Mario,

Perhaps he might do well if he were too call the Microsoft disability answer desk, where they could do a remote screen sharing session with him to see what's going on with his outlook problem. Here's there phone number. 800 (936-5900)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 11:56 AM, John Covici wrote:
The first time he has to type the complete email address to get it into that list.
-
Or click the To/CC/BCC button and use the address selection dialog.

But this is a change, too, from the oldest of the olden days, which has triggered me to ask on one of my tech geek forums about whether there is a way to make Outlook 2016 and later NOT care about whether you've actually received or sent a message to a given address/contact before, but just to show them as you type if what you've typed narrows down to a few in Contacts.

I will report back once I have some definitive information.  That's certainly the behavior I'd prefer, but in testing with Outlook 2016 no name/e-mail address shows up until and unless you've sent something to it, which kinda defeats the purpose of Contacts on any fresh install of Outlook.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Mario

so, if he types the address, will that create a second entry in the contacts? because that entry for the person already exists.

a friend of mine is using Outlook 2016 with JAWS 2021 on Windows 10, and
wants to know the keystrokes for adding a new contact to his list, and
"also putting a short cut key for the name I am adding".

I don't know what he is talking about in reference to his latter
request. nor do I know the answer to his former request since I don't
use Outlook. would someone please help.

.

Mario

thanks Brian. anticipating what results from this inquiry.

[...]

Sure Mario, I just thought it to be relevant to this thread. Take care, Takis

Takas, could you send your issue as a new post with a different subject?
I think you might have a better chance of someone addressing your issue if it is posted as the start of a new thread/discussion.

You are entirely correct that Outlook and most email clients
will "remember" anyone you've either received and email from or sent an
email to as far as presenting potential addressees as you type in
addition to those you may have stored as contacts.

I only store contacts for people I know I will likely need to
contact via some means other than email or if it's someone I contact so
seldom that I may not recognize their email address and need to look
that up via a contact.
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

/To think is to differ.//
/ ~ Clarence Darrow

James Bentley

Hello Brian,

Do you happen to know where I can go in Outlook to find this list of addressees that get automatically stored?

Stay well,

James B