moderated accounting program

Phillip Gross

I have a small business and do my bookkeeping in Excel. I would like to start using some accounting software instead, but I have heard that QuickBooks, which I would have tried first, has some accessibility issues. Is this true, and, if so, what have people on the list found works well with JAWS?

Phillip,

I don’t know how many accounting functions you require for your small business but if it is primarily checkbook related, you might try Money Talks from APH. It doesn’t have receivables, payables, or inventory capability but its checkbook capability is outstanding and is very accessible with JAWS and transferring its detail to Excel is very easy. You can read about it here:

https://tech.aph.org/mt_info.htm

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 11:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: accounting program

I have a small business and do my bookkeeping in Excel. I would like to start using some accounting software instead, but I have heard that QuickBooks, which I would have tried first, has some accessibility issues. Is this true, and, if so, what have people on the list found works well with JAWS?

Phillip Gross

I can't help but wonder if Money Talks has been updated at all. Requirements include Windows 98, a CD ROM, and IE 5.5. It reminded me of going back to college in 2009. I had a professor give me an assignment on a 3.5 floppy written in Word Perfect. It took me longer to dig out a floppy drive than it did to complete the assignment.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I wouldn't mind having something with some invoicing capabilities. 

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

You should look into QuickBooks Online, but this of course does come with a monthly subscription cost.

Intuit has put some effort into improving the accessibility o f QuickBooks Online and it's certainly useable. I am using it for my retail business although I must admit that while I started using it at the beginning of the year I have not yet had time to get myself trained on it. I will very shortly get some help from my accountant because my requirements are a bit more complex than those of some other small businesses. For now my accountant has set up the integration between my point of sale system and QuickBooks Online so every day a lot of information is dumped into QuickBooks from the POS system, but I still have to do some manual work like properly assigning taxes to my supplier invoices which QuickBooks gets from the purchase orders we enter in our POS system and I have to deal with payroll entries and so on. Then there is of course bank reconciliation and recording supplier payments and tax payments. My bank account and business Visa are also connected to QuickBooks so all transactions are already there and just have to be reviewed and posted correctly.

I used Sage 50 for over 20 years and it was never connected to either my POS system or bank so I did all entries manually and while I could use Sage just fine for what I needed I would not say it is fully accessible. I just knew either how many times I had to tab on the home screen to get into a certain module (nothing rads on the home screen) or I would know work-arounds for other issues.

There are also some other online systems, but not sure where you are and if they are available. In Canada there is Wave Accounting which is also strictly an online system and I know some small businesses which use it. QuickBooks Online is nice in that you can invite your accountant to have access so when year-end and such comes around they can simply log in and do what they need to do.

Sent: August 17, 2021 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: accounting program

I can't help but wonder if Money Talks has been updated at all. Requirements include Windows 98, a CD ROM, and IE 5.5. It reminded me of going back to college in 2009. I had a professor give me an assignment on a 3.5 floppy written in Word Perfect. It took me longer to dig out a floppy drive than it did to complete the assignment.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I wouldn't mind having something with some invoicing capabilities. 

While I appreciate your comments, I've never not considered using a product simply because it hasn't been updated recently. I tend to focus on whether the product is accessible and does what I need it to do. Money Talks doesn't do invoicing so won't work for you but it is great for checkbook management and really doesn't need to be updated to continue to be great at that.

Alan Lemly 

with Outlook for iOS

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 12:13:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Phillip!

I have heard that QuickBooks *online* is fairly accessible, but it costs money on a sliding scale based on your needs.  Also, see the below link to “Wave,” which is likewise reputed to be accessible.  I have not tried either.  However, Wave is free for basic needs, and then costs money on a sliding scale too.

https://www.waveapps.com/accounting

For various reasons, I dislike QB.  Soon, I am going to try Wave.  For a number of reasons, I am drawn to it.

HTH,

Richard

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 9:11 PM

Mario

I recall an interview with Larry Skutchan in which he did mention that it does still work in Windows 10.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 12:12 PM
While I appreciate your comments, I've never not considered using a
product simply because it hasn't been updated recently. I tend to focus
on whether the product is accessible and does what I need it to do.
Money Talks doesn't do invoicing so won't work for you but it is great
for checkbook management and really doesn't need to be updated to
continue to be great at that.

Alan Lemly

with Outlook <https://aka.ms/qtex0l> for iOS
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Phillip
Gross <phillip_gross@outlook.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, August 18, 2021 12:13:09 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: accounting program
I can't help but wonder if Money Talks has been updated at all.
Requirements include Windows 98, a CD ROM, and IE 5.5. It reminded me of
going back to college in 2009. I had a professor give me an assignment
on a 3.5 floppy written in Word Perfect. It took me longer to dig out a
floppy drive than it did to complete the assignment.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I wouldn't mind having something with
some invoicing capabilities.

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Money Talks does indeed work just fine in Windows 10. As a checkbook
register, it does a beautiful job. I am an enthusiastic supporter of the
program. I myself am managing at least three separate registers with Money
Talks. Terrific program. Works great with JAWS.

Very truly yours,

Curtis Chong

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 9:26 AM

I recall an interview with Larry Skutchan in which he did mention that
it does still work in Windows 10.

While I appreciate your comments, I've never not considered using a
product simply because it hasn't been updated recently. I tend to focus
on whether the product is accessible and does what I need it to do.
Money Talks doesn't do invoicing so won't work for you but it is great
for checkbook management and really doesn't need to be updated to
continue to be great at that.

Alan Lemly

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Phillip
Gross <phillip_gross@outlook.com>
going back to college in 2009. I had a professor give me an assignment
on a 3.5 floppy written in Word Perfect. It took me longer to dig out a
floppy drive than it did to complete the assignment.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I wouldn't mind having something with
some invoicing capabilities.

Mario,

Yes, Money Talks works very well with Windows 10.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 10:26 AM

I recall an interview with Larry Skutchan in which he did mention that it
does still work in Windows 10.

To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> While I appreciate your
comments, I've never not considered using a product simply because it hasn't
been updated recently. I tend to focus on whether the product is accessible
and does what I need it to do.
Money Talks doesn't do invoicing so won't work for you but it is great for
checkbook management and really doesn't need to be updated to continue to be
great at that.

Alan Lemly

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Phillip Gross
<phillip_gross@outlook.com>
going back to college in 2009. I had a professor give me an assignment on a
3.5 floppy written in Word Perfect. It took me longer to dig out a floppy
drive than it did to complete the assignment.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I wouldn't mind having something with some
invoicing capabilities.

Anita

On Aug 19, 2021, at 4:51 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Mario,

Yes, Money Talks works very well with Windows 10.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 10:26 AM

I recall an interview with Larry Skutchan in which he did mention that it
does still work in Windows 10.

To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> While I appreciate your
comments, I've never not considered using a product simply because it hasn't
been updated recently. I tend to focus on whether the product is accessible
and does what I need it to do.
Money Talks doesn't do invoicing so won't work for you but it is great for
checkbook management and really doesn't need to be updated to continue to be
great at that.

Alan Lemly

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Phillip Gross
<phillip_gross@...>
going back to college in 2009. I had a professor give me an assignment on a
3.5 floppy written in Word Perfect. It took me longer to dig out a floppy
drive than it did to complete the assignment.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I wouldn't mind having something with some
invoicing capabilities.

I use to have that program, but it was destroyed byHurricane Florence. Is there anyway to regain access in another way?
Thanks,
Anita 

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

cash manager is a fully functional accounting suite Like QuickBooks the program is written by a company out of the UK. But it's fully functional in the US market.It will it will interact with your bank electronically if they support that. I never actually used it in a business environment but I did some classes on it. And I thought it was very accessible and worked well. And it was actually written to be accessible. I was exposed to it at the Idaho commission for the blind when I was going to school there.

Randy Barnett

On Aug 17, 2021, at 9:10 PM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

Adrian Spratt

For the record, I believe this program was developed in New Zealand. A country that small deserves credit for all the great work they do.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 8:03 PM

cash manager is a fully functional accounting suite Like QuickBooks the program is written by a company out of the UK. But it's fully functional in the US market.It will it will interact with your bank electronically if they support that. I never actually used it in a business environment but I did some classes on it. And I thought it was very accessible and worked well. And it was actually written to be accessible. I was exposed to it at the Idaho commission for the blind when I was going to school there.

Randy Barnett

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

yeah I was just going from memory from 2016. But thanks for the correction.

Randy Barnett

On Aug 19, 2021, at 8:09 PM, Adrian Spratt <adrian@...> wrote:

For the record, I believe this program was developed in New Zealand. A country that small deserves credit for all the great work they do.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 8:03 PM

Randy Barnett

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I use Quickbooks Online without any issue.

The advantage is that you can do it from any browser, and there is a mobile app too.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 18 August 2021 06:13

Phillip Gross

I have narrowed it down to FreshBooks or QuickBooks at this point. I've read that FreshBooks used to be accessible, but they took a step back in accessibility. That was a couple of years ago though, so anything could have changed. I've heard from enough of you that QuickBooks is accessible. FreshBooks is the less expensive of the two. Now, it's just deciding which one of them will serve my needs better.

Betsy Binney

If you’d like a CPA’s opinion I have used Quickbooks for tears and I have been blind most of those years. Best of luck.  

Betsy R. Binney
meandbastet@...

On Aug 24, 2021, at 1:24 AM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

I have narrowed it down to FreshBooks or QuickBooks at this point. I've read that FreshBooks used to be accessible, but they took a step back in accessibility. That was a couple of years ago though, so anything could have changed. I've heard from enough of you that QuickBooks is accessible. FreshBooks is the less expensive of the two. Now, it's just deciding which one of them will serve my needs better.

Glenn / Lenny

Yeah, doing accounting would bring me to tears too.
LOL
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 2:18 AM

If you’d like a CPA’s opinion I have used Quickbooks for tears and I have been blind most of those years. Best of luck.  

Betsy R. Binney

Steve Nutt

Not only that, I was involved with Ted Drake, the accessibility manager at Intuit, and between us, we got a lot of accessibility fixes done on the website.

So I would contend it is now very accessible.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Betsy Binney
Sent: 24 August 2021 08:18

Betsy R. Binney

meandbastet@...

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

To be clear, you are talking about the online version of Quick books not the stand-alone.  I’ve heard from lots of folks that the online version works well with a screen reader.

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 1:46 AM

Not only that, I was involved with Ted Drake, the accessibility manager at Intuit, and between us, we got a lot of accessibility fixes done on the website.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Betsy R. Binney

Steve Nutt

Yes indeed, I use Quickbooks Online.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 26 August 2021 15:10

To be clear, you are talking about the online version of Quick books not the stand-alone.  I’ve heard from lots of folks that the online version works well with a screen reader.

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 1:46 AM

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Betsy R. Binney